Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's this bore for (Century)? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's this bore for (Century)?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-04-2009 11:29 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the purpose of the 1/2" bore between the operator's side and the driving side on a Century, to the right of the intermittent and beneath the lens mount?

Taking a decent picture of a Century from the Warehouse (Broadway Cinemas, Tillsenbourg, Ontario, Canada), here's the bore circled in green:

-

(It has a 1/2" steel plug in it.)

What's it for? Bypass roller or sprocket to skip optical sound?
(What else do people use it for?)

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 03:25 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a plug or could it be a shaft for a connecting gear? Just a wild guess. What's it look like on the drive side?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 06:51 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question!

I have always thought it might be to allow a different pad assembly for Cinerama, etc. (No optical soundhead) I've never seen it used otherwise.

Perhaps a reference point during manufacturing??? Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2009 07:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the age of the Century design, I am quite sure this wasn't the original intent, but I have seen Centurys that had a special cue detector mounted here. In fact the GCC Northpark theaters had them installed with the Cinemation 2000 automation, but we took them out and ran manually since the cues had to be over the picture.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2009 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there used to exist a pad roller assy. they went in that hole. Over the years I've had a couple of C model machines with them. There were some conditions where the lower mounted pad roller couldn't be used such as in dailies projection. Cinerama was another good example. VistaVision also used that hole to mount the pad roller...

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 08:42 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, can you explain how that worked? The new pad roller would still clamp against the holdback sprocket, and then where would the film go to avoid the optical sound path? Surely you're not expected to modify the main frame...or is it intended for use with something other than an R3, or something mounted between the R3 and the projector head?

(I'm mostly curious academically. I was thinking of mounting some fun stuff there, and of course the question of its real purpose came to mind.)

Robert: It's posssssssssssible, but I think unlikely. Go look at the driving side of a century, there are photos in the same collection that that one came from. The bore appears behind the vertical shutter adjustment shaft, and in fact, if you protrude more than 3/8" or so into the driving side, you restrict the range of the framing carriage (which is to say: you hit it). If you were really fancy/lucky/whatever, you might be able to mate with the holdback sprocket's fiber gear...

I expect the next Century C I see on EBay to be advertised as Cinerama Ready! [Smile]

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John; sometimes the RCA soundhead film path, when misthreaded, can allow the film to contact the normal Century pad assembly near the pivot point. It may well be much worse with other old soundhead, long forgotten. I think Mark is right about VV and Cinerama and, possibly, other older systems.

Remember in those days Century made a lot of different models. I believe the SA was meant to be able to cover a great deal of territory so that custom made machines were either not required or could at least be done easily.

I think the "C" had a boss in that location, but not a hole. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-05-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, the machine in the picture is an "H" or an early SA with an H style trap. Those traps suck!

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 12:53 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating.

Actually, we've got a pair of Cs, both with the hole (and the boss). I'm afraid I was too lazy to trot out a camera...

--jhawk

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember that a special pad roller assembly was mounted into this bore replacing the normally used position pad roller, solely for the purpose of double head projection of picture and sound, the seperate track being magnetic or older optical. A slot was cut out at the lower back and front of the Century casing for the feed of the seperate sound track, and to the picture take-up split spool, also known as clover leaf projection. Picture and sound being constant driven together for sync through the lower Century sprocket.

I saw an installation of double head Westar's (Century) at the old Academy Cinema Oxford Street in London often used for morning test screenings and trade shows.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the photos of my VistaVision projector in the picture warehouse you'll see one of those pad roller assys. mounted in that upper boss.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 03:06 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Century JJ's I run, the post on which the
lower sprockets' dual 35/70mm pad roller assembly
pivots open and closed is anchored through that
hole by a flat-head screw on the gear side.

I'm not sure if the screw is countersunk but it
doesn't seem to interfere with the framing carriage.

-

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-09-2009 05:37 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jim. I should have remembered the JJ. (I have 6 of them) None arr still in use in theatres I service, although I once had 8 70mm houses.

That sure is an old JJ you have. Where is it? (2 of mine are s/n 104-105 from Oakland.. . . . #4 and #5 ever made.) Louis

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 09:30 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis:
The JJ in the picture is at The Presidio
Theater (built in 1937) in San Francisco.
Here's a wider shot of the whole machine.
 -

I'd say this JJ dates to the mid 1960's based on
what I know about that theaters' history. I don't
have the serial number in front of me- - I'll edit
this message to include it later.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-09-2009 09:41 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do all centuries use the same main frame casting? I had assumed it would be different between the C and the JJ, f'rinstance...

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: