Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Any Festive Booths?

Author Topic: Any Festive Booths?
Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 12:43 AM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody out there decorate their booth with Christmas lights/decorations when the season arrives?

I'm going to be decorating ours again on Black Friday, getting all giddy already. It's truly an awesome site to see, with the booth hall lights out and just the projector lights/sound rack lights/Christmas lights on.

Perhaps I'll post a couple pics next week after I decorate it. Just wondered if anyone else out there has any sort of decorating tradition...

|  IP: Logged

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2007 12:52 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decorate mine. Its my second home, and I love Christmas, so why not?

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2007 01:17 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a booth decorated for Christmas before, though I only have a limited view through the portholes [Wink]

I was thinking that the Christmas decorations (tinsel, lights, trees etc.) would be a potential source of trouble - extra dust and dirt to go into the projector mechanism and film gate.

Cinemas themselves often put up a few Christmas decorations in the lobby though.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-18-2007 01:39 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you suggesting that adding a set for lights creates dust? Unless you're putting up lights that have dust already the dust would be the same with or without the lights.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one large rectangular port window for two projectors. I usually run a simple set of LED Christmas lights around the perimeter of it. I plug the lights into the old "tape-deck" outlet on my automation, so the lights automatically go off when the projector starts and come on again when the show is over. One year I tried using a 'twinkling' string of lights, but I was getting little "pops" from the light flashers leaking into my sound system, so now I don't use the flashing type any more. JimC/Balboa Theater, San FranciscoCA

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No decorations. Our ports are large, so we run dark. No ambient light to worry about, and nothing to call attention to our operation. The "decorations", are better left to the floor people. The patrons can enjoy them.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 08:35 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my first xmas working at a cinema in projection... im basically in charge since the boss left so... i think some xmas lights are in order. our site is good cos its one long room with projectors lining the walls. ill have the lights just for our own enjoyment... and i think ill do the same with plugging them into the cutoff switch... makes sense not to have them running when the films are.

i just cant wait... 3 months gone.. xmas to come!

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 06:07 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding dust and dirt, I was only suggesting that Christmas decorations (especially trees and tinsel) might get pieces pulled off them as people walk around. Those pieces could easily enter the projector and jam it up, or go into the gate assembly and cast shadows.

I have seen Christmas light sets actually 'project' shards of light onto nearby surfaces. There's always the possibility that they'll cause unusual light shards and shadows in the auditorium, especially if they're flashing.

You mentioned switching off the lights when projecting, and that's a catch 22 situation. The Christmas lights look best when the main lights are off, but you can only have them switched on between shows when the booth lights are on.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2007 09:11 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends how you have it set up really. I, personally want to go to a bargain bumper bucket shop of xmas supplies, just loads of lights and surround all the makeup tables, notice boards, porthole surrounds etc... not flashing for those ones on the portholes...

will upload some photos once done... an xmas tree (a very small one) will probably be erected.... cant let the multifunctionals downstairs have all the fun...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: