Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Warner taking credit where credit isn't due (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Warner taking credit where credit isn't due
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to article

quote:
Warner's Launches Anti-Piracy Campaign For Dark Knight

28 July 2008 11:02 AM, PDT | From Studio Briefing | See recent Studio Briefing news

In advance of the release of The Dark Knight, Warner Bros. launched an unprecedented anti-piracy effort to prevent copies of the movie from being uploaded onto file-share websites and being distributed on DVD, the Los Angeles Times reported today (Monday). According to the newspaper, the studio set up a "chain of custody" system so that studio executives could keep track of who had prints of the movie and where they were at any given moment. The film reels were delivered in staggered shipments so that a complete version was not available in theaters until the last moment. Exhibitors in Australia, where the film opened two days in advance of its U.S. premiere, were given special night-vision goggles to help spot anyone in the audience attempting to camcord the movie. The strategy, according to the Times, kept any print of The Dark Night off the internet for 30 hours -- enough time to allow it to break box-office records in its first weekend. In an interview with the Times, Darcy Antonellis, president of Warner's distribution and technical operations, said, "A day or two becomes really, really significant. You've delayed disc manufacturing that then delays distribution,which then delays those discs from ending up on street corners for sale." (Many of those who buy bootlegged films insist that they are among the most devoted movie theater customers.)

Uh huh...ummmmmm, hey suit at Warner Brothers: did you know that your prints were at theaters COMPLETE well over 24 hours BEFORE the first showing?

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The strategy, according to the Times, kept any print of The Dark Night off the internet for 30 hours
Wow, 30 whole hours. The must have really hindered the people who want to watch crappy copies on their iPods. I guess they just gave up and went to the theatre opening day out of frustration.

If that's the best they can do they may as well give up. Maybe they should give up anyway.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I get a job in Hollywood?? Apparently they will hire just about anybody. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how and why this movie broke all box office records. If this movie made it onto the internet sooner or even before the film's release to the general public, I estimate that the total gross would have probably been in the range of $25-30 million, maybe less. And that's for its entire run. Warner Bros sure put the smack down with their smart anti-piracy tactics. Are they using top-level military strategists?

It is amazing how much damage piracy does. In fact, piracy is linked to:
-Terrorism
-AIDS
-Cancer
-Body odor
-Bad hair days
-Anything else that isn't positive

Please world, stop piracy! Please?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The strategy, according to the Times, kept any print of The Dark Night off the internet
I don't care if it is the L.A. Times, I don't trust any article that can't spell the name of a movie correctly throughout the article.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 11:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You've delayed disc manufacturing that then delays distribution,which then delays those discs from ending up on street corners for sale.
OK, that part may be true...but has this guy heard of that little thing called the internet? What's the point of being proud of keeping it off for 30 hours when at that point there can be millions of copies on hard drives around the world...immediately. I would have thought that avenue of distribution would be of more concern than folks selling it on the street corner.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2008 12:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. What kind of dumbass buys a bootleg copy off of a street corner (or anywhere else, for that matter) when it can be downloaded for free?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 01:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit to being somewhat pissed that they think their antipiracy efforts are what resulted in the much-better-than-usual opening. Of course it had nothing at all to do with the theatres providing a good movie experience and helping them market their film.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 02:53 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stupid Article
The strategy, according to the Times, kept any print of The Dark Night off the internet for 30 hours -- enough time to allow it to break box-office records in its first weekend.
They can't really believe that the reason it broke records is because it wasn't pirated before it's release.

If that's why it broke the record, how do they explain the all time biggest second weekend, then? Wouldn't it have plummeted after the bootleg was available?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 04:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and our two prints came in on Wed before opening friday, I put them both together and we ran them down that night to chek them out..

..and no locks on the cans ....

could the vidpirates have a heyday with this much time before opening....

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 05:17 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was also delivered more than 24 hours before the midnight opening.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 07:16 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their all just pissing in the wind... a good movie will make money at the theatre regardless of "Pirates" now those night vision goggles could have gone to good use at the lab I work at...no more stapling in the dark...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-30-2008 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing service at one theater in Wyoming that was already running theirs free of charge for employees at least 24 hours before they shouda been. This IS one thing digital will take care of and then Bollywood can fire all the suits that dream up these rediclous letters!!

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I knew you'd bring up digital cinema. And Bollywood is in India. But sure, fire 'em.

Theaters have every right to screen their prints.

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and digital cinema will stop things like...
- Terrorism
- Aids
- Cancer .....
[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: