Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong platter variac speed too high, any tips or quick fixes?

Author Topic: Strong platter variac speed too high, any tips or quick fixes?
Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 12:27 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a 2 year absence from my 16 plex, I've returned to find several of the platter systems take-up speed set too high. Its damaging leader, rollers and scaring the shit out of the less-experienced "operators," They are resorting to throwing masses of leader onto the floor to feed the platters when they lose control over them, which is completely unacceptable. ....kids.

Anyway, anybody got a quick fix or a trick to correct this? I can do it the old fashioned way, I'm just hoping for a quick solution or trick that I'm unaware of.

|  IP: Logged

Troy Hilsman Powell
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 01:22 AM      Profile for Troy Hilsman Powell   Email Troy Hilsman Powell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did'nt mention what model platters they were.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 02:27 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
("setting the speed up too high" - sounds like CHRISTIES ..)

sounds like they're not lacing the brains too well, or, the lock pin is in the other hole (if it's an A3 platter that has two stop holes on the post) .. for if one knows how to adjust the variac in the base, they almost know what they're doing ..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove side cover from variac housing. Loosen the allen screw in the center of the variac shaft and re-position the variac while loose to the proper spot for the correct speed then tighten it back down. Replace the side cover... You're finished. Take half hour coffee break... go on to next platter....

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 12:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is right. I set them so that the takeup just barely creeps when in takeup mode and the pin is in the top hole. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-07-2007 01:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I've come across "ALPHA" platters that doesn't have the allen set screw thingey, but the slotted collar variety. What is the trick with this one?

..and the same with old BALCO platters - the ones with the cable drawn "W" assembly and single lock hole.

thx-Monte

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bryan M. Montgomery
They are resorting to throwing masses of leader onto the floor to feed the platters
Hahaha. That's what my manager does(or at least a variation of it.) on a regular basis even though our platters don't have that problem!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-07-2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell Danny I said Hi.

Wyatt Copeland
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 02:36 PM      Profile for Wyatt Copeland   Email Wyatt Copeland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha okay will do [Smile]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-08-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they all have some adjustability at the powerstat shaft. If not, you can undo 2 smallish set screws at the hub of the brush wheel and turn it to accomplish the adjustment. There's very little room to get a tool or fingers in there but I think it can be done. Make sure the supply is unplugged!

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 11:09 PM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry boys, I did forget to mention what kind they were, didnt I? Duh! It was late.... You guys figured it out anyway, they are Strong platters, AP-3s I believe.
Thanks for the tips, [thumbsup] I've got to tame these beasts and do some serious re-training before these fruitcakes really do some damage.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: