Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small screening room. LCR Speakers QSC SC-1120?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small screening room. LCR Speakers QSC SC-1120?

Hello friends,

I am considering speakers for a small screening room which is approx 5 x 4 meters. (16,4 ft x 13 ft)
    The screen will be around 2,8m (9 ft) wide. Seats are around 3m (10 ft) from the screen.
    Would a speaker such as QSC SC-1120 be a good option for this small room? (LCR screen channels)

My concern is that the horn tweeter may sound harsh or be unsuitable for such an intimate room?
    Has someone experience with installing these speakers in small rooms? Do they sound smooth or a bit harsh?
    Is there other speakers which you would recommend for a tiny screening room?

Thank you in advance.

JBL M2. One of the finest speakers ever made and definitely would not sound harsh.

I have not heard the SC-1120 to critique their ups/downs. The M2 I've heard and decided on them for myself.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion Steve. I am sure the M2 is a nice speaker. But too expensive for this project. I was thinking of a price point of $2500'-5000' for three screen speakers.
      I have heard the EAW CB150 in small room of similar size, and they sound nice. But they are discontinued from production.

Then there is also speakers like Tannoy 15 DMT II etc.

Comment

I installed SC-1120's in a small theater of about 40 seats in Ketchum, ID about 5 years ago and they were actually very nice speakers. The existing Peavey's started to fail at that location, and the customer never really liked them anyway. Did not require much EQ, and the dialog was very intelligible. They also were not at all harsh or metallic sounding like the Peaveys. I would recommend them...

QSC also is just releasing the SC-1150, so you may want to check it out too.

Comment

Ive used sc-1150's and they are good for small rooms in my opinion.

Comment

Hello colleagues, thank you very much for your thoughts. One thing bothers me about specs on speakers. Both from the 1980:s and more recent. What is the value in specifying a frequency range with +-10db?
            In reality these values at the top and bottom end can no longer be heard even with good hearing... To me, this seems like an attempt/sales pitch to make something more capable that what it in reality is.
            Any thoughts on these measurement specs? What frequency response should a small, professional screening room have in your oppinion? When running digital (DCP playback)? When running 35mm with Mono, DolbyA/SR-D/DTS only?

Comment

Working...
            X