Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » John Allen: "All Seats Hear Stereo" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: John Allen: "All Seats Hear Stereo"
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-19-2003 11:28 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the basis of this new claim for HPS4000 by John Allen? Has anyone heard an explanation behind this?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-19-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how he's doing it, but I'm surprised he didn't do it before. [Smile] [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The basic info is at www.hps4000.com but it doesn't explain how such a thing is achieved. I meant to go back to the HPS booth on Thursday, as when I shot that video late Wednesday afternoon we were running behind in preparation for the FT drink. By the time Thursday came and went (shooting other booths frantically before ShoWest closed) I just knew this question would arise since I didn't get it on the video.

Hopefully John can swing on in and explain it in more detail so it makes sense.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aparently he has grafted ears onto the seats. Butt do the seats also have brains to interpret the sounds? What about noses? Would "All Seats Smell Stereo"? Scratch that. Does the seat have a coin slot so one can put in a nickel to activate all 5 sense? [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I think he has gone overboard this time. Weather its in the shallow end or in the deep end remains to be seen...or heard.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-20-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No maybe it is spread more evenly rather than just higher and deeper [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured he would have responded by now. Anyway, let's give him a chance to explain how this works. [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-21-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bottom line is that it is basically an aiming technique. It's an old idea written about long ago by Paul Klipsch and was tested back then by having subjects move to different places in the soundfield and chart the apparent location of individual musicians in a jazz group whose music was being played. Sort of an objective evaluation of subjective impressions. I haven't seen the research but I suppose if more people sitting in more places can better localize the individual sounds then there could be something to this. No reason to dismiss it without knowing more.

[ 03-22-2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Steve Kraus ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct that speaker aiming is certainly part of it. I only had a few minutes to ask about it, and John Allen did explain that the stereo image is greatly affected by the aiming, optimized for the dispersion of the particular speaker being used.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-22-2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the HPS surround arrays were probably the only ones I ever heard which actually FILLED the room with surrounding sound rather than throwing some effects in from the sides from time to time.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 05:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if he's using any kind of active processing like SRS or Q-Sound or something to enhance the directional effects. It's pretty amazing what some of those processes can do.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
I agree that the HPS surround does usually work well, but I've heard many other surround arrays work really, really well too. It all depends on if the array was designed correctly or not, and if the theatre is accepting to proper positioning and aiming of the surrounds. These are just a couple of the things one has to consider...these are usually the most difficult to acheive in an installation. HPS to my knowledge doesn't use any active stuff normally. We're still awaiting the Grand Pooba to reply on this though.....
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that the published beam angles of the klipsh stuff that were the basis of the HPS had a narrow dispersion pattern than the JBL 4675 I question how that can be done.
If you want true dispersion use the SA speakers

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-23-2003 03:28 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if JFA is the Grand Poobah then I guess you'd be the *Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler! Steve G can be The Great Gazoo.

* I swear I used to think Kramden was saying "Grand High Exalted Mr. Gruler" which is even funnier. [Smile]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-23-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any hot-spot or directional issues with the Klipsch surround speakers if they were properly placed. I think they are excellent speakers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: