Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Westrex Tower Capacity w/36" reels (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Westrex Tower Capacity w/36" reels
Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 04:21 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone
I'm setting up a new cinema in the UK and have a Westrex double sided tower with 36inch reels, I believe these are about 13,000ft reels, I have heard that the capacity of reels are based on acetate stock and that since all new films are printed on polyester (thinner) stock you will actually fit more on a reel, any ideas what the max. capacity of one of these reels will be in feet or time?
Thanks in advance...

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 05:09 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, hello and welcome to Film-Tech!

Good choice on the Westrex 5035, they are easy enough to use, and indestructable. Contrary to popular belief, they do not damage film, if used correctly, follow the makers instructions and all will be well.

As to spool capacity, it depends on the size of the centre hub, there are a few sizes in common use. The Cinemecannica type has the largest hub and therefore the smallest capacity, there are two types available from Rigby, I don't recall the sizes of the hubs offhand, but here's a rough guideline. On the smaller size we used to get the entirety of Pulp Fiction , plus ads and trailers, which is estar based, and came in at a total of about 160 minutes. That equates to 14400 feet.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 06:16 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to get up to 3 hours worth of film onto one of these spools, picture below, made for the Westrex tower.
These have a diamater 2.5ins larger than the normal Westar spools. That is 37.5ins against 35ins.
You will have to increase the take up starting tension by about 20, but when up to speed can be adjusted back to the normal settings that you use.
They can be purchased from Robert Rigby.
 -

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-02-2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I mentioned in the now infamous 'soldering iron' thread, the cost of Rigby stuff is into second mortgage territory. It might be worth checking whether Peter Hall has some secondhand ones first.

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.fproj.com. Peter Hall's website.

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do have some reels, they are all 36inch, some seem to have an 8inch centre & some a 10inch centre, most say Premier on, some say Rigby.
Also Pete how do you know the tower is a 5035, or is there only one model of Westrex double sided tower?

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have a picture of one of these. I cannot go with a platter because of limited space so Im looking at alternatives.
Im thinking double mutt or something else. Thank you.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some some pictures of new single sided towers on This PDF.
The Westrex double sided towers are able to be rotated so they can hold two (13k) films at once and are in wide use in the UK.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I like that single unit. Who sells these in the states.

Thanks for the PDF.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume that Kinoton America would be able to advise you.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a quote on a new SPT 5000. WOW, Not what I was expecting. This must be the Cadillac of lines. I'm sure its a good product but ouch.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda,
Somewhere amongst my guff on the Eprad Double Mutt I use there is a formula supplied which allows one to calculate the run time of any sized spool.
This covers the varying hub diameters and the overall diam when loaded with a program.
The variable is the film stock used and when this was done only acetate was around and I have had to guess a bit when poly stock is loaded.
It is pretty accurate within 5 or 10 mins and I will dig it out and post it here for general info.
Regards, Lindsay

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-03-2005 08:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Goldberg Platter Reels are 38 inches diameter with a 10 inch hub. (I can verify tomorrow). Those can hold 2 hours 45-50 minutes of polyester film.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-03-2005 08:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At best you can fit 18% more tightly wound ESTAR based film on a reel than triacetate based film.

Specifically, the capacity in feet is:

L = (D^2 - C^2) x pi / (48 x t)

Where L is the length in feet.
D is the diameter of the reel in inches.
C is the diameter of the hub in inches.
pi is well, pi (3.14159 ...)
t is the thickness of the film in inches (0.0053" for ESTAR based films, 0.0062" for triacetate)

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 04:17 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, there were a few variants of the Westrex Tower, wide line, slim line, single sided, brake, non brake. However they are all model 5035.

The new Kinoton unit is excellent, as is the Projecsan ( I wouldn't say they copied Kinoton, but it's helluva close).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: