Barco SP4K (continued from old forum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco SP4K (continued from old forum)

Did another SP4K/ICMP-X install yesterday, and got another instance of error C10999 ("IMB configuration error" when switching from HDMI to server playback) during the setup and testing. This projector arrived with 1.1.5 already installed. I flashed it again, and the error didn't repeat during multiple switchovers afterwards. I'm still waiting for feedback from the customer of the projector I installed last month that gave this error as to whether a reflash fixed the problem, per Cinionic's advice, but it looks it did in this case.

1.1.6 has just been released, which is claimed to fix the above mentioned bug. Reflashing 1.1.5 didn't (all my customers who reflashed reported that the error eventually repeated) - apparently the bug was in 1.4.2.6 of the Alchemy software, and was fixed in 1.4.2.7. The only difference between 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 of the SP4K bundle is that it incorporates the newer Alchemy package.

EDIT - just been called by Cinionic. Apparently, 1.1.6 has other bugs and was put on myBarco in error. Cinionic advise that this should not be installed, and that a further update will be along shortly.
    Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 02-06-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Received an alert from Barco that 1.1.6 was available, email at 01:00 EST today. Has this been recalled?

Comment

I got that automated email, too. I have a customer who has been anxious for it to arrive, because the C10999 bug has been making it impossible to switch from HDMI to DCP playback using commands from a Crestron touch panel. So I emailed them to let them know that the update was now available, and that I could install it remotely whenever they liked. I CC-ed that email to the Cinionic tech who had been working the case with us, who replied within minutes advising me not to install it, because it introduces other bugs (he mentioned digital snow and color space glitches with HDMI in some circumstances, and HD-SDI input stopping working completely in others). Apparently it shouldn't have gone up on myBarco at all, and we should wait for a further package to be released.

As of now, it's still on myBarco:

SP4K_screenshot.PNG
        However, myBarco appears to be having a bad day on more than one score. Note that it says that the SP4K-12C is only available in China: I've installed three of them here in California since December!

Comment

Note that it says that the SP4K-12C is only available in China: I've installed three of them here in California since December!
          : it goes under the name SP4K-12 outside of China (https://www.barco.com/nl/product/sp4k-12); the Chinese marketing team preferred to keep the C (https://www.barco.com/nl/product/sp4k-12c)

They're both exactly the same product; the "C" does not stand for "China"... just marketing logic :-)

Comment

I assumed that the C was to indicate that the projector has the same footprint as the Series 2 "C" projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
              I assumed that the C was to indicate that the projector has the same footprint as the Series 2 "C" projectors.
              That is correct. Also same chip size (0.98"), same lens models,...

Comment

Leo - thes HDMI bugs in the latest SP4K release, is it actually caused by the latest ICMP(-X) software release potentially contained in that package (v1.4.2.7)? Did Barco comment on that? Because ICMP/-X v1.4.2.7 is still up on MyBarco as well. Or is it only tied to the SP4K/ICMP-X combo?

- Carsten
                Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 02-12-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

1.4.2.6 and 1.4.2.7 of the Alchemy software is where the bugs are. The projector part of the 1.1.6 SP4K package is likely OK.

But yeah, these problems and glitches have all been Alchemy-related. Of the SP4Ks we've put into multiplexes that only play DCPs, the installs were trouble-free and the customers are very happy. The issues have all been with projectors that have to play DCPs and HDMI interchangeably, and especially where that process has to be automated from an external device over IP (e.g. Crestron).

The current state of play is that if you don't need to play HDMI at a higher resolution than 1080p, I have found the SP4K package 1.0.11 (which incorporates Alchemy 1.4.2.2) to be OK. However, if you try to play UHD or 4K HDMI, digital snow (looks a bit like Cinelink snow) can appear in the bottom half of the image. If you do need to play UHD or 4K HDMI, 1.1.5 seems to work, but you'll sometimes get error C10999 ("Media player is not ready" or some such wording) when switching from HDMI to DCP playback modes. This can be cleared by going back to HDMI and then back to DCP, which is no problem in a booth with an operator to do that, but is a very big problem if it has to be done from a touch screen or automation cues in a playlist. Cinionic told me that 1.1.6 should not be installed, because serious bugs have been reported in the Alchemy 1.4.2.7 component. Whether these bugs affect Alchemies not installed in SP4Ks or not, I don't know. It may be, I guess, that these bugs are specific to Alchemies in SP4Ks, hence 1.4.2.7 still being available as a standalone download for Alchemies in Series 2 projectors.

I did install 1.4.2.7 in a DP4K-30L a couple of weeks ago, in a university lecture theater that is doing both DCP and HDMI. I didn't encounter any problems or errors when installing and testing, and the end user hasn't reported any problems to me since then.

Comment

"error C10999" and "issues with HDMI switching" were identified in ICMP v1.4.2.6 (which is part of S4 package 1.1.5). They were resolved in v1.4.2.7 (part of S4 package 1.1.6); which is the officially released package since last week.

I cannot speak for the person in Cinionic that made the below statement on 1.1.6:
                    Apparently, 1.1.6 has other bugs and was put on myBarco in error. Cinionic advise that this should not be installed

Comment

I don't feel comfortable naming the individual on a public website, but if you'd like more info on the support case involved, feel free to contact me privately.

Comment

Peter Montoulieu wrote on the old forum:
                        I require a PICTURE Masking file masked to 1,692 pixels by 3840. I save the file to a unique name. Everything is masked perfect, but when I call the macro with the Picture file I just saved, all the masking disappears.
                        Does anyone know if there's a been a fix for this by any chance? We have exactly this problem too, and it affects DCI content as well as the HDMI.

Comment

Working...
                        X