Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » XD10 problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: XD10 problem
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI everyone

A strange problem. We have an XD10 on one of our screen. I found it sometime in FOrmat 10 BUT with dts reproducing normally (blu led). It happens often, I can just switch to Format 11 with no problems. I tried blocking the timecode to check the automation, no problems. The CP is a CP650.
I put a video camera some time ago, the resolution was limited but I saw the blu led flashing once during the show. The CP swicthed in DD, but it didn't came back to DTS when the blu light came back.

Our automation does not send any type of signal during the show.
I can check the cables for interferences or similar but I would like to know if some of you had this type of problem with XD10 (say, a buggy firmware) before messing with the cables.

Thanks for your help!

Bye
A

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2004 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
This is really a question for DTS and you should e-mail them. But PLESE post what they tell you here on this thread.

We have had a couple of switching related problems with XD-10's when used with Ultra Stereo JS processors but its only at the end of show that the problems appears and its only when you re program the comtrol lines for a unit that does not have SR.

Best to contact DTS regarding this.... or you could try that XD-10 on another Dolobly 650.

Mark

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

We are having the same problem with several units. I've been talking to DTS and they/we are trying some things. If i hear anything I will let you know.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 06:05 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry

Thank you very much.

I'm sure that the problem is in the unit (in the software I'd say) and not in the setup.

Awayting for your news!

bye
A

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2004 08:16 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

I've been talking to software programers and engineers. They think they have figured out why processor is not going back to digital when this problem happens. Its due to a programming glitch that allows to the pulses to happen to close to each other. However they have not figured out why the digital failure is occurring. However your video camera trick was very helpful. Do you know by chance if the timecode led fluctuated at all or was it just the Digital led.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2004 08:20 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the resolution was too low. I was able to see just the blue led flashing.

Bye
A

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-26-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I shouldn't need to remind people of common internet forum courtesy, but will anyway...

If you come on here and ask for help and end up receiving it offline, you have an obligation to return to your thread requesting help with the resolution so it may benefit others in the future with the same issue.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

of course, if I'll know something new "offline" I'll post the results asap!

Bye
A

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I have left anything out but I apoligize if I did. I always try to post anything I hear. Latest news I heard Friday. DTS has found the problem and are rewriting the software right now. It is being Alpha tested right now and I am suppose to be getting a beta version to test on one unit next week. I don't know how long the beta test will be but I will let everone know as soon as it is avalible for production release from DTS.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Larry!

Bye
A

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 07:45 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recieved software upgrade. It is going into production today and I was told it will be shipping in the next week or two. Our theatres recieved a notice in the mail about it. Part of this upgrade is suppose to take care of the problem Antonio and I were both having. Upgrade is fairly quick and painless. Just load the disk and when it is done reboot the XD10. When it reboots it takes about 5 minutes and MAKE SURE IT DOESN"T GET TURNED OFF during this procedure.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our cases for the discs that came this week had a note about the update. It said that it would affect both the XD-10 and the 6AD.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2004 07:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With an XD-10 above all don't shut it down when its booting up. doing so may corrupt the data on the HD which it cannot recover from on its own. With the XD-10 I would have to say that DTS using Linux as the OS may have been a bad mistake...... this is one place that dOS might have been better to stick with...

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-09-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a reliability and functionality standpoint, Linux was the way to go.

From a legal standpoint, well I hope DTS has a big legal department.

Alan Haigh
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2004 08:07 AM      Profile for Alan Haigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least you're not paying Microsoft with every unit. And it won't be just DTS if the Linux enforcers come along! Everything from routers to aeroplane entertainment will be affected, as well as XD10s and, more importantly, me. And besides, have you seen one crash during a show yet?? Didn't think so.

Alan (typing on his extremely cost effective copy of Fedora Core 2)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: