Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS6AD does not read some discs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS6AD does not read some discs
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 04:34 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I've got a DTS6AD that will not read the discs for "Knocked Up".
These discs are unusually thicker than other DTS discs I have at the moment.The 6AD is reading other discs OK.My XD-10's read the "Knocked Up" discs fine.
Are there any drive upgrades for the 6AD?.....I will also check if I have the latest REV level.
Any suggestions?

I had to edit this:the 6AD is not reading Harry Potter discs also.....but apparently is reading the discs for Bridge to Terabythia.TCR light is on solid no matter what discs are being used.
Cheers Ian

[ 07-11-2007, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read this?

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok ... now does anyone know which discs the software will be on?

It's not on the Harry Potter discs and I can't play them [Frown]

I have tried several others we have to no avail.... Does anyone know of an ISO download for the upgrade?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-11-2007 05:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the iso? Referenced in page 3 of this thread (the download is huge).

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 02:28 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys...I must have missed that somehow or did not get any info with the prints.
Matt the software was on 2 prints back in February apparently.
I've tracked down a copy of the software which I should have in a couple of days.If I can burn a copy of it I could send it to you.
Not sure if DTS discs are "burnable?"
Cheers Ian

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2007 03:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
These movies have the upgrade on it:

The Invisible
Lucky You
Evan Almighty
Nancy Drew

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2007 04:04 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Harry Potter. Our disks included the instruction sheet.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potter has it???? I tried the upgrade process with the potter discs and it said 'no system disc' [Frown]

I think I also tried Nancy Drew .... I'll try it again today.

BTW, none of our prints/discs have had notes in them to warn us about this .... nice going again DTS!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-13-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
matt said "BTW, none of our prints/discs have had notes in them to warn us about this .... nice going again DTS!"

what goes in the cans is a responsibility of the distributor and I don't think DTS has any control over that
Also this has been widely circulated in the industry

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the distributor actually put the discs in the dvd style cases they come in? ...... I would have thought they came from DTS like that....

.... and I am just a lowly self-taught tech in an independent cinema...... not a film god like yourself Gordon..... Apparently I am not worthy enough to be made aware of 'industry' information. One would assume that something as important as being able to play digital sound with a major release like Harry Potter would warrant sending information to ALL cinemas.... like say, with the MOVIE..... Or are we expected to be ever vigilant... scour the forums daily .... and contact DTS every week just in case there MIGHT be an upgrade?

oh .. and lastly .... For any Aussie projectionists who, like myself, are not made aware of 'industry' information .... the upgrade software is indeed on the Nancy Drew discs.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2007 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it is hard to get the word out on things like this. The good news though is that once this upgrade is done, the DTS system will self-upgrade as new films are played like Dolby Digital does.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is good news Brad.... Thanks for that info.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2007 04:03 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Close
Apparently I am not worthy enough to be made aware of 'industry' information.
Maybe goto the DTS website and sign up for mailings or something. We were notified via email that the DTS6AD readers were in need of a software upgrade and the following discs included the software: Nancy Drew and Evan Almighty. There was even short instruction sheet as to how to do it, in case you didn't know how.

Like you said....nice going again DTS!

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2007 10:38 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Frank ... I will do that. See how easy it is to give a helpful, polite answer.....

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2007 12:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though it says the information is for the DTS XD10 unit, is it the same software for the DTS 6AD unit? I just want to make sure I have the right software prior to installing it, and causing a problem bigger than what we already have.

--Tom

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: