Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm Hello Dolly Print Destoyed? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 70mm Hello Dolly Print Destoyed?
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted Yesterday...

quote: rec.arts.movies.tech

If you were planning to catch "Hello Dolly" in 70mm at the Castro's 70mm Festival you can forget it. Sign on box office says print damage makes it unplayable so "Vertigo" (in 70mm) will return to take it's place.

Anyone know what happened to the print?

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they messed it up during the inspection screening... I've heard that the Castro tends to put cinch marks on the heads and tails of everything they play more than a few times.
If the head projectionist from that theatre is on this board, time to step up and defend yourself. [Wink]

I did a review of this film last year, it had some minor marks, but was still very watchable and very nice.70mm festival Coincidentally, that thread also adresses damage to a print of "Lawrence of Arabia" which was never explained. [Eek!]

Did Fox only make ONE PRINT of this title???

[ 08-05-2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lyons ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-05-2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well their screening date was August 11th., it could have been the last theatre.

Castro Theatre

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really sucks [fu]
As Marty said in GREASE...."double do-do"....... [evil]

Don

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think...not positive...that we're discussing 2 different prints here. There is a faded beat up print of "Dolly" (70mm) and somehow that's the print the Castro was going to wind up with. The new print is still in good shape.

Again, I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Jeff

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, Just remember that neither of those "Dolly" prints will fit your Grindamecanicas!

Mark

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2005 12:22 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I checked this. The new Fox print is still in fine shape. The Castro was indeed getting the old print, not the new one.

Fox only made one new print of each title in 70mm; it's amazing that they even did these. They are darned expensive and they'll likely never make their money back on these as it is.

Jeff

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-06-2005 01:50 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's fine and good... BUT!!!!! I'd still like to know who the asswhipe was that damaged the print!

Assholes!

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2005 02:50 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does that mean that FOX finds the Castro theatre staff incompetant by refusing the let them play the new print? If that is the case, why is anybody renting their 70mm to that venue?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2005 03:04 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe someone else booked it for the same date and got the good one? i've seen a couple of the 70mm's at the castro so far. 2001 was a little thrashed, especially the head of r1. maybe it was the same print that played there a few years ago, in which case it's seen some abuse in the interim. tonight was apocalypse now. the original release print was about half faded, scratchy, and splicy.

i have no reason to believe they're responsible for this damage. yes, it's my belief that cinching happens at reel ends there. next time i run into the projectionist i know who works there i'll try and remember to ask him about that.

i'm planning to see dragonslayer, tommy, and edward scissorhands next week.

by the way, the reason that vertigo will "return" is that on it's original playdate, there was no sound for the second half of the movie (bad dts disc) so they ran 2001 instead that night. they added (i think) 6 replacement screenings of it. hopefully with a good disc.

carl

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-06-2005 03:13 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that in Dolly Digital?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-06-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak still makes lots of 70mm VISION Color Print Film. Most is used for 15-perf 70mm prints. The price per foot is still only about twice that of 35mm print film.

The lab costs are higher mostly because the prints are made on slower printers and processing machines, and usually require an extra pass to print the DTS sound negative. Mag striping is rare because of the environmental restictions on the solvent vapors, requiring significant capital expenditure on solvent recovery equipment.

You also need to add in the extra cost of making a 65mm duplicate negative for release printing, which can be prorated over the number of prints made.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2005 08:09 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

When you're talking about the new print, are you referring to the restored version printed in 2002 that was shown at the Egyptian or is there a newer one?

Joe

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-06-2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-06-2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan said "So does that mean that FOX finds the Castro theatre staff incompetant by refusing the let them play the new print? If that is the case, why is anybody renting their 70mm to that venue?"
you seem to dislike the castro I understand that the new 70mm print is currently outside of north america at present

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: