Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » This fake movie name crap has got to stop! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: This fake movie name crap has got to stop!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Over on the Incredibles feature info thread Cory Isemann points out that "Sand Dog" is actually a fake name...FOR A TRAILER...to Star Wars 3.

When will this end? There wasn't even a note in the can or any form of warning about this, and because of the star wars website, people are losing their heads calling in wanting to know if we will have it attached to our prints. The answer has been NO because we didn't receive them. Well great, turns out we DID receive them.

Way to go morons! Do you want your trailer shown or not? IT'S JUST A TRAILER! This just provides more proof that Jack Valenti is a babbling idiot, as is anyone who listens to his rantings on piracy and believes anything he says. You will NOT lose 579 gabillion dollars if someone finds out the secret name on the label of your precious trailer!!! [fu] [fu] [fu]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 11-04-2004 04:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Valenti has retired:

http://www.mpaa.org/about/dan/index.htm

quote:
Dan Glickman became President and CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) on September 1, 2004. The MPAA serves as the voice and advocate of the American motion picture, home video and television industries.
http://www.mpaa.org/MPAAPress/index.htm

quote:
For Immediate Release
July 1, 2004
JACK VALENTI ANNOUNCES RESIGNATION
AFTER 38 YEARS AS HEAD OF MPAA/MPA
Washington, D.C. - Jack Valenti today announced he will step down as President and
Chief Executive Officer of the Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. (MPAA) and
the Motion Picture Association (MPA).

I don't think that MPAA makes the decision to use fake title labeling, but this seems to be an example of where it backfired and was counter-productive. As has often been said here, a someone who is really determined to steal a print or trailer will know the fake name anyway, if the real title isn't already somewhere else on the paperwork or shipping label. And it can cause confusion for the projectionist if the "secret" word is not passed along to them.

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 04:16 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
totally agree

Psuedo names for feature films is barely tolerable as is.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-04-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, wake up Brad and get with it! Jacko is OUT!

However, I think he voted/appointed himself "Chairman" of the MPAA just so he could still pull the strings.

Also, Dan Glickman is very serious about going after internet movie pirates. There was a press conf here today saying MPAA/Studios/whoever will prosecute the low-life jerks that steal movies P2P on the inet. They are following in the successful footsteps of the music industry to cut down on the thefts.

>>> Phil

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this would explain all the calls we've been getting about SW3 being on this print. I'll continue to tell people no. There is NO SW3 trailer, however, there is a SAND DOG trailer on it.

Fake names are like Joe, they SUCK.... [Smile]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's really odd when the fake trailer names get printed onto the DTS trailer disks. But this isn't exactly new, didn't the Episode I trailers also have fake names?

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys in the US are not alone it goes on here in Australia as well and drives you nuts when you pickup a print in a hurry and then have a minor stroke when you see the title is not what you thought you were getting.
Open up the cardboard boxes and check each and every reel and then things settle down a bit. No worries you got what you ordered. [uhoh]

Terminator III over here had 3 names, "New Dawn" was one, can't remember the other and when you look at the carboard box it is plastered in all sorts of names.
Piracy is one thing but "lunacy" is another. Surely there is enough security about when prints are being shipped that any hope of one or some being "nicked" is not a possibility.

A couple of pirate DVD's I have seen were obviously taken with a handheld video in a cinema. Crap sound and heads in the way so it is not people getting hold of prints and trailers in transit.

Go back to naming it as it is... had enuff [Mad]
Lindsay

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2004 05:50 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good God!

I just finished putting four Incredibles prints together, and since space was limited on the cores (time issue) "Sand Dogs" didn't make the cut!!

I called our owners and asked what they want to do. I don't relish removing a trailer and adding this one just because some dumb bastards at Fox didn't have the courtesy to alert us about this! [fu]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-04-2004 06:25 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the same thing John. I built it and didnt run the Sandcrap trailer either. Oh well. If they dont want to put the extra effort in letting us know, then I'm not gonna put the extra effort of going back and adding it in and having my boss adjust showtimes for the extra few minutes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Mr. Valenti has retired
Sadly I wish it was that simple. However he is the cause of a continuing problem that will never go away. Crap like this will forever be his fault, even when he is dead and buried.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who is at the point of saying [fu] to running any trailer in the future that arrives with a fake name. Just like John and Jeremy said, they could have at least let us know! A note in the sealed cans would have been plenty sufficient and secure.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-04-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather the Star Wars geeks don't show up. They will watch the trailer and then either leave (disturbing the audience) or become bored and babble through The Incredibles (disturbing the audience). Let'em watch the goofy thing on the net.

I cannot wait for the whole self-important Star Wars thing to be frigin' over. Oh wait, it'll never be over....there's episodes 7-8-9 still. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-04-2004 06:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Re Jacko:

quote: Brad Miller
...he is the cause of a continuing problem that will never go away.
I don't get why you have such a hardon for him, Brad? Everytime I've spoke to him, he ALWAYS speaks very highly of you.

>>> Phil

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-04-2004 07:22 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOX did actually try to let some people know. Too little too late, and not going to reach most projectionists. Still.

quote:

Subject: Star Wars: Episode III Revenge Of The Sith news!
Date: 4 Nov 2004 15:23:12 -0800

This weekend marks the official start of earning trailer points towards our Win A Trip To ShoWest promotion. If a trailer checker sees Hide And Seek up with Alfie at your theatre, you're on your to winning!

Fox is extremely excited to launch The new Star Wars: Episode III Revenge Of The Sith trailer which shipped loose in the can with The Incredibles. The trailers are labeled as SAND DOG. One sheets and banners are also available. Please call 1-800-FOX-0010 to order your materials.

Visit www.FoxExhibitor.com today!

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fox is extremely excited to launch The new Star Wars trailer
That looks like a typo. It should have read Fox is extremely out to lunch on the new Star Wars trailer. They should know better than to expect ANYTHING to reach the actual projectionists assembling the print that isn't INSIDE the can. They can send 100 faxes, make 20 phone calls and send a pigeon with a note attached and the guys who need to know still won't get the notice at most theaters.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-04-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you don't automatically build everything they send you. Tsk..tsk...tsk. LOL. [evil] (I don't run trailers as part of my screenings at all.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: