Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Splicers and Tapes and Chad, oh my!

Author Topic: Splicers and Tapes and Chad, oh my!
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-16-2004 10:27 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing discussion from here

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-16-2004 10:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's from here. (Pages 59 and 60)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-17-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I'm only going through a roll or so a month which isn't that much. But I shouldn't need any. [Wink]

Ever Gonzalez
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Ever Gonzalez   Email Ever Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda hard to know exactly how much tape we go through a year when we have 8 splicers throughout the booth. I am sure though that we have dropped down in usage drastically when the NCN's went digital. Now THAT was a pain in my ass to sit there for 40 minutes per trailer ring! Per trailer shift (when we had NCN's to deal with) I would go through about 1 1/2 rolls of tape, sometimes 2 on those days when we get 7 prints like we do tomorrow. (all coming in at 4:30am of course!)

2 Spanglish
2 Lemoney Snicket
1 Flying Daggers
1 Flight of Pheonix
1 Alexander (we decided to take it down from DLP cuz it wasn't doing squat for the amount of seats in that auditorium)

It also depends on who uses the splicers. I have seen some splicers where the user had pulled tape as far as it could go all the way to the bottom end of the splicer past the tape trap. So it is really hard to know for sure.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-17-2004 03:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go through about 2-3 Neumade rolls each year for a film festival (about 75 35mm prints, of which about 20-25 are features and the rest are shorts). This is for a changeover house, where the tape is just being used to reattach leaders and make repairs as necessary. They also have a handful of 16mm prints (almost always shorts) which rarely need to be spliced, meaning that I only need a couple of feet of 16mm tape.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: