Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter Problems with Christie AW3R

Author Topic: Platter Problems with Christie AW3R
Richard Edward Wells III
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Richard Edward Wells III   Email Richard Edward Wells III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone here knows how to go about fixing an extremely hard brain insertion/removal. I've cleaned the brain's male end, the female end, I've used lube. I tried lightly filing. Nothing seems to be working, but its only one two of the three platters. It's not the brain because none of the other brains work well with this platter either.

Also, does anyone know how to fix a platter that flucuates speed so badly that it will throw prints (especailly prints that have static)? When I adjust the motor speed, it seems to help slightly, but then, of course, after the movie has run through the platter is still spinning.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Edward Wells III
.. How to go about fixing an extremely hard brain insertion/removal.
..this is one of the big things that an operator needs to watch out with the AW3R platters, is the "correct" procedure on inserting the brains in the center hole.

Some operators just "slam and jam" the brains into the holes, thus flaring out the plug end of the brain, not knowing that this is pretty soft metal that is succeptable to this abuse. I've had to take a file and "lathe" the plug end being that it was actually flared some due to this insertion process mentioned above. Really, the trick to get away from this is try to insert the brain squarely into the mounting socket, and not banging it round trying to "home" into the socket.

quote: Richard Edward Wells III
to fix a platter that flucuates speed so badly that it will throw prints (especailly
Okey, this is a timing issue here. It'd be grand if you had the AW3 manual there to follow this, for one needs three and if the fourth tool is available, to do the PROPER timing procedures for the AW3(r) platter.

The tools needed is: a VOM, a "tweeker" alignment screwdriver, long handled allen screwdriver set, and the fourth optional tool called a "platter tachometer."

AW3's needs two timing arrangements: an electical and a mechanical timing arrangement.

If you don't know how to time these units properly, just adusting the motor speed pot settings will makes things massively worse.

Goto the manual section in FT and look up in the platter section for the CHR AW3R platters. In this, explains on how to time these units precisely.

good luck-monte

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go here

Christie AW3 platter tips

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, both are easy solutions.

First, use the link Darryl provided. DON'T use the instructions in the Christie manual. They are a recipe for thrown prints! Don't forget to check out the option of getting a platter safety ring too.

Second, go to the hardware store and get some 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheets of 40 grit sandpaper suitable for metal. Fold it in half and cut. Now fold that in half and cut. Now fold that in half and cut. You should have a strip that is just enough to wrap around the base of the brain and overlap a bit. Grasp it with your fist pretty firmly and while holding the brain still, twist your fist back and forth. What has happened is you have early model AW3R platters and they were always a tight fit, but get worse with even the slightest amount of rust or just years of collecting dust and dirt. Sanding down the axles will completely solve that problem. Just make sure you get some paper towels and give the base of the brain a good wiping down before you insert it into a platter, so as not to fill the axle with metal shavings.

Be forewarned, you will probably have to go through about 3 strips of 40 grit sandpaper at about a minute's worth of twisting each to get the job done properly, and providing you are putting enough pressure on the sandpaper, your hands will be hurting after a few brains so just knock a few out each day. Once you are done, you will be able to set the brain into the axle at any location, then give it a light spin and it will effortlessly drop into place.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I've had that little "nub" thats inside the axle that locks the brain in place get damaged or loosened and that causes similar problems. I don't know of a way to really fix it beyond replacing the axle itself. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: