Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CYAN DYE tracks FACTS OR FICTION (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CYAN DYE tracks FACTS OR FICTION
Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey There Everybody,
Well today 20/5/04 I recieved a letter from Buena Vista advising all
us cinema owners that they are making the switch to cyan dye tracks.
The first movie will be Mr. 3000 released on September 24 and you MUST
have a projector equipped with a visable red light analog reader or
you will have NO SOUND

This has caused a great deal of panic with some exhibitors rushing out spending $1,000 per reader per projector

Is this no sound true or is it just a con?

I have 1 Kaylee (for Drive in) and 2 Century projectors (Cinema)to
convert, any ideas on what's the cheapest way of doing this as I hear
of easy do it yourself laser ideas but...........

We were told that this new sound would be in place by 2000 but nothing
happened,Australian Film distribitors know nothing about it, now
Disney is the first to change will others follow.
Thanks for any help
Frank
Nth Qld
Australia

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that you'll have NO sound. You'll probably have very POOR sound.

For more information see this thread:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f1/t005104.html

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is true. Not only BV but MGM will be going to 100% dye tracks.

It is NOT true that you will get *NO* sound. Yes, you will get SOME sound but it will be crappy. It will have low level and poor quality.

This only applies to analog sound. Digital sound systems will be unaffected. Thus, if you play 100% of your shows in digital formats you will be able to play normally UNLESS your sound system falls back to analog. However, if/when you do fall back to analog your sound will go to shit.

I don't know about the $1,000.00 price tag. Maybe. I just don't know for sure because I haven't priced that stuff in a long time. It depends on what kind of deal you can make with your equipment distributor.

I'm sure others will be along shortly to fill in the gaps.

In the mean time, check out www.dyetracks.org

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-24-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$1000.00 for a reader is highway robbery, at least here in the States. Donno about your currency and such down there. DOesn't Panastereo make a nice reader?

Mark

Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2004 10:21 PM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good day again
Jaxlights aprox $1,000 AU to suit Century was price quoted to me last week
not happy lol

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 10:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jaxlites are a BAD idea! More trouble than they are worth. Get the real conversion. Once you do, you won't have to worry anymore.

Furthermore, with a good reverse scan conversion package to red LED, A-Chains will be a breeze! (Once properly installed.)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-24-2004 11:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The published paper by Paul Goldberg says the signal level of a cyan dye track on a tungsten reader will be about -11dB in level:

http://www.dyetracks.org/ci.os.0012.reddye.html

quote:
As you can see, the tungsten reader reproduces a cyan dye track print with a loss of ~11 dB, whereas the red LED reader reproduces cyan track and silver track prints with almost equal amplitude.
In other words, on a tungsten reader, a cyan dye track will require increasing the gain considerably, with a resultant increase in noise. This is because the cyan dye is essentially transparent to infrared energy, and cannot modulate it efficiently.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-25-2004 06:52 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of this date, the Austrailian Dollar is trading such that 1 US Dollar buys 1.42 Austrailian Dollar. So, our friends down under have a 42% price hike on anything coming out of the states just to get it to their country. Then add on any tarriffs, freight...etc...lastly the dealer mark up and before too long...you are at a high price compared to what you may be used to in the States.

Steve

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - a Kalee 1 !

Have you considered laser cyan conversion kits ? No preamp, last forever... TO be fair, we sell a laser kit but there is one other on the market too which I believe is OK. Pricing £GBP360 for one of ours, which I believe fits straight into a Kalee lens holder (do you know the diameter ?).

Does the Kalee have a photo cell or a valve pickup ? God knows how a tube would react to white thru cyan light..

But hey, a drive in with a Kalee 1 - no offense but I guess mono sound from a pre Dolby system - if it has plenty of gain up it's sleeve it might be worth taking to BVI and getting a sample to run. But it is a bit naughty of them to tell you that you will have no sound..

Re Jaxlites, I can't really comment but I know a few of our clients have taken them out and installed lasers.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-25-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model soundhead is the Kalee 1 mounted on
CE makes a reverse scan basement reader for the Gaumont Kalee soundheads that were used on the 19-21 projectors

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-25-2004 11:49 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still like to know...just for curiousity...what level can be attained by cranking the heck out of an incandescent bulb (considering normally they are undercranked) even at the cost of greatly reduced life and increased chance of failure...and upping the preamp gain. I may have to set up one of my incandescent Century soundheads to find out. If only they would make some cyan trailers as has been suggested over and over.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-25-2004 11:54 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just upping the tungsten light level is not a "fix" for the low level. You need to eliminate the infrared energy to which the cyan dye is transparent. The cyan dye very efficiently modulates the red light, but the infrared energy just goes right through the track.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-25-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Showest one year Kinoton had a quartz lamp conversion with a presion dichoic filter that they claimed would work

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-25-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume this is the Kinoton unit?:

http://www.kinoton.com/rotlicht.htm

http://www.kinoton.com/tontechnik.htm

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-25-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter...360GBP will set you back $920AUD plus freight, tariffs and other mark ups.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: