Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Towers - Ideal Setup

Author Topic: Towers - Ideal Setup
Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by the discussion in this thread;

Westrex Tower Capacity w/36" reels

I though it might be a good idea to survey best practice today, especially considering Health & Safety legislation.

Though many people say they've no problem lifting 36 inch reels if the feature isn't too long, the fact is that even a 6-reel title is still 25 - 30 kg in weight, and is officially too heavy to lift unaided, most especially to high level.

So...should best practice today be to use low-slung side-by-side towers, e.g as one would find on the Kinoton FP25D or the Cinemeccanica B4000, B5000 and BS bases for the Vic 5?

Making up onto 6000ft reels on the bench first seems an agreed way of avoiding lifting the 36 inch reels, but what is the best arrangement for splicing on the tower or the projector base? (I've seen people balancing splicers on high stools, and have found it difficult myself to do the job properly).

In short, if you were to open a cinema today with towers, what would be the ideal way to work it ergonomically and also comply with the H&S requirements?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2005 05:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the Kinoton SPT5000K (low slung reels) will allow one to build up and tear down directly on the tower (have done so too). The full size (same model without the "K") will also allow build and tear directly on the tower.

With the tall tower system I would think that if one were to move a print or build on a conventional rewinder for transfer to the tower one would load the film tails up on the lower spindle, and then rewind to the upper.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

Many thanks for your comments on this topic.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 02:42 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Guckian
Making up onto 6000ft reels on the bench first seems an agreed way of avoiding lifting the 36 inch reels, but what is the best arrangement for splicing on the tower or the projector base? (I've seen people balancing splicers on high stools, and have found it difficult myself to do the job properly).
Making up on 6ks in many cases doesn't avoid the need to lift full spools on and off a tower. Many of the cinemas that run towwers are single screens that often have anywhere from three to six prints made up at any time, and sometimes four different films running on the same day, so it's often necessary to lift prints on and off the tower between shows.

I think the Kinoton tower has a small shelf for a splicer attached to the framework, but the two most common ones, Westrex and Cinemeccanica, do not; it's a major design fault.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 02:56 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Westrex does, sort of, you sit it on top of the control box.

I really don't care for the cinemecannica tower at all, you can't control it. Also parts for earlier mocels are now all but impossible to obtain.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 04:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
Westrex does, sort of, you sit it on top of the control box.
True, but it's not ideal; it's rather too high for many people, and also rather narrow. If you're not careful it's not difficult to tip the splicer off the box as you press the handle down. Also, on a double-sided tower you really need a shelf on each side, or one that can be moved from one side to the other, to aviod either having to always make up on the same side, or work wrong-handed.

quote: Pete Naples
I really don't care for the cinemecannica tower at all, you can't control it. Also parts for earlier mocels are now all but impossible to obtain.
The Phoenix, East Finchley, had to replace theirs with a Westrex one a few years ago when something broke that they couldn't get spares for.

I still prefer to work with smaller spools than with any type of tower.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2005 05:19 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Making up on 6ks in many cases doesn't avoid the need to lift full spools on and off a tower. Many of the cinemas that run towwers are single screens that often have anywhere from three to six prints made up at any time, and sometimes four different films running on the same day, so it's often necessary to lift prints on and off the tower between shows.
Actually you can run four or more different films a day on a tower without even having to do any heavy lifting to the top whatsoever. All spools are left tail out after showing. On tower side ‘A’ after Film 1, Film 3 is rewound ready for showing. Tower side ‘B’ being used for Film 2 & 4. Therefore the only lifting to be done is at the bottom! Westrex engineer Billy Bell gave me that marvellous tip.

On a single sided tower it does of course mean rewinding time of say at least 15 minutes between films on continuous performances, but what the heck, and f**k the manager or owner when it’s your back breaking and should be a H & S issue anyway.

A Westrex 5035 double-sided tower.
 -
 -

[ 10-13-2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Bernard Tonks ]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-13-2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone post some photos of your tower setups?

Thanks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: