Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Maintenance Schedules

Author Topic: Maintenance Schedules
Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

I took over the projection booth of a 10 screen theatre a couple of months ago and have been nursing it back to health with my tech. Ive been doing alot of maintenace already but was curious to see what kinda schedules you guys are using to keep things looking and running good. Ive been following alot of the tips my tech's been showing me and using the current schedules that where in place but i know there is more i can be doing. Most of the info im looking for is projector and lamphouse related being that i dont have the equipment to do most sound work.

Christie P35C Projectors
Christie Lamphouses

Thanks
Glenn

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please refer to my old thread "so you want shit-hot presentations"

There is a lot of info throughout the entire F.T. forums regarding Christie maintenance, the tools you should have in your booth, as well as most other questions you may have. Tomorow, if I have time, I'll type out what my actual booth maintenance schedule

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 12:28 PM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't run Christie heads but I have Christe SLC Lamphouses.

Every 6 months I oil the intake blower motor with 4 drops of light machine oil (sewing machine oil) in both oil holes.

At bulb change out make sure you clean the blower squirrel cage and the motor really well. I cover the tower decks, the sound rack and the head and blow the hell out of the lamphouse with a shop vac. Just be careful not to knock loose any wiring connections. Also hit the power supply and diode stack/fan really well too. After that, clean the reflector and install new bulb. Keep the top of your lamphouse clean as well, especially the intake grill.

Also, service (or have them professionally serviced) your exhaust fans at least every two years. The more frequently you clean and oil them the better they will perform, but exhaust fans are usually not easily excessible.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Glenn, here is what I promised...

First thing every morning print out your projection schedule. Make sure films are on the correct screens and that all formats (including DTS discs) are correct!

Sunday, detail projectors 1,2,3,4.

Monday, detail projectors 5,6,7,8.

Tuesday, detail projectors 9,10.

By detailing I mean: vacume or mop floor. Clean port window from inside the auditorium (if possible). Dust all projection equipment (platters, projectors, lamphouse and sound rack from top to bottom). Clean all platter decks w/light soap and water solution--rinse and dry!. Remove gate and shutter belt cover (clean, inspect, tighten hardware, clean all belt debris, inspect belt condition and adjustment, lube belt)...it would take me on average 20 minutes to really go over the P35GPS trap/gate assembly). An ultasonic cleaner would be nice...if you have the budget. Go over pay-out head with a fine tooth comb (like you did the gate). Clean all rollers and if necessary lube them with clear silicon based bicycle chain lubricant AND NOT lubraplate!

Tuesday closing technician: stock all booth supplies

Wednesday: R & R all trailers for films opening on Friday. Build up trailer packs for Thursdays new arrivals.

Thursday: Build-ups and tear downs. Move prints to new locations and adjust all formats. Redo your dry-erase boards

Friday: check sound levels in all auditoriums. Finish left-over stuff from Thursday. Empty trash. Double check all work from Thurs and Fri.

Sat: Have one of your projectionists watch every trailer pack in every auditorium to inspect EVERYTHING.

You should only need 3 projectionists to run a 10-plex. Depending on your schedule, you might have an opening and closing projectionist, with one having a day off. Also, it is wise to have all three working on Thurs-Sat because of the work load. (the third can act as a mid-shift technician)

each auditorium should be inspected twice a day (once per shift) inside the auditorium. (A log should be kept of picture quality, scratches, overshoots, shadows, sound, etc as a means of keeping track of potential problems).

Each machine should be checked at least 2 times per show for proper operation. Port windows, lenses, gates, pay-out heads and rollers should all be inspected and cleaned between shows and repaired as necessary.

Film-Guard needs to be used...we had six machines cleaning a different print each day with the pads being changed twice a week.

Upkeep of periodic scheduled maintenance.

Inspect bulbs for proper focusing at least once a week.

Keep your slide shows up to snuff

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will ,
Thank You .....Thats exactly what i was looking for. I was already doing alot of the maintenance listed. Theres a few things on there i wasnt doing and im goona start. But one of the things i mainly meant with this post was to see the frequency and maybe other little things people have created or are doing already that we might have not heard about. I still need to convince my boss that having every assistant manager running my booth when im not around. Hes big on everyone knowing how to work the projectors in case someone isnt around. Which i find highly unlikely but im gonna keep hacking away at him until i win. Im convinced the booth will run smoother when theres only three people running it instead of 12.

A big thanks for the schedule Will.....

Cheers
Glenn

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some basic maintenance and service schedules in EXCEL that might be of interest. These are some basic forms with time frames that can always be adjusted by those in the know depending on equipment and site requirements. I designed them initially as forms that would go in a three-ring binder, one per cinema and/or complex, to work as maintenance schedules and service logs for the cinema.

Brad, be glad to post them if you'd like... These were part of that PowerPoint presentation that I did for ITEA.

Pat

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 01:07 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,
If nothing else, I'd like you to email them to me at Broadway16@sc.rr.com

Thanks!

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Glenn Conatser
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 02:42 AM      Profile for Glenn Conatser   Email Glenn Conatser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat,

Id love to get a copy of the schedule.

penqwen@earthlink.net........

Cheers,
Glenn

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2002 07:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat, send 'em over as Excel attachments and I'll add them to this thread.
Here it is.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2002 09:52 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad...

Pat

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great!
Thank you very much for providing this for us.

Tony

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: