Christmas With The Chosen and DSS200/CAT862 servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas With The Chosen and DSS200/CAT862 servers

Has anyone else found image issue with some Dolby DSS200/CAt862 servers running Christmas with the Chosen? There are scenes (I believe they were added) that the server can not render well and look poor. I believe we've seen this with other content in recent memory.

Again those color edging isues? ISDCF dealt with this during their recent meetings. It was strange that at the time Dolby and the mastering companies were not able to resolve the issue. Don't know wether they have now.

What they said was that a specific J2K decoder chip was involved.

I assume that ' Christmas With The Chosen' is a 4k DCP?

Comment

Members of ISDCF are doing extensive work on this. The encoding is valid, but some decoders have issues with it.

According to draft notes from the last meeting (not yet posted), the issue occurs in about 7.5% of 4k content. One of the issues is described at https://github.com/SMPTE/rdd52/issues/8 . This is one of apparently three issues:

1. ‘0xffff’ Issue
      2. ‘Unbalanced Image’ Issue– Under Investigation
      3. ‘GreenFlash’ Issue– Under Investigation

From the ISDCF notes:

Q: How does an exhibitor report an issue?
      A: If a problem is detected, please report to the studio. They would bring in the appropriate mastering/equipment manufacturers as needed.

Comment

An issue here is that the DSS line is EOL,and semi-EOS (Dolby's excellent tech support guys will still help you with them, but non-generic parts and recertification service are no longer available). So they're not going to want to develop media block firmware updates for the cat862, and therefore going forward, the remaining users of them are likely to be dependent on studios rendering and issuing specific bug fix versions of DCPs.

Comment

It is a 4K movie.

I have not seen the image. It was just described as appearing as very low quality.

Comment

Maybe the reason that this occurs more often now is that we simply get more 4k content now. ISDCF reported that the issue is not new, but only very rarely caused a stir in previous years.

Comment

I wonder if it's 4K specifically, or the higher bitrate that tends to come with 4K DCPs. A decade ago, a feature DCP rarely exceeded 150 GB, and most were in the ballpark of 100. Now, 250-350 GB is commonplace.

Comment

From what I'm hearing from ISDCF, it is not a bit rate issue. There are three potential issues discussed in my post above.

Comment

Working...
                X