Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamphouse w/o exhaust (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lamphouse w/o exhaust
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 10:25 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you guys can give me confirmation on this...
It's my understanding that due to statutes regarding the radiation put off by the lamps a xenon lamphouse has to be vented to the outside, correct?

And in order to ensure proper cooling, the lamphouse (such as an LP with a 3k lamp) should have it's blower pulling in air from the booth and it's exhaust pulling air out of the lamp house, no?

I noticed one of my locations is doing exactly the oposite. We're blowing hot (~90F weather) air into the lamp house instead of exhausting.
Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-15-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some locations codes require that the lamphouse be vented to the outside
Normally the internal blower of the lamphouse should draw in cool room air and the vent pipe on the top should be connected to a blower to provide sufficient suction to maintain a negative pressure inside the lamphouse

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 03:02 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I so wish there were some tighter guidelines here in the UK.

I look after a small four screen that had lamphouses which were not ducted and you could look in and see the xenon lamp when it was running!! This was more of a concern as the projectors, vic 5's, were at floor level so when standing you looked directly into the lamphouse vent. The lamp houses are 1600w vertical cinemeccanica. Needles to say I have changed this.

ALL lamphouses should be ducted and vented outside. Projection rooms get hot enought without all that extra heat to deal with.

Rick Deleau
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Rick Deleau   Email Rick Deleau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unrelated to this topic.

I would like  - to contact me in regards to buying up some equipment at  -

ps sorry for butting in.

Thanks Rick

Edit - I would like for Rick Deleau to read the rules page before he posts further. -Brad

[ 08-15-2007, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-15-2007 04:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because dangerous ozone may be formed by either the high voltage ignition or by the UV from the xenon lamp, lamps should be vented to the outside.

Michael Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 05:46 PM      Profile for Michael Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the Renovation to the building I'm in, we have no way to truly vent to the outside without making some major architectural changes, however I have been running now almost every Sunday and Wednesday night by venting to the air return of the booth form the AC. It is the only way vent it out. It's all I have been able to do, The AC Unit is right above the Lamp house, Also even after a long movie 2 hours or more the room never gets over 80F

Mike

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-15-2007 05:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen lamps up to 2kw vented into the booth (see photos of the Wellesley College cinema). It is also common for 16mm and video projectors (with xenon lamps from 350w to 2kw) to not have outside exhaust. It doesn't seem to cause any major issues, but it is probably a) not very good for bulb life and b) probably not a good idea for a venue that would run film every day.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run 3kw exhaust into the room for portable work. Its only for the duration of one or two showings though.

Mark

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mr. P! Long time no see, probably since I've been running around all this time. Good to see you though.

The question I really have is this: if I have NO outside exhaust BUT I'm blowing hot, dirty air, from the outside of the building am I reducing the life of the lamp?

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-15-2007 10:31 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the questions are: 1) is the bulb getting adequate cooling 2) is the contaminated air from outside causing a problem?

For (1), what it really comes down to is how much air is moving over the envelope of the bulb. Lamphouses are generally designed to pull air past the bulb envelope, and I wouldn't think reversing the direction of the exhaust fan would have that effect. None of the measurements are easy to do; probably your best bet is to measure the temperature of the air coming out of the lamphouse, and perhaps of the lamphouse and projector itself. Also, how much airflow are you getting?

For (2), well, how dirty is your air? If you don't get particles of crap that touch the bulb or reflector and stick to it, then it's probably fine. And I'd be surprised if your air was that dirty.

You should be able to answer some of this empirically -- how much life are you getting out of these bulbs? All 3 of the intake fan on the lamphouse, the exhaust fan on the lamphouse, and the main exhaust fan are all running backwards? How did it end up this way?

Modern bulbs are "Ozone-free" (OFR), meaning that, once struck, their glass filters out the ionizing radiation that makes ozone. So theoretically you only get ozone at ignition time, when the wavelength of light is different. So it probably not a major issue to have OFR lamps exhausing into the booth, but it is certainly not the right way to engineer the system.

--jhawk

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 12:46 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have no lamphouse ventilation, the forced air system will be rendered nearly useless after a while, which in my experience leads to excessive heat build-up and premature seal failure on the bulbs. Venting to the air return ducting may work as long as your HVAC is running. I've had roof fans fail many,many times and have come up with an excelent emergency fan that I place between the lamphouse and the flexible ducting we have. Be creative and come up with a solution. [thumbsup]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
I noticed one of my locations is doing exactly the oposite. We're blowing hot (~90F weather) air into the lamp house instead of exhausting.
Is there an air flow vane switch and has it been bypassed? It seems to me someone simply installed the blower incorrectly. Pulling outside air into the lamphouse has to be making the inside of that lamphouse fairly dirty unless there is a filter installed, which I would highly doubt. I would go ahead reverse the blower so that it is exhausting correctly.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No air vane installed in this bad-boy!

I just don't see how it could ever cool efficiently if we're blowing air into the front of the lamphouse via the squirrel cage fan and then blowing even more air into the rear of the lamphouse via the stack.

Moreover you simply can't touch the projector after the thing's been running for ~10 minutes. The trap is too hot to handle!
This just doesn't seem right for a lamp this small.

I think I'm going to take some temp measurements.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of blower is installed on the roof? Mushroom type, upblast, ect? I wouldn't even bother taking temp readings. Just try and get the air flow exhausting out as it should be. If you're not sure how then have an HVAC tech come out to do it.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure the blower hasn't been wired incorrectly and it's running backwards?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: