Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wall*e where should i cut the 5th reel ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Wall*e where should i cut the 5th reel ?
Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm putting Wall*E together as i'm typing this and the 5th reel is really dark at the end... where should i cut it ?

1- Where there is a yellow line/dot ?
2- At the last visible square ?

Input would be appreciated within a few minutes, thx.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 06:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 24 frames from the last changover dot, so count from there. If the film is totally dark and you can't see the frames, hold up another length of film with frames to compare. Don't go by that last visable frame.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 07:20 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't I read somewhere here there is a 'last frame' marking on the print?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. All of our reels had a big arrow with "Cut Here" on all the tails.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 08:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake Lafree said this on the FI&TA forum:

quote:
Some of the "Cut Here" marks are incorrect (at least on my 3 prints). Either they are a half sprocket off or 1 full sprocket off.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 08:44 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished building our print. All of the tails have a "Cut Here" mark (but only reel 4 and 5 end in black) and the head of reel 6 also has the cut here mark. However, if you cut exactly at the tip of the "Cut Here" arrow, you'll be 1 perforation/sprocket off. Since we have a frame counter, I just went out to the tail and then back to the cut point to verify where to cut.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How unfortunate [Frown]

Anyone know who runs projection.pixar.com? Someone should tell them and get it updated with this info. [Maybe Tal, you know?]

Speaking of which, in the checkframe section, they give footage counts for reels and for heads and tails, but they're a bit perplexing. For instance, for R5:

quote: REEL 5

Footage: 1665'+6
Head: 16'+4
Reel 5 - Head Tail: 84'+6

Surely there aren't really 84 feet of tail? (most other reels have numbers like 9', 13', etc.) Is that conveivably the length of the final scene on that reel? And so it's a minute-long "take"?

--jhawk

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 10:10 PM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the "cut here" arrows are one perf off, dont trust 'em!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2008 01:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
There are 24 frames from the last changover dot
Actually it is 18 unless Wally is special.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-27-2008 02:16 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive seen both. The print of Shark Tale we're playing right now for the kids matinee has 24.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 10:02 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Late last nite (just before 11pm-Pacific) I got a FAX from Pixar stating that the "cut here" arrows could be off "a perf or TWO". I'd already figured this out for myself, since I built up a preview print earlier in the week.

I found my cut points using an editing synchonizer (Similar to a frame counter, but much bigger sprocket wheels and a lot easier on the film)and working backwards from a good frame on the tail leader. That way I didn't have to handle any of the the "projectable" part of the film.

Here's a quote from the FAX:
"The tip of the cut here arrow is one or two perfs away from the frame line as indicated on a reel with a bright first frame. Remember, all frame lines in black are one or two perfs away from the tip of the cut here arrow"

[ 06-28-2008, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Jim Cassedy ]

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 11:33 AM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From http://projection.pixar.com/
quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING PRINTS OF WALL•E [26june 10pm]

An issue has come to our attention concerning the "Cut Here" line on each reel. All "Cut Here" leaders on WALL•E should be cut on the frame line not the tip of the "Cut Here" arrow. The "Cut Here" arrow is 1 perf away from the frame-line as indicated on a reel with a bright first frame. We are really sorry if there is any confusion.
Remember all frame lines in black are 1 perf away from the tip of the "Cut Here" Arrow.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called Technicolor about 7:00pm PST to let them know about this problem. I don't know if others called, but I'm impressed that they sent out a broadcast fax so quickly.

Laurie Higgins
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Laurie Higgins   Author's Homepage   Email Laurie Higgins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING PRINTS OF WALL•E [26june 10pm]

An issue has come to our attention concerning the "Cut Here" line on each reel. All "Cut Here" leaders on WALL•E should be cut on the frame line not the tip of the "Cut Here" arrow. The "Cut Here" arrow is 1 perf away from the frame-line as indicated on a reel with a bright first frame. We are really sorry if there is any confusion.
Remember all frame lines in black are 1 perf away from the tip of the "Cut Here" Arrow."

---Man this would have been nice to know last night. Also, as hard as I tried, I couldn't see the freaking frame lines because the film was so dark so I just trusted the cut here arrows.

So yeah, my print just went out of frame, yay!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 02:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I am old fashioned but before I make a cut I use the frame finder (aka footage counter) to verify the frame line I am splicing on and if booth staff did that father than relying on other things there would not be a problem

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: