Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10 - discs are not a set error (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: DTS XD10 - discs are not a set error
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the fix for this? XD10 unit will work perfectly on a single disc movie, but on a two disc movie, it refuses to load the material to the hard drive because it thinks that the two discs are not a set. Have tried a dozen different A and B disc features. Firmware is V1.01.16

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even though I'm not familiar with the XD-10, yet makes one wonder if it's trying to copy the executable files and boot records from each disk, which are the same files with the same extender on each disk, thus causing some sort of conflict of sort, thus kicking out the install on the 2nd disc.

Wonder, if one imaged the first disc to a computer HDD completely, then copied the 2nd disc the long way (meaning not coping the executable file from the 2nd disc to the HDD), then burnt each disc separately - 1st one with the executable/boot files and the 2nd one without the excutable/boot files-just the data files. Then see if the XD-10 will accept this.

..and use rewritables if possible

..worth a try.... - Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2005 11:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, that's WAY too much effort! Besides the XD10 is designed to hold 30+ features at once. I'm only trying to load half a dozen. Something is wrong. Hopefully someone else on here has encountered the issue and knows the fix. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..wonder if the HDD is experiencing some bad sectors then...

Good luck on this one.. - Monte

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-14-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this happen with Titanic. There were two sets of CDs - the Domestic, and the International versions. I think between the two sets, the B disks were the same, and the A disks were different. But regardless, when I tried to load the CDs, I got the "Disks are not a set" error.

I was able to load them somehow, though. It was a while ago, and I'm trying to remember how I did it. I think I may have loaded them up individually. Have you tried that?

That doesn't explain why it's doing it for you on every movie you try. That sounds like something is wrong... or confused.

Monte,

I believe the XD10 runs linux, not DOS, so I dont think it needs to be concerned with the executables.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2005 03:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx, as I mentioned, I'm not familiar with the XD-10 - just stuck with DTS-6 and DTS-6D units as for now. Yet, I've heard that they now operate on Linux instead of the old DOS based units.

Here's a paste for Brad based on info on his original inquiry that I found that might help out some:

quote:
Getting back to current DTS films and playback, the DTS-6 and DTS-6D must have V1.46 TCR chip installed. DTS-6AD must have software version 2.06, XD10 software version 1.01.17. With out these updates the DTS will drop out and not play after two minutes of the reel.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2005 05:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Have you confirmed that the XD-10 didn't load both disks anyway? I seem to recall that even in the manual it cautions that the XD-10 would give a bogus error but would load just fine. Also the XD-10 will work with partials. That is, if one reel/file is corrupt it will play the rest in digital and only fault during the bad file. Thus, I'm surprised that it would wig out too bad on even "non-set" discs.

[update after checking with the manual]....it does give the reasons for "not a set" and it is a condition when you have both discs loading at the same time and it thinks you have two "A"s or two "B"s or different languages and such. From what I can tell, you can tell the XD10 to load the disc anyway (right arrow).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Steve, I checked. All it does is load the trailers. Seeing how much time it took to load the data from a one disc movie vs. a couple of seconds to eject the discs on a "not a matched set" error, there is simply no way it actually loaded the feature data.

(Note to dts - please add a new option under the DELETE menu to "delete all trailers". Currently if I want to wipe the trailers from the hard drive but leave the features, I have to run through and delete every single trailer one by one. [Eek!] )

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you have a problem with deleting hundreds of trailers one at a time??? [Roll Eyes]
Your right it should work just like the features don’t know why this was overlooked. Currently you can delete single features and single trailers, you can delete all features or all contents including features and trailers but you can’t delete just all trailers at once. It will be recommended to change this in the next update.
Regarding disc load errors on the XD10, first the software version does not affect the loading of the discs, different error messages may appear and normally state the problem, however the problem could also be elsewhere, Example “Installed discs are not a set” this is to point out that a matched “A” & “B” may not be installed in the drives. However it could also be that one of the drives may be having problems reading one of the discs. This may be caused by a bad disc or problem drive. From personal experience when this has happened to me I have done different things to get the discs to load, first was to swap A & B discs around, if this did not work I would ignore the warning message and press enter, this forces the XD10 to accept what ever it can read from the disc. If a bad drive is suspected, use the good drive and load each disc individually, doing this you will get an error message but simply press enter to ignore. On one occasion I received a message about bad data on the disc and had a choice to abort or continue loading. Choosing continue will load all readable data, however some audio may be missing. If this is done and the feature is played back the XD10 will drop to analog when no data can be found, similar to a timecode fault. I have also found that if you load the same reported bad disc in another drive it will load the missing data.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem once, but there was indeed an option to "load discs anyway." Perhaps in my situation the XD10 had different reasons for (incorrectly) thinking they were not a set, since this only happened once.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2005 01:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a bad drive. No luck in using only one drive to load the feature with the "load anyway" command. It still refuses to load up anything but the trailers. [Mad]

(It would figure...the trailers are the one thing I don't want loaded.)

One feature you may want to consider when you are implementing that "delete all trailers" feature is a "lock" command. For example, if you are a Regal theater and have THX, you could go in and "lock" the various THX logos and the Regal policy trailer logo. Then when "delete all trailers" was selected, it wouldn't dump the THX and Regal audio. That "lock" feature could also be a handy feature for places like universities, where they may have a few dozen dts films in their library and they don't ever want the feature audio for those deleted, but it would be ok for the XD10 to self-delete one-time shows not in their library.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-14-2005 06:13 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you should plug in a monitor and keyboard and debug the file loading (use strace!). Certainly you could implement those kinds of lock & deletion features yourself...

--jhawk

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-22-2007 03:54 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 707 days since the last post.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-22-2007 03:54 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what was the fix for this. Was it the software upgrade that was needed? I know ours has the software version that was dated April 7th 2005. I am now starting to have the problems that Brad stated. The thing is it happened on the Nancy Drew discs and Now on the Evan Almighty discs. Discs for Ratatouille and 1408 loaded with no problems. This error happens on all xd10 units. I thought maybe the Nancy drew discs were bad but all three of my Evan Almighty discs will not load on any of my units except for the trailers. It gives the discs are not a set error like Brad states above.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2007 05:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The fix was to delete the trailers and re-burn the disc that carried them! I know it sounds odd, but no joke that was the fix. (It had something to do with the older trailer files being formatted differently or something along that line.)

Your current situation is weird though because that "not a set error" only affected selected older titles. This could be something new since we are talking about current movies. (You might want to try burning whichever disc has the trailers and delete it anyway and let us know.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: