Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cp200 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cp200
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2015 07:29 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any value in these processors, took mine out replaced w/a cp650 works great w/ the 70, being it`s just dts now. there still has to be a few running out there.

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2015 07:58 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know about the value but the Grand Lake has one in service in side 1. A second in stand-by in side 2. California in San Jose CA has one in service as well.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2015 08:55 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan if you ever can`t find parts let me know, i can imagine there a lot of them sitting on the shelf out your way

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-08-2015 09:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still use them in our 70mm venues...the AFI/Silver and the Library of Congress. It is the most awesome sound processor for Cinema...ever.

Alas, it doesn't have much place in the DCinema world though.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/picview.php?id=4785&category=1

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-08-2015 09:58 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just sold one after all these years complete with MPU and a pile of SR cards.

It took me 3 units to make one good unit as the front doors had various problems, one had a dead section in the display, the second would not correctly generate the number selected on register B BCD switches. So, out of 3 units I now have two units that don't work and no easy way to fix either except to find more front doors.

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2015 10:07 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve I got to get and see some these places, been working to much. what a set up, did`nt have that many toys on mine, was running it w/ a d/a converter for a while. kept mag peamp in place just in case.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-09-2015 06:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 2013, the AFI underwent an "update" of sorts. The "video" and A/V parts of the system was revamped. What was once all analog video (except for broadcast which was/is SDI) is now all digital traveling on Crestron DM systems with HDMI carrying picture and sound. The digital projectors changed from Barco DP50s (thats right, the AFI ran DP50s for 10-1/2 years...DCinema "series 0" or "Mark VII" for those that knew that generation) to Christie 4K projectors.

As such, I elected to put a digitally based audio processor AFTER the film processors. Digital sources (DCP, Blu-Ray...etc.) do not flow through the CP200 (or Panastereos in the smaller theatres) but get a direct digital shot to the cinema processor/EQ and then just one D/A conversion to the amplifiers. This avoids having a D/A conversion then have a 8-channel analog audio path to feed through the film-based processors only to be converted back to digital for EQ/Crossover and then back to analog. It makes the digital signal path clean and simple and also means that all of the "legacy" stuff didn't have to be touched at all. The down side is that form "film" there are now 2 volume controls. We opted to have the digital processors to "jump" to unity when film is selected so all of the old volume settings used before are the same and the remote at each projector also remain active and as functional as ever.

The digital sound processor we went with was the QSC DCP300 due to its flexibility (lots of inputs and outputs in it plus crossover and monitoring). It isn't perfect by any stretch and not as flexible as the CP200 is but it did meet the needs of the number of inputs (16-channels of AES, 8-channel analog, 6-channel analog, 16-channels of Cobranet {bi-directional}, plus a S/PIDF and analog stereo input.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey David, sent you a PM

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2015 08:00 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one with an MPU for my screening room. When the Century 21, 22, and 23 theaters in San Jose closed down last year there was a pile of them upstairs in the 22 booth. They were all scrapped as far as I know. Sad. It's getting harder to find cards for these now. I finally found all of the necessary cards to interface it with a DA-20 a few years ago. I paid more for just those cards than I did for the whole processor back in 2008. I'd like an Aux rack for mine someday. Sam was quite helpful when I was getting it all hooked up for the first time. Thanks Sam!

David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2015 08:41 PM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason i never got the pm

Bill Elam
Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2015 10:46 PM      Profile for Bill Elam   Email Bill Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just dug out my CP200. One of the power supply's front panel had been damaged. The three fuse holders are busted and the guard around the power button is bent. Odd fuse holders. Not sure where to buy them since I am not in the biz anymore. Ideas?

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-08-2015 12:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where to source the exact same fuse holder (Sam may know the make/model). But you are looking for 5x20mm fuse holders (panel mount).

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-08-2015 08:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bill, nice seeing your name pop up.

I have more PSI's than I need so would make one available to you. I have no parts for these though.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-09-2015 06:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<shameless plug> We will update CP200 power supplies for "switch mode" such that they will put out the proper voltages without high ripple. That said, you'd still need the fuse holders since we deliberately keep the exterior looking/acting like the original.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-09-2015 04:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And since I had Steve rebuild a pair for me I can absolutely vouch for the fact that it performs 100% flawlessly without the slightest hint of noise.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: