Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hey you, you suck! (AKA: Outing bad film handlers) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 100 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  98  99  100 

Author Topic: Hey you, you suck! (AKA: Outing bad film handlers)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2006 02:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a guy do that once. (Move a print without clamps or any other thing.) He just stuck his hands under the edge of the print, worked his fingers under there, picked the whole thing up and carried it away.

I won't reveal who this was, but he's no longer in the industry. He didn't drop the print, at least!

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to expose myself to too much riducule - but here goes. The booth I currently work in has no film clamps. Well, that's not entirely correct. We have them, but the are so huge, that unless the film is "The Departed" or "King Kong", the clamps don't even "clamp" the film.

I remember when I was at GCC we had AutoWind3 platters which would wrap so nicely, you could tape the end of the platter reel and literally pick up the entire wrap and carry it on your shoulder down to the next auditorium. The Strong POS that we have at present wrap the film so loosely that you must have two people to carry the prints - and even then they flop around like a $2 whore. Now, if you 'tight wrap' them by dropping a roller on the variac, they wrap up pretty nice for gazillion moves we have to do on Thursday night.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 03:48 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blaine,
Been in a similar situation. Can't help you with your platters, despise them myself. But with your clamps you could take a piece of packing foam and wrap it up with duct tape to make a padded "shim" if you will.
We currently do this at one of our theatres. Not the best, but it's better than loosing a loose print.

Now onto my rant...
I just received (to my knowledge) the only festival print being circulated of Congo River: Beyond Darkness.
For a beat to hell print it's in decent shape but whomever put a big fat white sticker that doesn't peel off in one piece across the first 4 frames of the reel [Mad] !!!
That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen!
Kudos however to whomever just played it (international festival in Norway??). Thanks for breaking it down competantly.
/end rant

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 04:31 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Page 100! Congratulations to all the people in the business who made this possible.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This [fu] goes out to Century Stadium 25 in Orange California who had print 53 of ‘A guide to recognizing your saints’ which I got in late last night. It was badly neglected with tails and headers missing and riddled with scratches (both base and emulsion). Also as a special gift they left some policy ads for Nissan and Chef Boyardee plus a bunch of lousy action movie trailers attached to the first reel. Gee Thanks! Like I really need another Ghostrider trailer...

ATTN: Stadium 25, you suck.
I am ashamed you call your self a Century.

[ 10-28-2006, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Alex Grueneberg ]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-27-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving trailers on the head of R1 is not a bad thing. Many downstream theatres appreciate it, because second-runs and non-theatricals often have trouble getting trailers.

--jhawk

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-27-2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
going back to the print move thingey, and I know I'll get a little razz on this, is that if a print is SO big (like that 11 reeler called TITANIC, or that 18 reeler called GODS and GENERALS..) is to move the entire deck instead of hassling with clamps that can't fit these monsters..

Just be flipping careful that you communicate with the clown on the opposite end of the deck that helping you on lifting and plopping that heavy deck on the empty spindle carefully..

Yea, seen that as well - clowns hauling prints on their shoulders without any clamps, boards, et.al. and hearing stories of prints hitting the floor if they tripped and the ring pops out...

-Monte
-monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 08:01 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with leaving the original attached trailer on the reel, but not the addition trailers that are added. Some 2nd run theaters dont get a lot of the movies that some megasplexes get, so its probably a pain for them to remove them all the time. Leaving everything on reel 1 is just pure laziness..I dont think their doing anybody a favor except themselves.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-27-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just the opposite: I like it when googooplexes leave their trailer paks on the print to where I don't have to do anything since I know that these movies will eventually be playing at my 6plex.

(only thing is I have to take their cue settings off and put mine on..)

-Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-27-2006 09:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad;

I did say that prints shouldn't go up/down stairs unless necessary. Yes, there are some booths where there is no other way, thanks to bone-headed architects and the empty suits who hire them.

However, if it is at all practical, it would be better to break the print down onto 6K reels and move it that way than to move it through dirty or dangerous conditions.

Just ask yourself, "Which is worse? Spending time winding and unwinding the film onto reels for transport or spending even MORE time picking the print up off the floor?"

If I was the only person woking in the booth who was able to movie prints and I didn't have a cart or a "Pizza Board" I'd break the print down.

Look at it this way. Management has a choice. They can spend some money to buy some equipment to make moving prints safer and easier or they can spend MORE money on payroll when people have to:

A) Work longer hours reeling and unreeling film for transport.

B) Work even LONGER hours picking prints up off the floor and paying for the damage.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you have one of those plywood film movers? I dont know exactly what their called, but for moving prints, it makes it easy and safe. It has two handles and one wheel on it..makes it extremely easy for 1 person to move a print even up a flight of stairs.

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2006 11:32 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I guess leaving the attached trailer on the first reel is'nt so bad but when its 4 trailers that don't fit the movie their on what’s so ever, are poorly cut together (no black, cut at last frame/first green frame) and are horribly scratched (both sides) that’s when I have a problem.

And for the 2nd runs we always take never used trailers of recently released films and put a couple back in the can instead of just throwing them out or letting them linger in the booth.
I get so many extras its absurd.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-28-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
Some 2nd run theaters dont get a lot of the movies that some megasplexes get, so its probably a pain for them to remove them all the time. Leaving everything on reel 1 is just pure laziness..I dont think their doing anybody a favor except themselves.
Frank: You're wrong. I am more than happy to get extra trailers attached to R1. On many occasions I've gotten trailers that way that I never would have gotten otherwise.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2006 02:58 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound like a jerk but...

quote: Monte L Fulmer
or that 18 reeler called GODS and GENERALS
It was 13...I need to get out more [Frown]

I prefer having the attachment if I pick up a sub-run. Somewhat ensures the ass-clowns didn't chop the studio logo off the beginning.
Otherwise, keep your filthy, improperly cut trailers to yourself!
...Of course any sub runs I get anymore are from Brendon and Regal.
Both of which SUCK!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-04-2006 12:32 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The rest of this thread has been moved to PART TWO.

[ 12-04-2006, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 100 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  98  99  100 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: