Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD-10 crashed after update installation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: DTS XD-10 crashed after update installation
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 02:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I installed the software update that came from DTS into our XD-10.

Tonight, the machine would not work. The "Initializing...." screen came up as normal when I powered up, but that's all. 45 minutes later it was still initializing. Finally I shut it off (the back-panel switch too) and waited a few minutes, then powered up again. Same thing.

Called the DTS help line and talked to Karen. She said I could open the unit up and re-seat the boards but it probably would not help. (She was right, it didn't.) She then told me this was not serviceable in the field and we would have to get a replacement unit sent out on Monday.

And, the #%$ thing is one month out of warranty. #%$*&!

Karen did not think the software update had anything to do with my problem, but I'm wondering if anyone else had problems after installing it.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-12-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night before your shows or after? That is, has it worked at all since the update?

I'll bet a nickle that it had eveything to do with the upgrade.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try to load in the software again from a cold boot. Even if that does work all your settings might be gone.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2004 03:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, the #%$ thing is one month out of warranty. #%$*&!
Oooooooooooooh, not good. A few years back I had a unit that was just out of warranty and the drives were failing. Karen told me in polite wording "tough shit" and I was left having to buy a replacement drive kit. Meanwhile of course, dts was sending out bazillions of drive kits to the mega-chains free of charge. Gotta love a company that screws the little guys.

If you get screwed into having to put any money into replacing/repairing that unit, even shipping costs, complain here and complain loudly. If the unit worked yesterday, but failed after doing their software upgrade today, it is the software update to blame.

Has anyone else successfully done this update to an XD10? More importantly, does anyone have a clue as to what this update is supposed to do? This wouldn't be the first time an "update" actually created new problems. (Remember all of the various timecode chips they kept sending out before they got it right with v1.46?)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably contains a fix for this here along with whatever other problems they've discovered to date.

Or maybe they added things to nullify this (possibly BS) program loading procedure detailed in the February 2004 Tech Talk newsletter.

Another example of why I usually sit on hardware updates for months or more if there's no problems with the hardware in question as it is.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-12-2004 03:41 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard, this update is supposed to address piracy concerns. It appears that starting next month, the disks sent with prints will have piracy protection on them, and dts players must be updated before the new protected disks will play.

I'm worried that this will make it so that the players cannot read burned cd-r copies, thereby alienating individual print collectors and hobbyists.

The xd10 cd-rom update also includes software updates for the 6AD.
The 6D units will be updated automatically through the feature disks.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And DTS-6 boxen?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2004 11:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
From what I've heard, this update is supposed to address piracy concerns.
That's pathetic. Who in their right mind would want the audio to a feature, but not the picture? Also, what about all of the copyrighted trailers? I demand dts account for each and every single trailer disc, or the industry is bound to lose bazillions more every year just like Jack Valenti says. [Roll Eyes]

Besides, ANYTHING can be copied. It won't take long for someone to figure out a work-around to this new scheme of theirs anyway.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Brad, I think their concern would be someone taking a PC and arranging to do the audio decoding (which of course they are only a licensee and not sole owner of) via software. In fact it's possible that such an arrangement might not even violate their rights if the decoding is properly licensed and the management & control is built into the dts.exe that is on their CD's.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2004 11:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter Steve. Even with that scenario, there is always a work-around. All it takes is a brain-geek with a little bit of dedication.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
I'm worried that this will make it so that the players cannot read burned cd-r copies, thereby alienating individual print collectors and hobbyists.
It would also stop a cinema which doesn't get DTS discs delivered along with their print from borrowing someone else's set and duping them. I've never worked in a DTS site myself but several people I know who do or did tell me that distributors failing to ship discs with prints is a big problem. At the moment they can get round that problem by borrowing someone else's set and duping them. But if DTS introduces a copy protection system which puts a stop to that, then I predict a lot more opening night screenings being in SVA only.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
It would also stop a cinema which doesn't get DTS discs delivered along with their print from borrowing someone else's set and duping them.
Why should anyone have a problem with that? The disks should have been in the can in the first place.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done that countless times for other local theaters (and my own). It's mostly due to sneak preview screenings, where the theater doing the sneak forgets to put the discs back in the cans, circuits and occasionally the depot flubs up.

Remember also the not-so-uncommon "broken disc" issue too.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, don't forget about running the film on several screens (projector to projector). You will need several sets of DTS discs. You know there is going to be a big mess when these discs come along, and not all DTS players have gotten the update. This anti-copy crap is going to be nothing but trouble. Sounds like DTS is trying to put themselves out of business, STUPID. I think they have the best system, too bad they want to force you to use Dolby Digital.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 09-12-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's really to battle a "piracy issue" it's probably something stupid like a file layout/header change to combat the software decoder(s) talked about here.

Since all DTS processors use STOCK CD and DVD drives it is NOT POSSIBLE for them to incorporate a copy protection scheme on the disc itself, like Playstation discs.

I'll donate $100 to charity if I cannot copy a "new" DTS disc in under an hour.

Can someone send in some ISOs of the new update discs. I know DTS will send them to you free o' charge, but I'd rather just not call them. It seems they're always out to lunch when I call.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: