Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "strong" platters not so strong...

Author Topic: "strong" platters not so strong...
Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our projectors has a top platter that wobbles when there is around 5 minutes of film left, and more than once has tossed some of the print off of the platter completely. Every time we check it out it seems sound, nothing loose or missing, and I am just curious what could be done. Is it off center? Curved? Just old?

Oh yeah and I'm new to this site it seems pretty darn cool.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FACT: Ninjas are not able to kill a sleeping person, so they kick them first and then kill them.

It usually helps to post more specific information on your equipment. Phase control, microswitch, how old they are and so forth.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-13-2004 01:13 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing I would do is check out why your projector is equipped with a platter deck.

Then I would check your platter system to see if the top platter is missing a bearing (or if the bearing is really shot), if it's wobbling enough to throw a print. There are two bearing per platter deck.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-13-2004 05:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, there is only one theater that I know of in Vista, and that has Christie platters, not Strong. But maybe there is one which managed to hide from me so far..

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-13-2004 06:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Greg doesn't live at the theatre. [Smile]

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also want to check the drive pulley's bearing. Then check the 'o-rings' for flat spots. [Eek!]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the deck could be warped/dented because someone in the past was careless.

Check all those other things first but if the deck is warped then you are looking at $500 for a new deck.

You may also want to order a Platter Safety Ring.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can try all the above solutions or just simply tighten up the loose axel nut inside the end of arm. Seen this problem at least a hundred times and I carry a special wrench in the truck for this job...can't remember exactly if its 15/16 or 1 inch though. A crescent wrench(also known in this part of the country as a girlie wrench) will not work so don't try it.... get the right size wrench for the job.

Mark @ CLACO

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-13-2004 06:56 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot about that nut at 3am. Never seen one myself loose enough to throw a print (although I've seen far less Strong platters than Mark and some others here), but it'll certainly make the deck wobble.

You have to remove the 10-32 screw (and light assembly) from the end of the arm to get at it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-13-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Maybe Greg doesn't live at the theatre.
Hmm...good point.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-13-2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had so many of those nuts come loose that i can't tell you.... many came loose several times and required locktite to keep them in place.... I bet that Steve k can remember some of those.... The Geneva theatre was one place that it happened to at least several times then had the locktite treatment. Then those loose nut problems just stopped happenning and I have not seen one in at least several years. Apparently they either changed the threads or the hardware manufacturer. I'd be willing to bet thats his problem though.

Mark

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from work, its a model 35. Didn't get a chance to try out everything, but sweet tips thanks. Hey Mike, its Greg from Galaxy! The guy who carried 2 power supplies down a flight of stairs... Nice seeing you here. Perhaps you would be the one to ask than! I'll bring it up next time you come by, if the Head projectionist and I dont finish it before than with these tips.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 12:50 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg:

I sent you an email with an attachment on Strong Platter deck wobble checks/fixes yesterday. Did you receive it?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2004 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Why not post it here for all Film-Techers to see [Cool] ?

Mark

Greg Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2004 12:09 AM      Profile for Greg Davis   Email Greg Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah I got it, thanks man. Very helpful. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: