No announcement yet.

LED lights on a dimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LEDs in the stairway lighting at Mercyhurst were connected in alternating fashion.

When I first started there, they had those plastic tubes with "grain of wheat" lamps inside them attached to each step.
    From the day I first walked into the place, I told the boss that those lights weren't safe and that somebody was going to fall down and get hurt in the dark. Of course, my request was roundly ignored until some old lady fell and twisted her ankle. It happened on a Saturday night and my boss was asking me to get quotes for installing the correct lighting, on Monday.

Anyhow... I got quotes for the DC version power supply so that the lights would be dimmable but, of course, they overrode me and got the AC version power supply.

Yes, every time I walked up or down those stairs, I could see them flicker out of the corner of my eye!

Bugged the crap out of me!

I did record them with a video camera and that's how I discovered that they were wired in opposing series-parallel sets.

So... Yes... I know that "good" Christmas tree lights (or other kinds of LED lights) can use a cheaper AC version of power supply or the better DC version. But, I assumed that you were talking about AC because you mentioned about the flicker.

That's why I replied the way I replied.

Comment

Time to drag this topic bak into the light of day again! I recently moved into a larger ( and horribly more expensive) apartment in my building. There were a couple of lighting fixtures that I wanted to put dimmers on, and I've discovered some cheap LED bulbs that are 100% indistinguishable from incancescants when put on a dimmer.

They go from full 'off' off to full 'on' with absolutely NO sudden turn-on or turn-off point when used with the standard LUTRON residential dimmer switches you find in Home Depot, & elsewhere. They even work without flickering on the bare-bones dimmer circuit in a cheap table lamp I have. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how they accomplished this, even hooking them up to an ammeter & o-scope to analyze current flow, and I think I've figured out that the "trick" is that the bulb globes are coated with very slow responding phosphors. So, although there are actually "on" & "off" trigger points as in regular LED bulbs, you never see them because the phosphors take probably 500ms or more to respond. So the effect is a gentle "ramp-up" of brightness when you turn them on, and a slow decay to dark when you approach full the full dim setting.

I'm not even sure where I originally got these. Most likely I picked them up as spares while shopping in Chinatown a couple of years ago. I wanted to buy a few more when I realized their dimming properties, and they are tricky to find online unless you want to buy them in wholesale quantities. However a friend in construction was able to pick up a ½dozen for me at a local contractor's lighting supply house here in the Bay Area. I think they're only made in this one size, so I don't think you'll really find any auditorium applications for them- - but if you are looking for an LED bulb with 100% incandescent emulation on a dimmer for home, hallways, projection booths & control rooms, etc, these might be worth tracking down. A neighbor saw mine & was amazed enough by their dimming properties to track a couple down for his TV room. He luv's 'em too!

They are KAILIN - KLL760P-9
      Standard USA E-27 / A-19 configuration
      120V/60hz / 9watts / 805 Lumens / 2700°K

KailinBoxAndBulb.jpg

>Decoding the phone number on the back of the box
      appears to place the factory in Dongguan, China
      > A Chinese buddy tells me that KAILIN is probably
      a westernized version of "kai lin", a Chinese name
      which, roughly translated means "pure"
      Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 06-11-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

One of the problems we've found is that even buying the same manufacturer and model of lamp (same part number) can get you an entirely different lamp with completely different dimming (or lack thereof) properties. Hopefully, Kailin will continue to supply the same lamp for you and your needs.

We are now recommending, for cinemas, the Eprad lamps/dimmers since they make both A19 and PAR38 lamps and they make a retrofit module for existing dimmers to work with their lamps. So far, no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
          One of the problems we've found is that even buying the same manufacturer and model of lamp (same part number) can get you an entirely different lamp with completely different dimming (or lack thereof) properties. Hopefully, Kailin will continue to supply the same lamp for you and your needs.

We are now recommending, for cinemas, the Eprad lamps/dimmers since they make both A19 and PAR38 lamps and they make a retrofit module for existing dimmers to work with their lamps. So far, no complaints.
          But do they work with any other brands of lamps? I certainly would not want to be stuck with a lot of pieces of equipment that can't work with others. No complaints about the Eprad dimmers, but the Kelmar dimmer will work with about 8 different types of commonly available LED lamps. In fact I always found CREE to be the most consistent and they can be bought in several temperatures and at a zillion places.

Comment

No, the Eprad system is proprietary. Their LED driver module only works with LED lamps and vice-versa. They are using low-voltage DC to the lamps but us existing wiring infrastructure. As for Kelmar's dimmer working with a lot of lamps...they can. We have traditionally speced only Kelmar dimmers but the lamp consistency in the field, even getting the same make/model lamp was horrible. Maybe Cree has held their manufacturing/supply to be consistent. I have not had issues with Cree, in general (or Fiet) but forget brands like TCP. They are supplying whatever is cheap from China that month. They may work, they may not.

At least with the Eprad system, you have something that is going to work from batch to batch and lamp to lamp and it will dim like an incandescent rather than like an LED, in terms of its dimming curve. Most LEDs compress their light output to the bottom 30% of their range. One nice thing about the Eprad dimmer is that you can set the level and fade rate numerically rather than with a trimmer so it is very repeatable.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 10.16.22 AM.png
            Last edited by Steve Guttag; 06-12-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

It's funny how they coined "chip scale package" when all it really is is SMT.

Comment

CSPs are within the SMT family. SMT merely denotes the method of attachment. CSP denotes the size and how it relates to its die. You can have many different packages within SMT but they would not be CSP.

Comment

A "traditional" SMD LED uses internal gold wires to connect the surface connectors to the LED, a CSP LED eliminates the internal wiring and the LED substrates are mounted directly on the underlying PCB surface.

CSP LEDs should have better heat-conductivity and the lack of internal wiring should make them more robust and increase the light-emitting surface compared to an SMD package...

I don't know why they choose the confusing naming, as both the SMD and CSP packages are both "Surface Mount Devices"...

Comment

Working...
                  X