Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Comments, please, on "Klipsch" speakers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Comments, please, on "Klipsch" speakers
Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2004 08:09 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My employment organization is in the process of rebuilding a 1939-era cinema, making it into a more "up-to-date" movie venue. We are in Los Angeles and will likely be doing fairly critical screenings for industry types out here...
Someone has suggested we use Klipsch speakers, instead of the more "usual" JBLs or E-Vs. Have any of you any comments/observations/insights on these for cinema sound installations? I know they have some that are THX approved, but most industry people I've met seem more familiar with the JBL and EV lines. Your opinions...?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-20-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the newer theatres down here was hyping their "custom designed" Klipsch sound systems. I went for a listen and was not particularly impressed. They seemed to be a bit muddy to me. I observed 5 different auditoriums at this theatre, and each one dissapointed me sonicly. The JBLs found in many theatres seem to be more clear and dynamic.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-20-2004 09:10 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul!

There was quite a bit of discussion a few years ago about a professional theater speaker system which uses a folded exponential horn design like ala Klipsch. This subject sure seemed to stir up some emotions though! [Roll Eyes] Posts discussing that system are presently blocked on this site. IIRC at least one house at the old Plitt Century City used that system. The threads:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004683
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000624

A search of this forum for "Klipsch" produces a couple of other threads were the name is mentioned, but the two threads above are the main ones. They do make for some entertaining reading. [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-20-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well let's see [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke]

I have never heard a truly good sounding auditorium equipped with Klipsch speakers. I have had to deal with 3 different makes of them at 3 different theaters now, plus I also dealt with the Klipsch-like system that destroyed the sound quality in Northpark Cinema II. There is NO true low end, and for those who think there is due to the sheer boominess, look at it on an RTA and you will see. It's sort of like Bose speakers. Plus there is always a nasty peak at around 125k and 4k. If I could put more puke smileys in one post, I would.

If you only want to play music, I suppose they do ok. I have heard some decent sounding Klipsch speakers in mega high end home audio stores that did the job pretty well. However for MOVIES with DIALOGUE? Oh hell no!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The direct radiator Klipsh are not too bad and they have a very shallow CD horn with them but still not my choice

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-20-2004 10:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to deal with a 6-plex that had Klipsch surrounds. They sounded shallow and I was never satisfied with them.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-20-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I also dealt with the Klipsch-like system that destroyed the sound quality in Northpark Cinema II
Klipsh speakers use a simular design to that of The System Which Must Not Be Named sold by The Man With The Scary Eyes?

Hmm now that I think about it, when I went to listen to a theatre with 4000-whateveraletterstheyare, my findings were similar - Muddy, boomy, lack of clairity at most frequencies, distractingly overbearing clairity at a few frequencies.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-21-2004 12:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're supposed to say klipsch with a lisp so it somes out Klipsssssssssssh..... [Big Grin]

I've delt with installing quite a few of the mid thousands numbered systems but it was a number of years back. My impressions always were that they have a muddy/boomy bottom end with poor low frequency extension... which is true because of the physical limitations of the huge folded horn cabinet itself are about 50 to 60hz, a distracting midrange in just some circumstances that sounded like the dialog was comming out of a horn yet some films sounded just fine, and a lack of extended high frequencies.... none of the tinkley little sounds, harmonics and real nuances made it through.

I'll never forget a trip I went on to Hollywood back in the 80's to pull a booth out for the employer that was using these systems.... I snuck over to the Chineese #2(gone now) and saw Willow in 70mm on a top notch direct radiator system.... still don't know exactly what the system was in the #2 theatre but the sound was glorious... The expereince was as though I was being slapped in the face and someone saying hey Bud... this is how a movie theatre is supposed to sound. I soon left those horney loaded mid thousands numbered speakers behind for good and have never gone back. One tip about those Horney loaded speakers is that they sound ALOT better if they are set up with a THX R-2 analyzer... a night and day difference literally! They are almost acceptable then.......

P.S. Be careful..... some perveyers of these and like speakers will make you think that they are capable of defying the laws of physics...... "The man with the Evil Eyes".....? Thats hilarious!

Mark @ CLACO

Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 01:05 AM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are Klipsch subs?

Our smallest house has only 14" clearance from wall-to-screen, and doesn't yet have a sub, and the company engineer tells me that the only sub we can get that's small enough to fit back there is a Klipsch (don't remember the model number.) This is a house with EV surrounds and nameless (literally, I can't find any labels on them) woodgrain-panelled beige screen speakers (that, surprisingly, have incredible bass response.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-21-2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You would be better off buying a single 15" JBL low frequency cabinet designed to be used as a stage speaker. Seriously, those Klipsch subs bottom out if you look at them wrong.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 10:24 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a local 10 plex that has these Klipsch speakers and they just don't sound good to me.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments, you all! Whenever I read advertising and publicity information, I'm always a bit skeptical. And the fact of sound devices being "THX certified" doesn't quite mean the same thing it did when they started doing that, back in the '80s! If we wanted to make the place really "hip", we could perhaps search out Fender equipment, but I think based on the comments here we'll probably stay on the JBL or E-V route.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-21-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Are they trying to redo the Vogue Theatre?

Mark Hathaway
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2004 08:04 AM      Profile for Mark Hathaway   Email Mark Hathaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy guys,

Over here in Australia we use Klipsch everywhere, okay we are the Klipsch Cinema dealers, but all things aside I have a completely different opinion of the Klipsch cinema range then has been put forward in this thread so far. I find them the easiest to EQ and really love the sound.

There are so many different variables when setting up the B chain in a cinema that it can be challenging to judge sound between different brands in different auditoriums, it can be hard just to maintain consistency though a 10 plex with just one person performing alignments. No doubt the technician's techniques and preferred sound play a large role in the final results.

We install Klipsh in almost all of our new installations apart from the odd few with Krix in the past. I also spend a large part of my time on the road performing routine servicing, and so get to spend a lot of time with EV and JBL as well.

When the right speaker package has been selected for the auditorium, everything is right behind the screen, batting on back wall, the speaker is as close to the screen as possible without touching and the eq is right, (okay, some are going to try and say we don't need to eq at all, but I ask, anechoic performance is maintained behind a perforated screen?)and a half decent cable has been used between amp and speaker, (oh and of course a QSC DCA amp has been used, call me biased, but you cannot find anything better!!) it all comes together and sounds great.

I find the Klipsch/QSC combinations to subjectively achieve the cleanest sound, while I’ve not dragged my own personal Bruel and Kjaer mics into a Klipsch/QSC auditorium, I believe one would find measured basic harmonic distortion at real power levels in a real auditorium to be lower then any competitors at similar spec/price point.

I must say one of the most disappointing combinations I have heard was the JBL 5674 three way and a small mountain of 4642a’s in an 600 seater driven by Crest, and my favorite was with klipch kpt-904’s and two kpt-684’s in a 400 seater driven by QSC DCA’s. I could even watch a movie in their 904/684 auditorium, I’d even pay to see something there, and that’s saying something.

Regards,
Mark Hathaway
Senior Technician
Atlab Image and Sound Technology
Melbounre, Australia

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-22-2004 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I'd have to say that who ever installed the 5674 system over there did not design it correctly. Crest amps are also not very well liked for cinema use either... they are ok but not great performers.

All of the 5674 and the smaller(they're actually not very small!)5672 systems I've been assiciated with have been the most sucessful and best sounding systems out of all the installations over the years that I've been assosiated with and have done, and I've done a fair number of them.

All of the 5600 based systems I've designed have been installed in baffle walls and they're really meant to be done that way. Someone spending the amount of cash that these speakers cost is usually interested in doing the job the right way and you won't find them sitting on a shelf behind a screen. My experience with Klipsch products only extends through the horn loaded MWM based 3 and 4 way systems and the smaller TSCM and LaScalla based systems, and although they are all adaquate performers they are highly overpriced for the resulting sound quality. Even the 4 way MWM based systems have no where near the sound reproduction ability that the 5600 JBL systems are capable of if designed properly. Heck, even an experienced engineer like yourself is certainly intellegent enough to know that..... hopefully you have an "open mind" when it comes to cinema sound systems... hopefully not a one track Klipsch only mind. If you are the latter then you my friend are really missing out on the good stuff, and the fun of using it.

Interestingly JBL and Harmon have the most sophisticated acoustical labs in the world and generally set the standards that others have to attempt to equal or surpass. Companies such as EAW, Altec, E-V, and Klipsch try to keep pace with them but usually fail or barely come close.....

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: