Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is Simplex Still KING?

Author Topic: Is Simplex Still KING?
Jim Somich
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 10:14 AM      Profile for Jim Somich   Email Jim Somich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up believing that Simplex made the best projectors. They seemed to run forever. Every model has a history that seems to be unmatched for performance and longevity. I believe the pinnacle of success for Simplex was the XL back in the 50s.
My question is, what would be your opinion of Simplex today in 2006? It seems like they are out of the limelight since being bought out. The review of the Millenium on this site is less than glowing. Most ops seem to feel the Kinoton is a vastly superior machine.
Anyone out there running newer Simplexes? What is your opinion of them compared with the alternatives.
Also, I might ask the same question about Century.

|  IP: Logged

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Through my entire time as a projectionist, I have been using the Simplex 35 Projectors with the 5-Star sound heads as well as the Simplex Millenium Projectors. I like these machines very much. Currently, I am also using the Century JJ Series Projector as well and it is still running great. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I even used the Christie Projectors, too.

Anyway, I heard some good things about others such as Cinemeccanica's & Kinoton's as well.

So far, the Simplex Projectors keep on running great with proper maintenance and care. I think these projectors are great, but, I am sure there are projectors that are most likely better than the Simplex Projectors.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-26-2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several topics here, where the best/worst is discussed. You'll find that EVERYONE has their favorite. Top honors however, have to go to Kinoton... because that's Brad's fav!!

Go back far enough... you'll even find the Brenkert and Motiograph afficionados. Even (gasp) one or two who think the PRO35 is pretty special... though I suspect that's because they're also in the parts business [evil]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use three simplex machines in a 5-screen house. The newest machine, circa 1999 seems much similar to our late 60's model. The only major differences being the Kelmar changevoer & laminated casting. The casting is an improvement, as the newer machine is much less of a leaker. Our older 50's XL, the precursor model to the 35, is built better than either machine. The inside of the head doesn't have a gap between it and the shutter housing, as it acts as a great dirt trap in newer models. [Mad]

It also serves to note of the 5-star soundheads on what one might say is a majority of simplex units (?) Those pinch rollers suck big. They also suck up the dirt that falls from an open gate, either being cleaned or threaded, it doesn't matter, it's probably going to find its way into that soundhead. Our new model's pinch roller guide flanges don't conform to some trailers & casue the soundtracks to be encased in noise. Bad news for lack of trailer discs at any given point in time. And how packed those get with digital basement readers.

That's an operator's point of view. We have the old XL on an SH-1000 and it is fantastic if not reference of our 5 auditoria. Compared to the 5-Star, you can see the inadequacy of the film's routing in the new head. And compared to other heads on the market, I'd rather put a century R3 in any working multi. Just more standardized & easy to thread.

I can also see the improvement in gate weave with Century's. Despite the difference in shutter efficiency, that makes Century a better domestic projector buy.

But yeah, Kinotons seem to be the modern booth choice.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex has gone downhill ever since Strong bought International Projector Corporation. The most outstanding example of poor design is the Apogee. Give me a Motiograph anytime. I'm sorry they bit the dust.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-26-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Continue this discussion in one of the existing threads.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: