Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Regal theater pics? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal theater pics?
Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've looked all over the pictures section and cant find a single Regal Cinemas theater featured. Is there a reason?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I could take some pictures of my theatre but I'd have to get permission first.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-09-2007 09:29 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene but it was closed in March. Formerly an Act III. There are more pics of it at cinematour.com, along with its replacement the Regal Valley River Center Stadium 15 (unfortunately no pics of the 15's booth though).

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 11:14 AM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is very strict about pictures of their theaters. Any pictures must be approved by the Marketing department and they flaty deny any requests for pictures for online photo galleries, particularly of the projection booth.

Even when pictures are approved for things such as yearbooks and the like, you generally have to make sure that the pictures do not include Regal logos. If pictures of a Regal theater appeared in the Warehouse, I would not be surprised if that theater received a phone call soon thereafter and someone got into trouble.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-09-2007 12:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, the ushers here at the new Regal 15-screen are packing more heat than just those green flashlights. They'll shoot you in the kneecap if they catch you looking through the booth glass at the TOP SECRET Simplex Millennium, Strong Highlight IIA 4K console, B.A.C.P. SR-D reader, ISCO UltraStar HD PLUS lens, etc.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-09-2007 12:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...Regal officially sucks, then.

I would completely understand if they were concerned about safety and security (e.g. not allowing photos of manager's office, safe, etc.) or about proprietary technology (e.g. detailed photographs of Imax equipment), but forbidding people to post general photographs of their projection booths is just stupid. Are they just concerned that it might make them look bad? I wonder what they are trying to hide?

And, as David said above, it's not as if any of this stuff is a secret, anyway. A Simplex projector looks the same at Regal as it does at AMC, Cinemark, Carmike, Landmark, etc. (though some might be cleaner than others).

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-09-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Playing devil's advocate (Homer Simpson's favorite game), as a corporate policy it's a whole lot easier to just say "No Photos", instead of trying to spell out what's permissible to photograph and what isn't and where photos may be displayed and who may take the photos etc etc.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-09-2007 01:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but my issue isn't just that they have a stupid policy but that, even when asked, they (according to the above comment) don't want people to post pictures of their theatres.

It would be a different matter if they had a policy about "photographs of non-public areas may not be distributed to the public without permission" and were willing to grant permission when there is obviously no risk to the company or to any of its employees. There is nothing secret about any of this stuff.

Actually, a better policy would be something along the lines of "don't do anything that would put the company or its employees at risk of lawsuits or physical harm" and use that as a way to prohibit employees from taking and/or distributing photographs of sensitive areas.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-09-2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that is precisely why when we photograph theaters we never even take pictures of the manager's office, safe room, or pictures denoting "at the end of this hallways is where they store all of the cash". We don't want to put the theaters in any potential risk for a robbery. As such we always make it a point to discard any photos that are submitted that DO reveal such things. (I highly doubt it was intentional, but it does on occasion happen. We just delete them.)

With that in mind I totally understand their policy. It is very unfortunate though that an exception cannot be made to a couple of sites like this one and cinematour where we are trying to build an archive of theater pictures. 10, 20 or even 50 years down the road, this may be all that's left of them!

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 02:23 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe Regal has a problem with this site because we can access it from work. Normally we are restricted to outside sites but Regal enjoys film-tech so I am sure they won't mind pictures but it's always safe then sorry.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-09-2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I contacted Regal's Marketing Department and they were quite pleasant and eager to participate with Film-Tech and Cinematour. For whatever reasons though, the powers that be decided we were only allowed to take exterior pictures.

I was somewhat disappointed because I could already legally do that, but it has come in handy for those locations inside malls or where security or over-zealous managers would normally chase me off.

A number of Regal managers have been very generous if their location is closing by letting us in to take as many photos as we want, so that's refreshing.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2007 07:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of my friends went to a REG theatre, climbed up the back row of seats to take a peek in the port window and a usher caught this individual and booted them off the premises.

(As what David said: what's so secretive about CHR P35GPS machines, SLC consoles, DTS6AD and AW3R platters?)

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
one of my friends went to a REG theatre, climbed up the back row of seats to take a peek in the port window and a usher caught this individual and booted them off the premises.

Maybe it was the "climbing on the seats" part that got him booted?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 09:59 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was threading Harry Potter in our biggest house when I heard a young girl's voice yell "Hey! Westbrook!" I looked through the port window and observed the face of a co-worker from the past peering through and waving. She was standing on the armrests on a seat in the back row...
When this auditorium was retrofitted for Stadium, the console and projector was placed on a raised platform to shoot over any tall "harry bohemouths" that strolled down that back row. The girl in question is quite short.
The equipment here is the same as when Scott Neff took pictures of it for Cinematour, just 4 of the consoles are platformed.

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2007 01:13 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Film-Tech require that the person submitting the photos be identified pubicly? I'm very proud of my booth and would like to share it with anyone interested.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: