Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Handling Gloves (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film Handling Gloves
Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 04:14 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always used the Cotton film handling gloves when building up and breaking down film. It was the way I was taught I think it protects the film it is a good practice. I realize that most aren't doing this of late but this isn't the question I have.

Can you use plan surgical gloves in handling film? I realize that you wouldn't want to use the kind with talcum powder but is there any reason not to use the ones that are not powdered? It looks to me that would have a better feel of the film with them than the cotton.

Even with that said I'm not sure I would trade in the cotton film handling gloves, tradition you know!

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could, but I'd think you would want gloves where the film could 'slip' through. Nylon (or equivlent) gloves might 'grab' the film. Your hands would sweat, too.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 11:34 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surgical/examination gloves wouldn't work very well at all. The ones people used to use, latex, is a bad choice both for the fact that a lot of people get allergic to it easily and (as mentioned) that it's a "sticky" substance (meaning that there's a high amount of friction). The more commonly available nitrile gloves will suffer from the same friction issue. Even if the film went through fine, you'd at least be in pain from the friction of the gloves on your fingers.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2008 06:25 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While editing my super 8mm films, I used nylon white "mickey mouse' gloves. (They cover the fingers but don't go up to the wrist} They do not make the lint as cotton gloves do. There was no problem with feeling the film or handling it. After 70mm in the booth, this little film is like spaghetti.

KEN [Wink]

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once I was working in a theatre in Brazil (Rio to be exact) and the only thing I could find were those surgical gloves, so I wore them. They didn´t last long. Maybe two reels per glove. The friction of the film cuts the latex or nitrile "like butta"!

Andrés

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2008 03:24 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the information I believe I will stick to the plain old white film handling gloves I have used for ... a long time! [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2008 04:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think glove users are in the minority nowadays, no? I have never used them. I use the alternative, simple 2-point method:

1. Wash hands before handling film (and no food in the booth).
2. Don't touch the image area.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2008 04:34 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Mike the oil in your hands returns in just a few minutes! I realize that glove users are in the minority but it was how I was trained and I have made it a requirement at any theater I have run since mid-70's. It certainly doesn't cause any problem unless the gloves don't fit well and if they don't fit some buy the size that does fit them.

Now that is just me and you are free to do it the way you want.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ron on this. It goes without saying, you can do whatever you please, Mike, but I find that it is 99.99% impossible to do a splice without touching the image area. Hence: I have my guys always wear gloves. I am pretty uptight about this.

Andrés

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-06-2008 11:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron: I'll bet a dollar that when you break down film, you tear the splices and leave the tape on the print. Do I win? [Wink]

Sebastian Binz
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Sebastian Binz   Email Sebastian Binz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried cotton gloves for a few prints as well, but the feeling is just different. Especially handling the splicing tape is a bit more difficult wearing gloves.
One question: How long do you wear a pair? I figured that the gloves become quite dirty after handling a relatively small number of prints.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find using gloves to be espcially difficult because most come in "one size fits all", meaning that they fit most male hands and are huge on my hands.

Washing the gloves in hot water and tumble drying them not only shrinks them a bit to fit me better, but also removes most of the loose fibers that tend to get all over the film.

There's really no point in washing and reusing them after they get dirty since they come in packs of a million or so. Just chuck them out after they begin to look noticeably dirty or start falling apart.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with gloves is that you get a reduction in tactility with them, i.e. your ability to sense things with your fingers is reduced. All PPE retards your senses so you need a damn good reason to use them. Like Mike says, how do you remove splicing tape while wearing gloves? And you would be able to detect film flaws easier and more reliably by running it through your bare fingers. I don't use gloves myself (and my employer does not require me to use them).

The way I see it, using gloves is pretty pointless. As others have alluded, the gloves will collect dirt and retransmit it elsewhere and they will shed fibres. Besides, unless your biobox is Intel-style surgery clean, the print will collect contaminants from the environment! A lot of people here seem to use Film-Guard and I'm sure that would do a much better job of keeping the print clean than gloves. Me? I just keep my hands clean.

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2008 10:45 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Regal's "Projection Booth Operations Manual" states that for good film building and breaking down one must use the cotton gloves. Just to make the point that some still use this method.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2008 11:26 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my booth at the Gaslamp 15, it's a requirement to wear cotton gloves, which I agree with. It was a method that I used at Regal Parkway Plaza 18 and personally, don't mind using cotton gloves. To me, it makes sense and it is a policy that I am making as a requirement & policy for movie builds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: