Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamp life superior bulbs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lamp life superior bulbs
Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 01:42 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We currently use superior bulbs models sx20002 and sx160002 i have noticed that each time i get the bulb the warranty has been lowered. We started with 2200 hours 6 months ago we are now at 1300 hours. We have sent in a 2 or 3 bulbs trying to claim the warranty. One due to a flicker after 1300 hours. One due to a seal failure. I think we sent one more in for another reason.
Superior bulbs are getting anywhere from 700 to 2000 hours depending on our theaters. We currently have roof top ventilators from 1980 and they are all dieing. We have put cruddy booster fans on top of our projectors which are old super highlights mfg in march of 1989. The lamps i am assuming are getting a shortened life due to low exhaust airflow. Anyone know of any other reason. Our company is worried about spending money but doesn't seem to get it through their head that they are wasting more cash on bulbs then they would if they would fix the darn exhaust vents. Also someone previous cut all the exhaust cut fail safes out. I have yet to see one make 2000 hours but we are whiten 300 hundred hours of our biggest theater hitting 2000 hours. Its dimming slightly.
Comments would be very helpful Its ridiculous that its so hard to get things that save money.

and does anyone know any film techs that serve the northern Illinois region.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 06:35 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
If you don't find any techs, let me know. I am about 6 hours away.
Rick

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-23-2010 06:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 fix the blowers. I remove all of the mechanism on the roof and then add a new blower from Grainger in the line. Use search for part numbers.

#2 Look up Osram and Christie bulbs on search as well. Certain bulbs behave differently with different rectifiers. Christie seems to have an advantage with switchr rectifier (unknown in KY). Bothe have "superior. . . hours warrantys" compared to what you report.

No bulb. . . not even an excellent one, can survive overheating.

I expect 4-5000+ hours Osram with IREM rectifier. Same for Christie rectifiers. Usually less with other equipment.

Yes, over time, it saves money to repair problems and ditch equipment that does not support long bulb life. Yes, even enough money to replace the consoles. (Should be cheap now with the rich buying digital. Louis

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 01:03 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
get some christie bulbs (best i've dealt with) and definitely make sure that you are changing the exhaust fans so they work, we had this issue and it KILLED our bulbs until we fixed it, once it was fixed we've been normal on bulb hours for that auditorium.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 05:15 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same lamp houses and switched to Christie CXL-20R's about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I just pulled one out that had almost 4500 hrs on it due to flickering and the current was maxed out. The bulb itself was only slightly cloudy. I also had all of our roof top exhaust units changed last summer and now average 450cfm at the stack opening. I also doubled up the blower motors that force air over bulb. I plan to cut the existing 6" opening to an 8" get up to around 900cfm.

The only other change that has been made since they were installed in 1988 is that over the 20+ yrs all the high reactance rectifiers have been replaced with switchers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2010 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
fix the blowers. I remove all of the mechanism on the roof and then add a new blower from Grainger in the line.
Man! Above all DO NOT USE ANY BLOWERS FROM GRAINGER!!! They used to be good but the Chinese motors they are using now are absolute crap.

Look into the Fan Tech In-Line Turbine Exhaust Blowers. Not only are they all ball bearing but the size to air flow ratio is tremendous. They also do not vibrate at all and are easier to mount. In my book there is no other blower to be using excepting a master exhaust system... they can be mail ordered for LESS money than the equivalent Grainger blower. Hope this helps...

quote: Jeremy Weigel
The only other change that has been made since they were installed in 1988 is that over the 20+ yrs all the high reactance rectifiers have been replaced with switchers.
HA! And there are people in this thread that will tell you switchers suck! (not me)

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 08:04 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 of the black suitcase switchers that have been in use for 15+ years without any problems.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 08:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, STRONG Switchers and Christie bulbs get along real fine.

Somehow, you shove an OSRAM or a Philips/LTI in the loop and you got problems ...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2010 10:32 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed that Grainger motors are no longer any good. I buy their blower and then use an AO Smith motor (not from Grainger) with it.

btw: AOSmith, made in Mexico, appears to originate from the old Grainger factory; 40% cheaper, too. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-25-2010 12:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Look into the Fan Tech In-Line Turbine Exhaust Blowers. Not only are they all ball bearing but the size to air flow ratio is tremendous. They also do not vibrate at all and are easier to mount. In my book there is no other blower to be using excepting a master exhaust system... they can be mail ordered for LESS money than the equivalent Grainger blower.
I can also vouch for Mark's statements. I used these in my recent screening room and although they don't have a lot of hours on them, the airflow from them is tremendous.

Don't buy anything but a Christie bulb. Nothing comes close.

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 01:59 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So do you guys just gut the old roof top units then and use them as a vent. When you put the inline in. Right now we kind of limp along with our roof top units. We have 2 theaters that actually share a single unit but that's a different problem all together.

The original super highlights when cooled properly shouldn't get much more then warm on the front top of the lamp house. I know our super lumexs are like hotplates.

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 03:18 PM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The warranty of the Superior Lamps has actually increased. The "1300" hour you note is just the first half of the warranty for full value. There is still the additional 1300 hours of pro-rated coverage, so the full warranty period is 2600 hours.

As for the evacuation problem, I agree completely, as in my years of designing, installing, and servicing lamphouses and consoles, heat is the enemy, get it out. I have seen many combinations of lamps run with varied rectifiers. As long as the rectifier has smooth output with no problems, all magnetic stabilization is present and properly oriented in the light engine, any lamp should last.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2010 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Reiter
There is still the additional 1300 hours of pro-rated coverage, so the full warranty period is 2600 hours.
Humm, I know your lamps are great but the warranty is not so good. No one is pro rating lamp life on that size any longer. Both Osram XL and Christie are 100% till the end of rated life.

quote: Michael Voiland
So do you guys just gut the old roof top units then and use them as a vent. When you put the inline in.
Yep... And for areas that get cold in the fall/winter and for all digital projectors an automatic non-return damper is reccomended so you don't get a cold blast of winter air back down a dead stack onto a still warm lamp... Some local codes now require automatic dampers hooked to the fire alarm system.

quote: Louis Bornwasser
I buy their blower and then use an AO Smith motor (not from Grainger) with it.
I was doing the same thing until I tried Fan Tech... Too much running around and I think there is only one AO-Smith motor that fits...

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2010 11:11 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any suggestions on exhaust for super highlights. And i will look into getting fan tech motors. 120 is not tough and a damper. Better then replacing bulbs every 1000 hours.

Also does anyone know the Christie bulb equivalent for sx20002 and sx16002

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2010 12:07 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Superior's cross reference guide the Christie equivalent to the sx16002 is a CXL-16SC and the sx20002 is a CXL-2000/20R.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: