Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thrown LoTR on Christmas Eve (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Thrown LoTR on Christmas Eve
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2003 09:05 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just need to tell my horror story with LoTR tonight.

I started the show at 4pm and everything was normal until after I started a 6:45 show of another film. I went downstairs to check on a few theatres that were letting out soon and I get 3 people come out of LoTR saying that it's burning.

I run upstairs and what to my eyes should see. The print (reels 7-10) completely thrown on the floor. No brainwrap or tailwrap.

It was wrapped around the motor, and flew under the platter.

It was a truly shocking sight.

I finally got through the tangled mess, cut the burnt parts out and made only 2 splices to get the rest on the take-up platter.

Total time, 1hr 15 mins. My boss walked up and her first words were, "Holy [bs] "

I just left it on the floor as I wrapped it up on the platter since it threw anyway. Gonna be fun to see how it looks on screen tomorrow though...

I just wanted to share my Christmas Horror Story.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-25-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happened at one of my locations today also.

Same showtime.

Tail wrap wasn't taped down.

Brad -- I want one of your rim jobs. [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-25-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need this item to prevent that from happening ever again.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-25-2003 01:50 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -- I want one of your rim jobs

Oh, and a platter ring as well.

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-25-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary:

Joe doesn't know what a rim job is. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-25-2003 02:10 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, please post here what a "rim job" is for those of us that don't know.

Thanks!

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-25-2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the exact same device that Joe refers to in his link. Brad's new invention.

We should all be so fortunate as to get a rim job for Christmas!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-25-2003 02:40 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
OIC... I guess I was confused because at 1st you said Joe didn't know what it was.... but now you agree with him... I see.

>>> Phil

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-25-2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lay off, Phil!

A census taker tried to test me once; I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-25-2003 03:04 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAAAaaa, whaaaa...

Merry Christmas, Manny! [beer]

>>> Phil

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. OK,howabout a two piece disk to slip under the print which the platter ring fastens to & holds together & have the ring designed to keep both halves from falling out when moving a print? Also a plastic circular cover which fits the ring & also the takeup ring to keep dust & other stuff off the print when it's stored or moved?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2003 02:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, pay attention. The safety ring solves this problem. It's design while it looks simple, took over a year to get it so that it works properly with various platters. Not even Lego would improve on it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it had a loose tail or a shifted print. Odds have it you have a A-3, Xetron, or a CFS platter.

If you don't have a ring that Brad has invented, you can make a temporary fix. Take about 8 or ten old previews and wrap them inside out with masking tape so the sticky side is out. Then take an old hunk of preview and wrap at least one convolution around the print but don't tape it in any way. Let it loose. The reason being you don't want your newly made preview pucks with inside-out masking tape sticking to the tail of the feature.

This involves some work, but it pays off until you can order one of Brad's inventions. I addressed this temporary fix in another thread, so I'll drop it here.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-25-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I've been calling a rim job for a year.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing I do to help with the tails is to take some leader and cut it to just the right size to fit around the print and put a piece of velco to hold it together.

This will help keep the print circular. If you watch your feed platter you will see why your prints get lopsided. When the film sticks together for whatever reason the brain stops and then speeds up and the prints shifts some during acceleration. The wrap on the outside will not keep the print from shifting but it will keep it round.

Also, use the above device in conjuction with Stickapoos or Paul's trailer poos and it will be fine. They will fly off if the platter spins too fast.

Brad's device is a way better value than poos. Each one costing close to $20 and it takes about 6 or 7 to keep a print this big on the platter, if something went wrong.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: