Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong platter lighting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strong platter lighting
Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 01:00 AM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I have a strong alpha Potts platter system and I was wondering if anyone knows of a conversion kit to make the platter lighting L.E.D?

Thank you for any help!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2007 01:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a great name to have when posting a lighting question [thumbsup] .
As far as I know there are no LED lights available yet although there are hundreds of LED replacement lights available for many standard indicator lamps. I just get the under the counter florescent lamps and cable tie them in place and wire to each arm. This provides way more light than any lamp or replacement for the existing would but not an excessive amount as long as you stick to the small ones. Wait till they're on sale or see about a quantity purchase some where.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-13-2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or get some flourescent lights out of a lighted standee.

If you don't get standees with lights, you can use the GE "brightstik" fixtures or equivalent. Cheap, and they'll last a long time.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2007 03:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I did at an "indie" house was to install a mini track lighting rail that included two small can light fixtures and mounted this assembly vertically on the wall next to the platter so the two lower decks were illuminated with the projected light from each can.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 04:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on an install one time that was using used AP3 platters, and the platter lamps were replaced with blue LED's. There was some kind of fixture that was connected to the wiring with a molex connector. It's not a kit from Strong; it was something homebrew. Sorry I cannot be more help as to the specifics of how it's done, but I have seen first hand that yes, it can be done.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll find a direct replacement here.

http://www.ledtronics.com/

LED replacement lamps are available for almost any application now. Par, Bayonet, Wedge, etc......

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2007 09:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They make some good stuff but its priced out of sight. The replacement led lamp would run 37.00 a deck! I'll stay with the strap on florescent till prices come down... if they ever do. You can easily do three platter systems with the small florescents for the price of just one LED replacement lamp... you'll also have better light with the florescnt.

I use the screw in florescents in Strong, Christie, and Neumade MUTs. You have to change the socket out in the Christie and Strong to fit the screw base florescents but its only a buck at Home Depot or Loews. The lamps last a very long time!! Of course this is something the manufacturers SHOULD be doing anyway...

Mark

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help i'll see what works the best!

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2007 01:44 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allied Electronics sells bayonet base LED lamps that can be used to switch your platter lamps over to LEDs. I am getting ready to retrofit 16 platter systems with them. Unfortunately due to the uni-directional nature of the LED light, you have to modify the lamp assembly so that it points directly down and you must allow the lamp to extend slightly outside the hole in the cover. If you need directions on how this is done, feel free to ask.I cant wait to get mine done, changing those bulbs was an endless and difficult chore,these should last for years, and they are blue, so it will look cool as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-26-2007 09:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan.... How much do they cost... Whats the Allied part number?

Thanks,
Mark

Bill Bright
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Bill Bright   Email Bill Bright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interested in knowing how and how much it would cost per platter. Fightsurvivor@yahoo.com.
Thanks,
Bill

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 12:17 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it took so long to reply. The information from the invoice of the type I will be using, is as follows. Allied stock # 265-3616, made by Sloan Co. , Sloan Part # 162-1206, LED Cluster, Ultra Blue,500 mcd type, T-1 3/4, double contact base.
I'm not certain, but these appear to be around $13.00 a piece.
Add on the L-brackets and a few pop rivets, maybe $15.00 per platter. I'm glad I work for a large company and that I have a cool technician that gets me stuff like this.
May end up saving money in the long run though, I had to change several bulbs per week so I could see what I was doing.
Hope this helped.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2007 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Not 13.00 each but almost 30.00 each!! Still 23.42 in 250+ quantities.... [uhoh] . And for that price you'll end up with very directional/localized lighting. The strap on florescent still is the least expensive and better contender for the job.
When the strap on's are on sale at Loews or Home Depot for about 5 bucks each you can do 3 complete platter systems for the prioce of just one replacement LED light.

Allied LED Link

quote: Bryan M. Montgomery
Add on the L-brackets and a few pop rivets, maybe $15.00 per platter.

You forgot the labor!!

Mark

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 05:22 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep the flourescents that come with standees and ty-rap them to the arm.

Bryan M. Montgomery
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2007 02:06 AM      Profile for Bryan M. Montgomery   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan M. Montgomery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you're probably right, I made an estimation from what I could find on thier website. I have a box full of them, and they sure as hell dont look like they are worth $30.00 each! Thats crazy. I'm not sure how my tech got that one past purchasing, maybe since my company is very large they got them a little cheaper, I dont know. I'm looking forward to getting them in, even though it'll take a little effort.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: