Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm reel changes vs. 35mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm reel changes vs. 35mm
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been seeing some 70mm films at the AFI Silver for awhile now and I've noticed that the reel changes don't have the annoying reel change cigarette burns that 35mm prints have, why is there such a difference between the two? With Digital projection being the obvious cleaner option, why aren't studios making cigarette burns less obvious, or is there no way to change this?

Lastly what is the occasional white line blip on 35mm prints - what causes this imperfection to randomly appear?

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Jonathan.

Please don't refer to changeover cues as "cigarette burns." Many of us find the term offensive (do a search to see why in detail; suffice it to say that it is not a standard term used by professionals in this industry).

With respect your actual questions:

The 70mm prints I've seen do indeed carry changeover cues, but I don't have a lot of 70mm experience. But special prints (such as one-offs) are more likely to not have lab-printed changeover cues, and 70mm prints are generally not produced en masse. If a particular print without cues was never run changeover, cues would never be added.

Most of us don't consider 35mm changeover cues to be particularly annoying. This is obviously a personal preference, but there's not a lot of incentive to remove them.

Some labs do omit changeover cues from 35mm prints, particularly Eclair lab in France. This can lead to significant frustration for those who run prints changeover. It also leads to projectionists incorrectly adding changeover cues with improper tools or in the wrong position, producing a result much more noticable than standard lab changeover cues.

Changeover cues are often valuable indicators of where the actual end of a reel is, either because the reel ends in a fade to black, or because the reel has been abused and frames have been cut off.

It's not clear what you mean by the "white line blip," please be more descriptive. One phenomenon that might match that description is a "negative splice," which can appear as a white line between frames. These splices, on the camera negative or some intermediate element, are required to be outside the visible frame area, and if you see them, it is most likely a framing error on the part of the projectionist. There have been a handful of cases (like The Passion of Christ) where a lab error has resulted in negative splices being visible, but those are extremely rare. I cannot recall one in the past four years.

--jhawk

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 11:16 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've obviously seen "Fight Club."
Cue marks, not "cigarette burns," only Ed Norton calls them that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note too...that 70mm cues are at the same diameter, on the film, as the 35mm cues and they are often a bit on the inside. As a result, they are smaller, when projected and are rock-steady...they tend to be less noticable.

The white line flashes, if that is what you are describing, if on "scope" films are most likely negative splice flash. Most of the time, they can be hidden by proper framing. If you are seeing them (would occur on each change in perspective or scene change), a complaint to the booth should bring about immediate correction. If happening at the AFI/Silver...some embarrassment should also come about. Those guys are normally pretty good about getting such things right. Now some films have the flash too far into the picture and while you can frame for dead center...every once in a while a flash will creep through but this is very rare.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, does the AFI/Silver run 70mm changeover or plattered?

--jhawk

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet he's not referring to negative splices in his "white line blip" but is referring to a chemical splice.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 12:04 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Please don't refer to changeover cues as "cigarette burns." Many of us find the term offensive (do a search to see why in detail; suffice it to say that it is not a standard term used by professionals in this industry).
I'm truly sorry.

the white line glitch I am referring to doesn't seem like something that can be solved by reframing - it's a white line that extends from side to side that just randomly pops up and not just at the AFI Silver - this print imperfection seems inherent to 35mm. I've been noticing this more and more with new 35mm prints.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 12:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is where a chemical splice or lab splice has been made. It is a process of connecting raw stock together during a processing run and the splice has a one in four chance of hitting the frame line. Do a search you will find information on here about that too. A professional would either reject the reel and get another or in most cases cut the frame out if the splice runs across the picture. You leave it in if it is on the frame line. It is less distracting if one frame is missing then having that splice flash on the screen.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 12:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hmm, I was mostly through typing this when Darryl posted, sorry for any duplicate information).

Can you describe this white line in more detail? Does it look like this:
 -

in which case, it's what Chris referred to as a "chemical splice" above, though actually they are ultrasonic splices done in the labs under darkroom conditions, and are usually referred to as "lab splices."

They happen because raw stock comes on 6,000 foot rolls and release printers spit out individual reels (around 1,800 feet each) continuously, so the raw stock has to be spliced together before it goes into the printer, and thus before there is any idea of the frameline. As a result, about one in every three reels has one of these defects.

There are some differing schools of thought on what to do. Some people splice the frame out (which gives a momentarily but perceptable glitch in both the audio and picture continuity), and others thing the lab splice itself is less distracting than they side effects of such mitigation. (Do a search for "lab splice" to see these past discussions.)

--jhawk

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
(Do a search for "lab splice" to see these past discussions.)
thanks, will do.

as to the original question - the reason I ask is that a few movies I've seen recently on the large Uptown theatre screen here in the District, a very washed out print of 'Iron Man' produced some of the worst very visible reel change marks I've ever seen. 'Jumper' another film that looked nearly devoid of color on Uptown's screen looked terrible as well. Other's I've talked to have said that it's a projector bulb issue and not print flaws, but when you have everything going against it, a flawed 35mm print projected on a very large curved screen makes them even more pronounced - the cinematic appeal loses out. I think I was jaded by the seeing and experiencing '2001' in 70mm at the Silver Theatre.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-08-2008 01:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Uptown, while a once-grand cinema, has fallen on hard times. 35mm has never looked right there, even before. This is a house that screams out for 70mm; it can look/sound magnificant there.

The screen is 60+ feet wide and the throw is only a little bit more. 35mm shows all of its faults clearly. Ask Steve. Louis

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
35mm has never looked right there, even before.
the only two, recent, 35mm films I saw there that really impressed me where 'Dreamgirls' and 'V for the Vendetta' (oddly, at the end of it's run)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-08-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Run 70mm on a platter? At the AFI/Silver? (where is Tim's laughing guy graemlin when I need it?).

While there IS a platter within the AFI/Silver facility...it is used as a back up to theatres #2 and #3 as they only have two film projectors, each. The other idea for it was if they were to have an extended run but with few shows on any given week. I think it has achieved less than 100 hours in 5-years.

In the Historic theatre at the AFI/Silver...there are 4 film projectors and no platter. All 70mm runs on reels and the reels are not built up...they run them as they were originally balanced.

It is odd that Jon used "2001" as his Uptown comparison since 2001 was World Premiered at the Uptown! I've personally shown 2001 at the Uptown in 70mm and it was, by far, the best venue to see it in.

35mm at the Uptown is indeed tough...especially "scope" As most know, I left the Uptown in 2005 when, in my belief, it was systematically downgraded in its presentation standards...it also happened to be that my regular job would have required many leave-of-absences from the theatre. As such, I left.

The projection quality there can be no better than the people that are showing the movie, the equipment in use and, to a greater extent, the company/management that sets the quality level. The equipment has fallen into dissrepair, the personel are not projectionists (including one that has made a career of it.) and the current management does not know how to run a presentation house such as the Uptown.

You have the other situation in that there is not a long term lease on the theatre. As such, nobody is going to invest heavily in it with only a few months of potential return.

Mark my words, the Uptown could, relatively easily, be returned to her former glory and, in my opinion, be one of the best venues to see a motion picture in the world, not just the Mid-Atlantic area.

And Louis is right...70mm is a must for a screen such as the Uptown's...it is over 70-feet around the arc, that is 16-feet deep and the projection throw is only 84-feet. You ARE immersed into the image with all its glory or flaws. 2K DIs will always SUCK here. Super-35 also shows every bit of grain.

I'm glad you liked the AFI's presenation of "2001." Do everyone a favor and request more 70mm shows (of as many titles as possible).

Steve

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-09-2008 07:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Note too...that 70mm cues are at the same diameter, on the film, as the 35mm cues and they are often a bit on the inside. As a result, they are smaller, when projected and are rock-steady...they tend to be less noticable.

I haven't seen any 70mm for some years now except for '2001' at Bradford in March. From memory, I think the cues on most of the 70mm prints have been scribed directly on the print, rather than being printed from the interneg as most 35mm ones are. The scribed cues generally seem to be quite small, whereas many of the printed ones seem to be growing in recent years, and some are absolutely huge, and ugly, now. Of course, it's even worse on a 'scope print. Some of the printed cues I've seen have been well over 3mm in diameter. I don't know the reason for this, maybe it's a Disability Discrimination Act thing; you still have to be able to see to do a changeover even if you're almost totally blind. [Confused] It looks really bad on screen.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-09-2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to do changeovers without any visible cues. There are a number of ways, but the most reliable I used to use was 'click strips'. This involved using a footage and frame counter to identify the two sets of four frames where the cue marks should be, and then applying one layer of splicing tape over one of those four complete frames (not with the edge of the tape across the middle of a frame, for obvious reaons). The audible 'click' as the tape goes through the projector gate acts as an alternative to the visible cues. After the show you can peel away the splicing tape with no visible evidence remaining, assuming you've used good quality tape in the first place.

When I used to get showprints, archive prints, otherwise valuable elements or ordinary prints without cues and I didn't have a scriber, I always used to use this method rather than deface the film with DIY chinagraph slashes or whatever. With some types of projector it's easier to hear the click than with others, but if you run a loop with the tape strips on so that you know what you're listening out for before the show, you shouldn't have any problem hearing them unless the ambient noise in the booth is really loud.

So it may be that the print Jonathan saw was cued using a method that did not involve on-screen cues.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: