Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Soul Plane" Cyan Dye Track Performance (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: "Soul Plane" Cyan Dye Track Performance
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 08:23 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is for posting first-hand experience with the performance of the cyan dye analog track used for the MGM film "Soul Plane", which opens in theatres today (May 28).

If you are playing "Soul Plane", please post your experience with the performance of the cyan dye analog soundtrack here. Please give the print number and verify that the analog track is indeed cyan dye (has a sky blue color). Among the things to report on are:

When played on a red reader in Dolby SR analog, how did the print sound?

When switching between digital sound and analog sound, did the playback levels match?

Did the playback level and sound quality match that of other silver+dye analog tracks on the trailers you are playing in the same roll? Comment on level, noise, frequency response, sibilant distortion, and other factors.

For those still using tungsten or IR readers, try playing the cyan dye track on those readers (not for an audience of course!). Is the sound about -11dB from normal level as expected? If you increase the gain to normal listening level, how noisy is the track subjectively?

Please provide details about the type and model of reader(s) you are evaluating, and what tracks you are comparing the cyan dye analog SR track of "Soul Plane" to.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget to mention results for those that only have Dolby A or mono houses. What about those folks using laser or Jaxlites?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By all means, we want to hear how the cyan dye tracks perform on old outdated equipment too. [Wink]

Dolby SR and its clones have been around for almost two decades. [Roll Eyes]

Anyone still playing SR encoded tracks with mono or Dolby A is certainly not interested in the best sound.

Actually, it would be interesting to hear how the cyan dye tracks perform with a mono cell using a red light source, as that may be the best option for theatres playing mostly old mono B&W classic films, including the rare unilateral tracks that Leo has had to deal with. [Cool]

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2004 01:17 PM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John --- This time I hope they printed the SRD track using black (not cyan) since I have a CAT 700 reader (white light)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SRD is not affected by a cyan track as it is a dye image anyway

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Anyone still playing SR encoded tracks with mono or Dolby A is certainly not interested in the best sound.
It may mean that they (or more likely, their employer) cannot afford it. Or it also may mean that their theatre is an old, large auditorium, the acoustics of which mean that the channel separation of A-type or SR just gets lost in the room space, and so there's no point in playing anything other than mono. So it might be that the theatre owner is having to balance the best sound for the film against the best sound for the building.

quote: John Pytlak
Actually, it would be interesting to hear how the cyan dye tracks perform with a mono cell using a red light source, as that may be the best option for theatres playing mostly old mono B&W classic films, including the rare unilateral tracks that Leo has had to deal with.
Related to this and as luck would have it, we're showing the National Film & Television Archive's print of Men of Steel the week after next, in the main auditorium of the University in which our archive is based. It has a pair of Kinoton FP-20s with red readers running on changeovers, feeding a CP650 processor. There is another lecture theatre on campus which has a Vic 5 and incandescent exciter. The Men of Steel print has a unilateral RCA track (or at least it did when I viewed it on a Steenbeck at the BFI a couple of months ago); when it's up here I'll run a reel on the 'old' projector by way of comparison and report back on any obviously audible sound differences.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 08:00 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SRD track was essentialy black and white no cyan color involved. So I guess they figured out the problem that they had with the Anything Else prints that had everything Cyan.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-28-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap was the last to post
Ahem... you hear that AMC?? [uhoh] Anyone listening? [sleep] Hmmm. Guess not. [Roll Eyes]

Sorry back to the topic. My print isn't cyan, so I can't be of any further assistance.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-29-2004 05:39 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
My print isn't cyan, so I can't be of any further assistance.
That's news! Please post the print number.

David Ingalsbe
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for David Ingalsbe   Email David Ingalsbe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recived two print of soul plane and nither were in cyan. [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] I will have to check the numbers this week.

Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange! [eyes] One would have thought that the film distributors would have started issuing trailers months ago in Cyan so you could fix any problems discovered before a full-scale Cyan conversion of feature films, Could it be that the Cyan tracks are a DOWNGRADE in sound quality & distortion? [Confused]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-30-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, are you new here? [Wink]

Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2004 04:42 AM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good day David
Yes I am new here only joined up a few weeks back,when I was making an inquiry about this new cyan sound and what was the best system etc.

I own Century's which are fitted with the TR4B sound reproducer, one has never been converted to stereo (same as it left the factory) the other was changed to stereo by moving the exciter light to the end where the solar cell was originally fitted.

The Kalee soundhead is the 890 which is stereo for the drive in, the solar cell runs straight into a preamp-FM STEREO transmitter, The Drive in went Stereo years ago and our first Stereo movi was WILLOW [beer] [beer] [Eek!]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-30-2004 09:02 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank said"Strange! One would have thought that the film distributors would have started issuing trailers months ago in Cyan so you could fix any problems discovered before a full-scale Cyan conversion of feature films"

It has been how many years this has be going on for so every exhibitor has had more than ample time to get their house in order to be able to play this type of track.
Cyan tracks existed long ago as well on cinecolor and some IB experimental prints as well so it is not new technology either just the adaptation of the reverse scan and red LED technology is and those issues have long ago been resolved

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 12:39 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gents,

It's funny how if someone so much as sneezes in this forum and it sounds remotely like "CYAN!" then a whole new discussion starts on what cyan tracks are and how they impact everybody! Please keep the Cyan track discussion over there so we can try to stay on topic here. Thanks! [Smile]

My Soul Plane print # is 2360, and no cyan track.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: