Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Handling Gloves Part II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film Handling Gloves Part II
Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 09:00 AM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there was a previous post on "Film Handling Gloves" but i just want to have an answer to my question.

I'm a new projectionist, about 6 weeks, and my mentor didn't show me to use gloves while handling film. But i took the initiative to use them, but i don't like the way they stretch and it's hard to apply the splice tape with them on.

I was just wondering if i could use "Mechanix Gloves" they fit snug enough that you can pick up a dime off the floor with them.

I would like you input on this idea of mine. Thanks, be gentle it's my first post. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-22-2008 11:07 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick google search indicates those are made from (on palm/fingers) of a synthetic rubber. Methinks that would (just like the stuff mentioned early in the other thread) make for way too much friction between it and the film. Unless you went super-slow, I would imagine the film would get snagged easily. And I would think that rubber would be much more insulating for tactile feeling since it's a harder substance than cotton so even if there was low friction it might be hard to notice splices/damage.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked in store and the fingers are made from leather, a very soft leather.

So with this new info what would be your input ?
Thx.

PS: It's not that i won't use the white glove but i'm looking for an alternative.

Ed Alvarado
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Ed Alvarado   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Alvarado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you dont really need to use those white gloves! they have no use in the booth once you get the feeling of the film and how it works you wont ever have to use the gloves. but NO LEATHER GLOVES should be used in the booth just dont use that it infact ignore and pretend you never brought that up. the only time you should ever need to use a glove is if the film pops out of place and instead of stoping the film from running you can use the gloves to help the film slide with no friction and place the film back in place.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx for the Advice.

I'm new to this and well the guy that showed me how to do what was not the best in town if you know what i mean. He had about 20 years experience but with a lot of flaws that i don't want carry on with me. I want to be a "good" head projectionist.

Later, and thanks again.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-23-2008 01:08 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Err...

I don't mean to knock Ed, but I do not think his reply reflects general concensus. There are basically two schools of thought:

1. Gloves are great, use them.
2. Gloves aren't necessary, but don't cause problems.

Anyone who feels gloves "have no use in the booth" is expressing a minority opinion. You should really read the long thread (Film Handling Gloves) to see this clearly.

As for your new question, on leather gloves, I think you're not going to find much experience with this topic, nor any strong concensus, or even two camps like cotton gloves. Logic suggests that leather gloves can reduce sensitivity and make it easy to miss nicks in the edge of film, or worse, to catch on film and increase pre-existing damage, but I don't really know that is true. I do wonder what Ed is basing his statement on.

Also, film handling gloves really need to be disposable or cleanable. They get dirty. I'm not sure that's going to work with leather.

As was mentioned in the gloves thread, many people remove a glove to perform a splice, and then put it back on. That's what I do, and I find it's not very intrusive.

When you mention snugness, are you suggesting that the cotton gloves you're using are not snug? Generally when new, they are slightly smaller than the hand, and stretch to fit within the first few minutes of use---so they fit very snugly and tightly indeed. Could you be using the wrong kind of glove, or maybe a size much too big?

Best of luck.

--jhawk

Ed Alvarado
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2008 05:48 AM      Profile for Ed Alvarado   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Alvarado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah well its spelt CONSENSUS
and my opinion is from 6yrs of booth.

its worthless while building films.
leaves fibers on splices.
cant get a grip when trying to splice.
always sticks to the zebra tape and gives you trouble.

using speco platters the film always pops out of the brain and rollers and thats the main reason I use the gloves it helps.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2008 10:24 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again with people getting pissed when some one doesn't agree with their opinion..

I've been doing this for over 5 years now and I like to use one glove on my left hand, and keep my right hand clear. That way I can pull the tape with the right hand and smooth it down with my left hand. This way I don't leave any oils or grease on the tape from my hand.

If your using Zebra tape in your booth then your probably not to worried about fibers being left on the print. But hey thats just my opinion.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-26-2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
If your using Zebra tape in your booth then your probably not to worried about fibers being left on the print. But hey thats just my opinion.
Speaking of which...
Do they make tape similar to Zebra, but where the yellow is only on the edges? Because that would seem to get rid of the problem of the yellow mark appearing on screen.

And yes, I know about edge-marking tape.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If using Neumade's striped tape...it alternates between with and without the stripe down the frame line so you can choose which way to apply it. JackRoe's SpliceMark is available in yellow and magenta without the stripe down the middle and it is available in 19mm...which won't drop digital so easily...BUT that does put the tape edge in the middle of the frame.

Best to just run changeovers [Wink]

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant we all just get along?

Just kidding of course we can't!

I guess we could all go back to 20 minute reels and carbon arc! Oh the good old days! I miss them, sometimes! Once in a while! Sort of!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-26-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the next few years it will all be a moot point.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 06:59 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll never be a moot point, Digital will never take over completely. There will still be houses that run film, either full time or the classics. But film won't just disappear one night never to be heard from again.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Kurt, Film (16/35 mm) as been around for over 100 years and all the little problem as been seen and dealt with, but as for digital there are more and more problems coming in every day and it will take a while for the digital to completely take over.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-26-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may be right but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. They can put the classics on a hard drive just as easy as a new feature. Never say never. Now archiving may be a different story but release prints will most likely eventually disapear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: