Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Your Favourite Projector and Booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Author Topic: Your Favourite Projector and Booth
Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 05:14 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that this may be a repeat of an old topic, but here goes.

My favourite projector is a Kinoton FP30. Next comes a Cinemecannica Vic 5.
Although you can't get them new anymore, Bauer come in at third.

There are no others that make it into contention

What do you all think???

Frank.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 06:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank I believe that you can still buy the cinemeccanica vic 5.They are my least favourite projector,my favourites are Kinoton's, the FP50D being my first choice followed by the FP30 second the Bauer U3,and third Century projectors.
Do you work for Village by any chance?

Stephen.

------------------

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 01:52 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century Projectors, Potts Platters, and Strong lamphouses are my favorite equipment

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 03:18 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine would be the the Philips DP70 (simply the best built projector ever built!) and today the Kinoton FP30, other favourites would be the Westrex 5000 and the Westar/Century projector.

They both out perform in picture steadiness than those Cinemeccancia's!

Why anyone would like to name their favourite projector the Cinemeccancia V5?.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 03:54 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinemeccanica V5 should be any tech's favorite... It keeps them busy.

As for my favorite projector, it's the Favorit70, of course. Simply the best and most elegant machine ever built. Next is the Philips trio of FP5/56/6, but I like the Bauer U3 as well. And yes; I guess I should at least mention the DP70...

My favorite booth is the one I work in. I've worked at many booths in my time but the Draken remains the best by far.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-01-2000 08:24 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I know everyone is going to let out a groan when I say the this, but I still like Cinemecannica V8's.

But for the "best at everything" I'd say a Norelco AA-II.

Frank P; If you like a V5, then you would have loved a V9. They both are about the same size, but the V9 had an oil bath and gear train (rather then the V5's belt.) Easy to clean, clean design, etc. V9's are no longer made, however.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My all time favourite projectors :

Difficult choice but I would like to nominate Bauer B12 for 35mm and Philips DP70/Norelco AAII for 70mm/35mm as top of the bill.

Sorry for you guys who like the Italian projectors but German & Dutch projectors beat them on image steadiness every time !

Nick Perry
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2000 11:27 PM      Profile for Nick Perry   Email Nick Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

My fave projector would be the Kinoton FP30D followed closely by the Bauer U3 (The sound head is still un-beaten). I would put the good old Cinemeccanica Vic 5 at 3rd. They are good if you know how to sort out those minor problems when they arise. Once you get to know them they are very easy and predictable to maintain. I mean come on, how can anyone pick on a Vic 5 if they like a Christie??

Best platter. Cinemeccanica CNR-35N.

Sound Processor. Dolby CP-500.

Best digital format. SDDS.

Nick

Frank Prete
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2000 06:58 AM      Profile for Frank Prete   Email Frank Prete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a love for the vic 5's as they were the first machine I worked on alot and I guess my fingers feel at their most natural when threading a 'meccanica.

Is there something about the machine that you first work on in depth. The very first 35mm I threaded ever was a pair of Bauer B11. Thoes two machines are still about here in Melbourne, and I see them from time to time.

I have worked with the Christie's. From what I have seen they have more problems than a Cinemeccanica, even after you are aware of all of the danger points. Then again, the service from the Christie guys was second to none - a credit to them. Then again, when you need to replace the heart of the machine so often you would hope that the service is good. Christie's come in fourth.

Stephen, I'm not telling who I work for, but it is one of the larger companies in Melbourne, it aint Hoyts, it aint GU and it (as you know) aint Readings. Naturally, anything I say is my own personal opinion and not that of the company bla bla bla...

Frank.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2000 05:52 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick wrote:
>>My fave projector would be the Kinoton FP30D followed closely by the Bauer U3 (The sound head is still un-beaten). <<

Nick, are you referring to the optical sound head or the mag ditto? 'cause the U3 was a fine projector in its day (noisy as hell but still a good one if cared for properly) but the original optical sound was an absolute disaster. Anything above 4kHz couldn't possibly pass through any of those, and if you put in a stereo cell, the cross-talk would be indistinguishable from the actual track.

If you threw out the original optical sound head, all of it, and installed a Dolby stereo cell and Cinemeccanica optics (V5, actually; it was entirely possible with a little patience), the results got a lot better. You could finally make use of that expensive Dolby processor.

The mag head was fine, though, and performed flawlessly every time Ihad the chance to run 35 mag or 70.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 12:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here goes.

Projector:

Kinoton FP 20 or FP 30

Philips DP 70 (AAII)

Cinemeccanica Vic 10 or 8

Philips DP75

Century

Super Standards (or Super 75's)

Platter:

There is only one, Kinoton.

Favorite booth.......

Melbourne Forum Vic 10, 70mm.

David

Nick Perry
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 01:15 AM      Profile for Nick Perry   Email Nick Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ari, must be a Dolby cell! I have never had one with a freq response only till 4kHz. Anyway, the stability and easy of threading is what I was refering to as it's finer qualities.

Nick

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 03:46 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree. I always did like threading the Bauer U3. I could do it real fast, too. We had threading championships on that one (I never won; there was a guy who was simply incredible when it came to the U3).

So sad that there are none left in Sweden. I hear they pulled the last pair out from a ferry(!) just a couple of months ago.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 05:15 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ari,

No U3's in all of Sweden?

We have over 40 alone on our circuit here in Australia along with over 20,000 individual new parts for Bauer. The Army and Air Force use them in many of their bases across the country as well (did you see the F1-11 with the flame out the back at the Olympics Closing ceremony?)

David

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2000 06:12 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, no U3s left. The large theatre chains are all running V5 and Kinoton projectors, with a couple of DP70s here and there. The smaller chains and independents have a mix of mostly older brands, and then there's of course my Favorit70 pair.

It's sad. There are no U2s either. The only Bauer projectors I know of are B12 machines, but there could be others.

Yup, I saw the grand finale of the Olympics. Beautifully done, and that includes all of the games. You all have something to be very proud of.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: