Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fim loading the night before (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Fim loading the night before
Daniel W. Skeen
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2007 07:30 PM      Profile for Daniel W. Skeen   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel W. Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the pro's and con's to loading movies the night before. I have some people say it's okay, I have some people say it's not good for the film or the machines. That would leave them loaded and sitting idle over a 12 hour period.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-23-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wherever you have a roller inside the projector that has a locking mechanism holding the film in place will have it's springs at full tension for the entire time. This can be especially hard on various sound head models.

Also, there's the issue of dust collection (a lot of people want prints covered overnight).

You'd have to make sure to not engage your platter tension mechanism otherwise that too would be engaged for 12 hours uselessly but if you do that then the clear leader will sit on the floor for the same amount of time.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been debated here before, I think. The issue of springs is a non-issue because it's been recommended here that you not open your pad rollers during the night.

There's the issue of the film being "stressed" by being wrapped around rollers, sprockets and such over night, but since most of what's threaded should be leader, that's not really an issue.

The only real concern is the one of dust collecting on the sections of the print that are strung thru the air. You could get around most of that problem by having a clean booth.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-23-2007 09:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught to leave the gate open at the end of the day. This releases the pressure on all the gate springs/bands and helps keep the springs from getting compression set. Bands can also stretch somewhat. As for pad rollers its the same reason... if your pad roller springs are not compressed in the closed position then leave them closed... if not in the open position then leave them open. You won't be placing any more wear on these mechanisms at all since they'd have to be opened to re-thread the machine anyway the next day. But overall following the above will help keep springs in spec. for longer periods.

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-23-2007 10:36 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and here I thought we were talking about cameras [Smile]

--jhawk

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-24-2007 03:43 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
...and here I thought we were talking about cameras

What website have you been smoking? [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-24-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the pinch roller in the soundhead is left closed and non rotating it will develop a flat spot introducing wow and flutter

[ 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Gordon McLeod ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-24-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please leave them un-threaded. When I come in for a service call, I'll just un-thread them anyway. [Wink] [Razz]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2007 08:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
When I come in for a service call, I'll just un-thread them anyway.
Word. [Cool]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2007 08:52 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mark, I was taught back in the 60's to always open the gates and all pad rollers. I never questioned it.....just did it and STILL do it. Probably not as important as I was led to believe it was.

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2007 12:22 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John was refering to the threading of the equipment being refered to as "loading," like you load a camera.
It was a joke y'all, catch up.
One big thing I have against overnight threading is the large number of poorly trained personnel operating booth equipment all over the country, imagine the button-pusher failing to notice the film that the HVAC blew off a vital roller the previous night, and just fires her up and walks away.
Can you say film damage?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-25-2007 02:56 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, you'd trust them to thread the movie instead? If they suck as bad as your not-so-hypothetical person does, they're gonna suck all the time; not just when pushing the button for a show someone else threaded.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2007 03:45 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no justification for threading the machines the night before. If the person starting the machines does not have the time to clean and thread the machines or is not well trained enought to do anything other than press a start button then they have no business being in the booth.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2007 09:26 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always leave the machines empty at the end of the day.
Before I thread for the next day I always like to run the machines for a 5 minute "warm up" before threading.

I don't like running them with film "cold" on their first run of the day.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2007 09:46 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to leave the machines unthreaded over-night. There is no need to have them ready and just sit there doing nothing. Besides, I like to do my maintenance work on the equipment before I thread the machines up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: