Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How can I depressurize a xenon lamp?

Author Topic: How can I depressurize a xenon lamp?
Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2006 10:41 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
before i restate the subject, allow me to explain what i already know about xenon lamps. these lamps contain xenon gas at high pressure (10 atm cold, 30 atm hot) surrounded by a quartz envelope. Lamps must be handled with full safety gear (leather gloves, leather appron and full face shield) whilst using extreme care and respect at all times. mishandling and/or environmental changes may cause the envelope to fail, resulting in an explosion that will send out fragments of the envelope in all directions. This may lead to severe injury or worse.

i am trying to find a way to depressurize a xenon lamp without causing it to be destroyed. i would like to keep this safe version of the lamp in my booth for demonstration. im sure i could get one from osram, but im also sure it would cost a pretty penny.

one technique i can think of would involve making a hole in the hard protective jacket the lamp is transported in. i could then place the lamp in the jacket and postion the nib to be in line with the hole. then perhaps unseal the nib with some sort of tool via the hole. the tool would have to be easy to find and use as well as able to cut the quartz without destroying the rest of the envelope.

any other ideas or thoughts on this topic? has anyone else tried to do this with good results? cheers for the feedback!

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 05:04 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually use a hammer [Big Grin]

Seriously, I have never had the need or desire to try. Can it be done? That is for someone else to answer. All the depressurized bulbs I have seen have been new at the trade shows, and I always assumed they were never pressurized to begin with.

If it can be done, try calling Osram. They must have bulbs that were shipped back under warranty and they have no use for. Or send them 1 of yours if they can do it.

Rick

Paul Van Dusen
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 05:11 AM      Profile for Paul Van Dusen   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Van Dusen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you've ever had a bulb go blue on you, then you've done it already. Seriously though, the only way I know to do what your asking is by accident by overtightening the clamps on either end of the bulb when installing. Of course, you could always have a demo bulb like ours, still in the protective case. One of the good ones mind you, with the metal clasps. We've been getting the crappy ones held together with velcro lately. [bs]

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 05:22 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be done. But make sure that you protect yourself very well (in case something goes wrong). I have heard that you can snip off the filling tip (bulb into a box, only(!) a little hole with a tube that reaches to that tip, let something heavy fall onto the tip and do not look after). If done properly you will hear a hissing sound.

If it does not matter if the lamp is destroyed, wrap the bulb into its box, use some tape to close it very well and then throw it out of the window (preferably from the 2nd floor and up and of course if nobody is down there [Big Grin] ).
Or wrap the bulb into a strong cloth and use the hammer.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 05:34 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a thread on this a while back. Here's the LINK to it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2006 12:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it this way......

Use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to grind the extreme tip of the seal off and the gas will slowly leak out. Slowly is better than all at once! This is easy and relatively safe to do just be sure the lamp itself is wrapped in its explosive proof kevlar or what ever it is supplied with and allow the tip to protrude outside the wrap.

P.S. Be sure to still wear ALL of your safety gear when doing this... you could slip and grind the wrong place but the fragments will be contained within the wrap.

Mark

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched a program in hi def showing the Osram factory and the making of the bulbs. When they add the gas they dip the bulb into liquid nitrogen until the process is complete.

[ 07-09-2006, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Alan Gouger ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: