Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Blowers: Rooftop or in-booth? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blowers: Rooftop or in-booth?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 08:48 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that warm weather is upon us, I need to exhaust the lamphouses outside. The way the equipment was left by previous management had a Dayton blower literally laying on top of the projector vent stack. Not bolted, just depending on gravity, though from the amount of dried adhesive around the collar, it looked as though the had it duct taped at some point.

The ceiling duct is clear, though the cap on the roof top needs replaced.

What are people's thoughts on the types of blower installations? I long for the day when I don't have a blower in the booth itself, just from a noise perspective. But if a rooftop unit fails, I'm sure repairing it would be more of a hassle than a ceiling mounted one.

I need to have electrical run either way, so looking for opinions.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2010 09:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See this thread for useful info. Being that far north I would go with the indoor units so you don't have to worry much about clearing snow from around a rooftop unit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2010 12:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..If you're going in-booth, have the blower away from the machinery so the motor vibrations doesn't resonate into the console or lamphouse.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-05-2010 01:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any issues with snow on top of the rooftop units here in Colorado.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2010 01:42 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently installed a new lamphouse, and the exhaust blower
on the old one was "mounted" (or, more accurately: "sitting")
on top of the lamphouse vent stack in much the same way David
described his installation.

Fortunately, I had access to the attic space between the
booth ceiling and the theater roof, so I simply moved the
blower from on top of the lamphouse up into the attic above
the booth by screwing it to a base and then screwing that
into the metal ceiling joists above the booth.

I also slightly re-routed the flex duct from its' original
path and in doing so I was able to remove two 90deg bends
which greatly improved airflow.

The blower is not entirely "out of sight, out of mind",
since I occasionally have to go up into that attic for
other maintence issues. That will give me a chance to
periodically check it.

Here's A Picture Taken When I
Was Working On The Installation:
 -

Another thing you might want to consider is an "Inline
Exhaust Fan". I used one of these at a theater last year
whose ancient roof exhaust system finially rusted out.
They're relatively inexpensive and come in a variety
of duct sizes and CFM's. It came with brackets which
made it easy to mount it to the booth ceiling above
the projector. They're very quiet, and I got it (new)
on e-bay for around $100 including shipping.

Here's what one looks like:
 -

This worked out so well, they had me install a
2nd one in another booth since it was only a matter
of time before that exahust system failed too.

Search e-bay for "inline exhaust fan" and you'll
find quite a selection. Good Luck!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have rooftop blowers at my location. They were installed in 1984, and all ran fine until the last couple of years. I am replacing them one at a time as they go bad.

Even with all the snow we have had here on the east coast this winter, I have never had a problem with snow blocking the ventilation system.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2010 04:12 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are at an old GC from the 1980's the hvac guys keep saying they pull 200 cfm i have yet to believe them.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and in all due actuality, 200cfm's is a bit too low. If you can get it up double the flow past 400cfm's, the bulbs will like you much better...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-05-2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cost is worth it in bulb savings. Louis

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 05:36 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say 200 i say BS i opened one up today to find the belt was falling apart like totally delaminating or splitting to a point were at some parts it was a quarter the thickness. we have 2 projectors that share a roof top can you say cook an egg on top of the lamp house. They are all 2k bulbs to. Trust me I look at the cost of bulbs vs new vents and shake my head they cut our hours back recently.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2010 05:50 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My blowers are all rated 300 cfm. I get 3000 hours from my 2K lamps.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2010 05:30 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider yourself lucky. Some of our theaters get a dark spot on the bulb in the first few weeks it just fades dark at the top of the bulb.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2010 06:16 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason to not install these inline blowers on the lamphouse? They do not seem to cause any vibration to the lamphouse.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-11-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only issue is if there is an existing blower elsewhere on the line as you could cause a change to the overal system draft

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-11-2010 10:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will notice with in line blowers that eventually the Ozone will cause failure. It looks like corrosion. In line is absolutely no good except for a shurt time.

Squirrel blowers are not hard. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: