Barco new product ~~S4-lite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco new product ~~S4-lite

Barco launched its S4-Lite (SP2K-7S/9S/11S) in China last week. Laser&Phosphor models,2K 0.69" chips... ....Does anybody have any more information in other country or region?
    Attached Files
    Starts
    10-19-2020
    Ends
    10-19-2020

Just learned by a phone information, that they're collecting orders for the last batch of 6E/ 8E/ 10E 0.69" units, and then discontinue them. From 2021 a new product line will be available in Europe.
    The one you mention.

Comment

I think we only had the 6E here. I believe the issue on the "E" series is that the EU will no longer allow NEW product to use the lamps in the "E" series so Barco (and others, I'm sure) will need have a non-HMI low-lumen solution.

Comment

From the image Elinor posted, it looks like this E-series replacement will use the SP4K chassis. If so, the form factor could be a problem for some of the applications that these lower power, shorter throw projectors are typically used for, in which they are typically built into pods or mounted on shelves: high end home theaters, post-production suites, and so on. We've had to rebuild a couple of pods to house SP4Ks when installing them to replace small 2K machines (e.g. NEC IS8-2K).

Comment

Cinionic just announced a Webinar on the new projectors and it is tied to CineAsia. Register up, if you are interested.

Comment

thank you all for your reply.
            I saw one model of SP2K series has passed the DCI test, named SP2K-15S.
            According to Barco, this series has extremely low power consumption(<900W) and noise values(<40dB),you can infer that this series is designed for the cinema without machine room but I'm not sure if it has the same size as the SP4k,maybe even smaller,I can't tell from the picture.
            According to unreliable sources,this series does not use ALPD's Laph light source,but comes from Norway.Is there any laser light source manufacturer in Norway?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Elinor Chang; 10-20-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Barco acquired the Norwegian company Projectiondesign a few years back. They build many of the "mid-sized" Barco projectors often used in venues and stuff like indoor projection mapping, simulators, etc. It would make sense if they used a light engine built for those projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                Cinionic just announced a Webinar on the new projectors and it is tied to CineAsia. Register up, if you are interested.
                Where does one "Register Up" for such an event? I took a quick look on the Cinionic website but it didn't just off the page at me.

Comment

It's true, European bueraucrats do not allow mercury lamps in the future. But there is an exempt, the use for projection purposes is still allowed, according to the legislation I have been given.
                  But in general, this means mercury super pressure is an outdated source for the mid future. From their S2k series sold in the EU, only 6E used mercury, the larger ones were standard Xenon. Another potentially unsafe technology, as they can explode.
                  To me, Xenon is still the superior light source, as closest to sunlight. It may be that from a laboratory measurement, white point and color endpoints are so much more precise on 3p/6p lasers, than anything else. In real life semiconductor light sources with their super narrow bands are perfect, our human vision isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Routenburg View Post

Where does one "Register Up" for such an event? I took a quick look on the Cinionic website but it didn't just off the page at me.
                    You can sign up for their newsletter. It should be in there. I am with Stefan on prefering Xenon. The laser shows I have been to all had some amount of speckle.

Comment

To my eyes, Xenon light on projection still looks the best. RGB laser may have a wider potential range and a higher potential contrast but the color seems to be different for every viewer of it. I tend to see RGB laser as looking a bit red. Others, looking at the SAME PICTURE have said too green. The laser phosphor solutions, particularly the double blue laser with the yellow phosphor wheels have to wink-n-nudge to claim the full color spectrum. I'm not saying that the LP light is bad or any patron will notice any issues (when they return to cinemas in bulk), but LP is not the best light, for sure.

Comment

Steve, Have you seen the new Christie small RGB lasers yet?

Comment

The only laser machine that I've spent any amount of time working with is a Christie CP-2320. I'm not thrilled with the color, either, although it has the advantage of zero flicker. I am colorblind (red/green, mostly) and it still looks wrong to me. It's a nice machine, otherwise, though.

What are the labs using for color timing now? Laser or xenon machines? That may make a difference as well.

Comment

Sean, just the CP4325 and CP4330. Cost wise, the SP4K stuff from Barco is tough to beat and from a service standpoint, Barco tends to lay their stuff out better.

Comment

I would also likevto know what is being used for color timing in.the labs now a days. I know a colorist out Hollywood way and will ask.him about it...

Comment

Working...
                              X