Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How many hours of 35mm film will an AW3 platter hold? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How many hours of 35mm film will an AW3 platter hold?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-19-2010 09:48 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we do the Twilight/New Moon showing on 6/29, I'm considering building the prints together and just setting the cues to bring the lights up and down. I would probably use trailers to build a 10-15 minute intermission between the two.

As a side note question, has anyone ever run an interlock this way? I would be interlocking 2 projectors.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-19-2010 09:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film is much thinner now. Should work OK. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-19-2010 10:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
52 inch decks can hold (acetate) 4.5hrs of film.

This is where SPECO came up with their platter name "LP-270" - 270 minutes (4.5hrs) of film on one of their metal decks.

It's quite common to see a double feature stacked on one deck.

"Twilight" was around 130 min and "New Moon" was around 126 min. Then add your 15min trailer pak inbetween, and it's gonna be a full deck.

I'd recommend having a film wrap made to go around that entire roll so that end will definitely not go loose on you since you're gonna be right close to that edge.

-Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-19-2010 11:22 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I'd recommend having a film wrap made to go around that entire roll so that end will definitely not go loose on you since you're gonna be right close to that edge.
http://www.film-tech.com/products/safetyring.html [Razz]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-19-2010 11:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen my fair share of tail wraps, I'm curious why you'd want to run the risk of disaster, rather than play it safe and prepare them on individual platters? It takes only 2-3 minutes to rethread...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 01:01 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Manny
There are actually several different reasons why I would want to do it. The main reason is I will have so many film built up at that time I may need it just so I have enough platter decks and centering rings.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 01:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot about that safety ring thingey.

Was thinking on something that didn't have to cost - like a scrap piece of film and wrap this around the print and tape the end down securely and write on the tape what the title is.

Some M/O's have to think, "not spending money" when what you got will do justice.

thx-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-20-2010 01:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A piece of film or nylon with velcro won't keep a print on the platter, though. It can't prevent it from moving... at all. The Safety Ring keeps it on the deck. I should find some of the video I took when testing the Safety Ring before it was released. It took quite a shock and yet the print remained on the deck.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2010 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the F-T platter ring. Best thing ever made for platters. It costs far far less than just one lost show due to thrown print or a tail wrap. A film ring is still does not offer enough safety factor.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 09:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed here too. We've done two movies on one platter here since 1980. The platter ring took at least 98% of the worry out of it.

One thing to keep in mind though, those are fairly long movies and it's possible the Film-Tech ring might not fit (it extends into the platter about 1.5" all around).

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 09:54 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your platter is timed spot on (20 rpm high, 1 rpm low), you may want to slow it down just a touch. In my experience, the "ideal" timing settings will try to fling a print of that size at some point after the two hour mark. While a platter ring should prevent it going over the edge, it is still preferable to keep it from moving in the first place.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We did extensive testing of the safety ring with all lengths of films with the worst possible timing settings we could manage, and also with 70mm film. We were unable to toss the film, even when we went in and intentionally jacked the last half hour of a long movie into an "S" and a "U" shape around the brain.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Galen... If you time your platters as per Brad's notes on the "Tips" page it won't throw a print. If you time them the Christie way it will throw a print.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2010 06:11 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
twilight is about 2:01, new moon about 2:10. i'm planning on doubling them on a platter without joining them, so they take up less space and i have more control over when the second one starts. of course i'll have to thread twice that way.

i assume i'll have 4 different films playing that day on that screen so i won't have platter decks to spare. glad to have a safety ring.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't have platters anymore, as I am out of the biz now, but in my experience running Indian movies, I found that Christie spec was a surefire way to throw long prints, and using the timing method from the tips section was not foolproof either. On prints in excess of 8 reels plus rolling stock and trailers, in order to prevent thrown prints entirely, I timed platters using the Film-Tech recommendations, then dialed back the high speed to about 18 rpm or so. This is just what worked at my building for me.

I've never had platter rings, nor was it possible for me to get them. I think it would still be preferable for the print not to move, because sometimes even if the print stays on the deck, it can start a brain wrap, but I could be missing something.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: