Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor Reels Suck! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Technicolor Reels Suck!
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 11:21 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever notice that everytime you pick up a Technicolor reel from a film can it falls apart on you? How can you remedy this? I must have had about ten broken reels last night when I was breaking down films.

|  IP: Logged

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 11:49 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. They either fall apart or they're cracked and the edges of the cracks either scratch you or the film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to do a search for "technicolor" here on the forum. Always good reading.

Here's one right off the bat. Click here!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 05:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said it once before...

Our method of rebellion has been to throw the damn things out. We bought a couple of metal split-reels from Golberg just for the purpose of handling those broken reels. If you can't get one of those, 'usurp' one good plastic split-reel from your next Technicolor can.

If we get a crappy reel, now, we just toss it. Logic is that if we do, they'll be out of circulation and new ones will have to be bought. If anybody complains, we'll just say that they were broken and if we kept them they'd damage film. (The truth!)

I suggest everybody toss out those crappy reels!

Besides, it's great therapy! You can get all of your agggressions out by busting them into little pieces!

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I commented on the last go-round on this matter,but here's my take...
If Technicolor actualy INSPECTED the film the way they should the reels would crap out on them like they do us.

Think I'm on to something?

--Chris

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 06:24 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the very same problem last night. I think I will be investing in some split reels. My Make-Up table uses a drive pin. Does anyone know if they make split reels for people with drive pins?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 06:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they really "inspect" the film in that sense. I think they open the cans, make sure all the reels are there, and then close'em up again. I'd be surprised if they did more than that.

Mike

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-21-2000 08:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The split-reel that we have at TT-17 has drive pin holes. Just make sure you put the drive pin into the hole on the back. Otherwise you'll spin the lid off!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2000 08:35 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think that the theatres should charge Technicolor for the Lost shows and wasted man hours because of their "service"
Print dosen't show up on time and you miss a show? Bill 'em
Spend an hour picking film up because the reel fell apart? Bill 'em

After a while of recieving and having to pay these bills maybe they'd improve their service. Technicolor has some great ideas... they just need to follow through.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-22-2000 03:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an ongoing problem. 2 weeks ago we discovered that we had about 8 broken Technicolor reels when we were building up our prints. We always toss and replace them. So I call up the lady at Technicolor and start bitching: "We had 10 reels break apart on us during build-up and the reels fell onto the floor and damaged the film and I was wondering if you could please send 10 empty breand new reels sent to my theatre?!"
TES lady says "Sorry about that, I'll notify the reel department and have them ship you 10 reels right away"

Nothing happens.

Last week, we had 5 more TES reels fall apart during buildup. I called the TES lady and bitched again "5 more reels have fallen apart due to their crappy design and we still haven't gotten the 10 from last week. Send me 15 now!" TES lady says "Sorry about that. Those reels should have shipped, I'm not sure why they haven't, I'll notify the reel department to send you 15 new empty reels."

Nothing happens

This week we have 5 more bust on us during buildup. I call the TES lady and say "Lemme speak to your supervisor!!!!!!" Supervisor lady comes on an I bitch "What the hell is goin' on with these crappy reels??? I am at my wits end because they keep falling apart. It is obvious that your depot does not care about the 'work' that they do. And the other 15 empty relacement reels that I have ordered over the past weeks STILL have not come in!!! What is the deal?" Supervisor lady: "Well, we're working on more flexible reels that don't break, as you may have heard. I don't know why your replacement reels haven't arrived. I'll contact the reel department and make sure they send out as many reels as possible to you. Me:"OK but what about 'Snow Falling on Cedars' which must be broken down tonight by 12:30? I don't have enough good reels to cover it. I guess I'll just have to break it down onto cores and hope that the next theatre that gets it tomorrow can assemble it from that form. If not, oh well, not my problem."

The supervisor lady gave me her extension in case the reels keep busting apart. I still have not gotten any replacement reels.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2000 04:55 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of "usurping" good reels, which brand or make do you prefer to acquire? When opening a new theatre, I like to get ahold of 3 good "20th Century Fox" reels. Although of similar design to other problem reels, I find that they are constructed of a more flexible plastic that is less prone to cracking and breaking. Also, some of them are a one piece design where the center core is actually molded with the reel flanges and thus not subject to splitting.

-Mike

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-22-2000 06:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard metal Goldberg shipping reels are nice to have around if you can find ones that aren't bent (which is difficult, I admit).

Of course, the best reels for general booth use are Goldberg house reels, which are pretty much impossible to bend under normal use.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-22-2000 06:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Speaking of "usurping" good reels, which brand or make do you prefer to
acquire?"<<

Personally, I prefer Goldberg's metal shipping reels. In the plastic department, I prefer Goldberg's again, their 5/16" core design wont tear up spindle keys the way other's do.

Again, I prefer metal shipping reels.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 11:32 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this back up top for our newbie Film-Techers.

Also see "The Royal Tenenbaums" in Features & Trailers. That post will come in handy regardless of when your theater opens that film.

Christopher Wehrman
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2001 12:51 PM      Profile for Christopher Wehrman   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Wehrman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question:
Is it possile to use the cores (that are in any brand of plastic "snap-togeather" reel) on a goldburg split reel?
I basicly would like to just exchange the flanges of the shipping reel with the split-reel when making-up and breaking-down prints. Our make-up table will not turn the plastic reels with the deeply recesed notch hole. When breaking down prints. What do you guys think?

------------------
Christopher Wehrman
Head Projectionist
Belle Starr Theater

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: