Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Y2k24 BUG! MAJOR DIGITAL OUTAGE TODAY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
    We've still got several hours to go here before the theater opens its' doors, if they do
    decide to open today, but right now, we're still down.
    How many screens do you have and which movies have actually been affected so that you had to close the entire house?

Comment

I'm sure Jim will be along any time but all 5 screens are Sony.
      Last edited by Sam Chavez; 01-01-2024, 04:16 PM.

Comment

A Elia has confirmed, this now has been traced back to be CPL, not KDM related. As the fix is to issue new CPLs, also new KDMs have to be created, that's a must for new CPLs, but the KDMs themselves are not the problem. I checked the earlier MPS KDMs for Wonka, and they all use signing certs valid long into the future, but as KDMs usually have a timespan of only a few weeks or months, that's not an issue anyway.
        The trouble is - CPLs may be stored with an archived DCP at the cinema, and the cert with the Dec 30, 2023 expiration is baked into it. So, we exhibitors may come across non-working CPLs/DCPs in coming months or even years. Deluxe (and who else?) may have used this cert for the last 10 years or so.

I guess exhibitors now have to check their whole repertoire to find out which DCPs are affected. Well, I guess, they will outsource that job to Deluxe who will be too happy to perform this chore.

Comment

It also might trigger some software development: it would be nice if the servers could flag this issue in the future. I am not blaming the servers here, as you clearly pointed out this is a content issue. Just saying that maybe it could be something to be added for a future release

(alternatively, let's just remove the check! )

Comment

Also effects Atmos playback where a separate key is used by the Atmos processor such as when using a Barco ICMP. Movie plays fine but Atmos sound is disabled. Movie in this case is Ferrari. Dolby is working on it with much the same solution. New KDM and version file.

Comment

Does this mean Deluxe has to create a new CPL for any movie packaged before yesterday? Like maybe a movie that was in theaters a few months ago, but has now been nominated for an award, so goes back into theaters again? Or a theater wants to play a classic movie? What is the lifetime on the new certificates? Will we see this again in 10 years? Film prints seem to have a longer life.

Comment

Yes. Not sure wether all Deluxe DCPs created in the last 12 years used the same certificate. But If so, at least all SMPTE DCPs of the last 2 years or so that came from them are hit. It's easy to find out though, you just need to find a pattern in the certificate chain that is part of the CPLs. Also I guess that Deluxe has statistics about the usage of this cert.

Comment

Is there any online tool or free software where we can quickly check the CPLs signature validity ? Start and end date?

Comment

So, if it is CPL related...why does it affect some server make/models and not others? Do some servers check the CPL certificate and not others?

Comment

Originally posted by Mete Tunca View Post
                      Is there any online tool or free software where we can quickly check the CPLs signature validity ? Start and end date?
                      If you have the certificate in Base64 format, you should be able to run it through any tool that supports X.509, that includes openssl and a bunch of websites that offer "certificate analysis.​

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
                      So, if it is CPL related...why does it affect some server make/models and not others? Do some servers check the CPL certificate and not others?
                      That seems to be the case...

It's an edge case that probably didn't make the DCI certification checklist.

I guess it's a bit far fetched to even check if the issuer's certificate is still valid, but I guess there are reasons for this to be in the specs somewhere. It seems just to be omitted by the likes of Doremi/Dolby and Barco...
                      Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 01-02-2024, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                        <edited> Does this mean Deluxe has to create a new
                        CPL for any movie packaged before yesterday? Like maybe a movie that was
                        in theaters a few months ago, but has now been nominated for an award, so
                        goes back into theaters again? Or a theater wants to play a classic movie?
                        Well, we had two legacy titles from DeLuxe that we weren't able to play this weekend. One was
                        "When Harry Met Sally" (1989) which was on a DCP with a creation date of January 2023. The
                        other one was the Woodstock documentary "Burn It Down" (2021) which was on a combo drive
                        that was created in early December 2023. (Harry/Sally came by satellite)

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post

How many screens do you have and which movies have actually been affected so that you had
                          to close the entire house?
                          Five screens. The main titles affected were: American Fiction, Ferrari , When Harry Met Sally,
                          Burn It Down- The Boy & Heron, (both dubbed & subtitled versions)
                          ​ and a couple of others.

We were also running, a show of French stop-motion animated shorts, and that is the only show
                          that we actually ran Sunday because they had already started seating people and I knew, from
                          testing, that it would play. I think one of the reasons the company HQ shut us down is that the
                          venue is one of those places where you can order food from your seat.

It was a holiday weekend, and we were expecting it to be busy, so they had brought in some
                          extra staff, to handle the expected load. As soon as it became obvious that this was a problem
                          that was not going to be fixed in an hour or two, they stopped all ticket sales, and about 10min
                          later we got the word to shut down. (although we let the animation show go on, since by that
                          time it had already started) While we did have a couple of titles that didn't seem to be affected
                          (POOR THINGS, & THE IRON CLAW, for example), I'm guessing that somebody at the top
                          made the decision that it just wouldn't be financially viable to operate only one or two
                          auditoriums, so midway through the shorts-show, they shut down the kitchen and began
                          to send everyone home. Also, (and again, I"m semi-speculating) at that point, early Sunday
                          morning, nobody knew exactly what the problem was, so shutting things down would make it
                          easier to troubleshoot or work on the system if it turned out we had to update software or even
                          wind up having to possibly re-ingest EVERYTHING, (which was discussed early on)
                          So they just shut down, and sent everyone home. (except me! lol)

The house system consists of a SONY TMS, Sony XCT-S10 servers and 6 Sony SRX-151P
                          projectors (we run dual projectors for both 2D & 3D in the largest auditorium)
                          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 01-02-2024, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Oh wow. Getting, sorting and ingesting new VFs and KDMs for all those repertoire titles will be quite a bit of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                              Oh wow. Getting, sorting and ingesting new VFs and KDMs for all those repertoire titles will be quite a bit of work.
                              Exactly what I've been thinking. I'll bet that Deluxe had to send out thousands of VFs and new KDM's
                              over the weekend, since this was a world-wide problem, and since we play a lot of rep stuff, I'm going
                              to be quite nervous till they figure this all out, Fortunately, we get many rep ttitles come from obscure
                              distributors and they're unencrypted, and, thankfully, we play a fair number of them on 35 or 70mm
                              - - so there's a very thin sliver lining on that cloud.

Comment

UPDATE: I just got this from DeLuxe:
                                "Thank you for your patience as we navigate this issue. All new content wil be mastered Cipher 2,
                                and this cert should be good for many years. As for the reperatory, this is a work in progress.
                                Please continue to reach out with any titles that you have concerns with. We will need the title and
                                version you plan on playing."​

Just FYI, this apparently affects all the LORD OF THE RINGS and HARRY POTTER legacy DCP's
                                (as I just found out from someone who tried to play one of these)
                                - - and it also affects ALL OF US STRANGERS, which has had some limited release, but I believe is
                                supposed to go into wider distribution this week or next. (and I'm sure this list will keep growing)

(and I love how Deluxe say Cipher 2 certificate "should" be good for many years,I guess well find out.)

Comment

Working...
                                X