Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Moving Prints Between Two Buildings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Moving Prints Between Two Buildings
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since acquiring two theaters in the same town our booker has arranged many prints to be transported from the first-run location down to the sub-run. Clamping prints works, but I'm looking for some other alternative for safe moving. The other operators like these, but I'm certain they're way out-of-line in terms of price.

What other recommendations are out there?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 10:52 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a version of that but we made them ourselves. It just takes some woodworking skills and won't set you back too far budget-wise. If I can, I'll get a photo of one and post it.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 11:00 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I frequently have to move prints between our cinema and drive-in. In the past I've just clamped the prints and moved them. But this year I started breaking them down onto two 6K reels and then winding them back on at the drive-in. It's a little more time consuming, but there is far less risk. Plus, anything over about 110min didn't fit well in my car.

I still use the clamps if I'm pressed for time, but the 6K reels works well and it doesn't cost anything extra.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 11:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do clamps and a pizza board made out of 3/8" plywood with dimensions of 32"x36" for print moving.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 03:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had good luck using the Print Pocket for transporting between theatres

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 04:22 PM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the old "clamp it and CAREFULLY put it in the trunk" deal many times, never liked doing it. I've been a proponent of the Print Pocket for a while now, it has been a tremendous time saver for me and I believe, your best and safest option for transporting in a vehicle with the print still ring mounted. I do suggest getting a strip of double sided velcro (like the print bands) and loop it through the handle and the ring and sinch it down to keep it in the pocket. The last thing you want is a dropped print in the parking lot. Man, that would suck!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And in case the original poster isn't aware, the print pocket is pretty much identical to the thing linked to above. The only difference is that a print pocket can come both in a plywood model similar to the one linked above but also in plastic though all of them I've seen have wheels (the link above seems to indicate the wheels are optional).

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That thing that Aaron linked to is exactly the same thing (functionally) that we use except that one is tarted up to look like (and, no doubt, cost) a million dollars.

Like everyone else, we also use these sleeves to cart between sites. Depending on how tight the platter wind is, we may also use these in conjunction with a clamp or two.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 03:51 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, if you have any 13k reels floating around with your Christie equipment, those reels do fit the MUT if you move your rollers out of the way.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 04:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
That thing that Aaron linked to is exactly the same thing (functionally) that we use except that one is tarted up to look like (and, no doubt, cost) a million dollars.
Not quite, but close.

>>Recommended Customer Price: 328€/444€ (FC-100/FC-115)<< [eyes]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-11-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the answer to this question depends upon how much the operators at the two theatres trust each other.

I can count on one hand the number of people I know from whom I would accept a print without feeling the need to re-inspect it on the bench. I would never accept a plattered-and-clamped print from anyone else.

Unless there is a high degree of trust between the theatres, I would say that breaking the film down onto 6000' reels would be the safest approach. It minimizes the damage that can happen on breakdown and subsequent makeup because most features would only need to be handled in one place, but still allows bench inspection at the next house. It also reduces the print to smaller, lighter, more easily (and safely) handled units. Just be sure to add 10-20 feet of protective head and tail leader on each of the 6k' reels.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a film festival we used the 6,000 foot reels and enclosed them in plastic dry cleaner bags to help minimize dirt during transfer in the car.

One theatre is reel to reel and the other is platter. Both theatres have 1/2 inch shafts. Unfortunately, the over sized 6,000 foot reels from the platter house did not fit into the magazines of the reel house. The 6,000 foot reels from the big theatre had spacers for the 70mm magazines and did not fit on the spindle of the platter house MUT so a special shaft was machined to accommodate them.

KEN

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I regularly use the "Print Pocket" to move films between theaters located about two city blocks from each other.

It just happens to clamp perfectly into this bicycle-rack-thingy that one of the theater staff members has on the back of his car. However, in a pinch we have actually hand carried the print down the street.

THIS IS A PRINT POCKET
 -

We have two of them, but the theater owner doesn't remember where he got them. It has a little sticker attached giving the website of the manufacturer, but the URL no longer works.

Someone with carpentry skills could probably make something similar. It's made from masonite, with simple pine wood frame.
Very lightweight but strong. You can't see it, but there is a small weel on one end that allows you to roll it from one booth to another in the same theater, but IMO wheel isn't durable enough to roll down a city sidewalk without breaking off.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-11-2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much these pocket things cost, but they aren't anywhere as good of a method as using a Goldberg Platter Reel and simply winding up the last show on that and carrying the film on a reel to the next venue. The platter reels aren't that expensive AND they will MORE than pay for themselves with the drastic savings in buildup time on Thursday nights.

Read this and buy one

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 12:58 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Brad- - Do you know who sells/distributes the Goldberg Platter reel?

I'd considered buying one but the local theater suppliers I spoke to had either never heard of them or told me they were
no longer being made.
(I'm somwhat skeptical of that last remark, which came from a supplier who has a tendency to say that when HE doesn't carry a particular product in his inventory and wants to sell me something else)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: