The Creator - 2.76:1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Creator - 2.76:1

Looks as if at least in Germany, 'The Creator' DCP comes marked as plain scope, but is in fact 2.76:1

- Carsten

I heard similar complaints around here... Presented in Fake UltraPanavision...

Imagine how great this must look on an unmasked flat-shaped screen. I remember seeing the Hateful Eight in strip-o-vision... very cinematic...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
      I remember seeing the Hateful Eight in strip-o-vision... very cinematic...
      Déjà Vu !

UltraPanvsn70.jpg
      (2015 Screenshot @ AMC/Sundance/Carmike Kubuki- San Francisco)

Comment

Is it F276 or C276 or S276

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
          That's from the 2:76:1 70mm run. Master-aperture-filer Sam Chavez made sure we had every inch
          of image, and we even mucked around with the masking hardware to get it to open bigger for this
          show. Here's a picture of the screen from the auditorium. The picture in the previous post was
          taken from the booth. (The silhouette of the fire sprinkler in that pic was only visible from the booth
          )

Hateful8_Scrn.jpg
          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 09-27-2023, 12:27 PM. Reason: I Forgot Why

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon McLeod View Post
            S-276.

​​​​​C-276 would be pretty much the same

Comment

I find this extremely annoying. Why do filmakers do this ? Don't they realize their film will look "wrong" in most theaters ?
              I play it in scope as labeled and it fits the width of the screen prefectly but we've got black bars top and bottom.
              It just looks bad !! (and there is nothing I can do about it.)

Comment

You should fight back: Zoom the image so it hit's top and bottom, and lose something on the sides.

Clearly, these film makers using non-standard ratios have the large unmasked multiplex screens in mind when making that decision. There, any aspect ratio will just float on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                  You should fight back: Zoom the image so it hit's top and bottom, and lose something on the sides.
                  Today, at a certain location, I did exactly that. I'm sick and tired of this kind of b.s. Nobody complained and it didn't look like anything was cut-off, yet the entire exposed screen was filled with picture...

Message to film makers: We have a set of commonly supported aspect ratio, try to make a movie that fits in them for $#@$ sake. No, your story isn't too great to fit inside one of those. Most movies that are considered to be among the best, have made it so far, without needing a custom aspect ratio...

You'd expect film makers to have some knowledge and passion for what they're doing. Unfortunately, a lot of them clearly haven't got a clue about the exhibition industry and how their movies are going to be presented... maybe that also explains the lack of quality in most recent films, including this one... what an abysmal formulaic story...

Comment

I remember seeing the Hateful Eight in strip-o-vision... very cinematic...
                    Originally posted by Jim Cassedy View Post
                    Déjà Vu !
                    You know that this directly translates to "Already seen", right?

As for the role of the creators and their interest on exhibition, it might be that they target solely on a very specific format, and if that format is dead for many decades... even worse for the format.
                    I still try to fit the idea of IMAX 1.43:1 translating into 2.2:1 on DCP.

It is true, that the age when a gigantic title would introduce a new aspect ratio, audio (or even screening technology) and the venues would invest on it to sell tickets is gone.
                    I would be happy to see it coming back, but I wouldn't bet on "The Creator" to be that gigantic title.

Comment

Today, at a certain location, I did exactly that. I'm sick and tired of this kind of b.s. Nobody complained and it didn't look like anything was cut-off, yet the entire exposed screen was filled with picture...

Message to film makers: We have a set of commonly supported aspect ratio, try to make a movie that fits in them for $#@$ sake. No, your story isn't too great to fit inside one of those. Most movies that are considered to be among the best, have made it so far, without needing a custom aspect ratio...
                      Years ago I saw Martin Scorsese's personal 35mm print of Ben-Hur. It was a rock solid standard scope extraction from the 2.76:1 intended ration. Turns out that it STILL stood tall. Most of these modern moves are composed for eventual 1.78:1 presentations on television and in airplanes anyways. This one will be no different.

For the record, I skipped seeing it on one of our scope screens at our theater due to outstanding sound issues. Instead.....I saw the ultra wide The Creator on a curtain-less Flat screen. Oh well.

Comment

Again this is a legacy ratio so I see no reason that it isnt valid still. In the history of the industry there has always been in a effort to gather audience based different picture formats.

Comment

It is a limited use legacy ratio. When it was in use, it was in theatres specifically set up for it. For conventional theatres, standard scope prints were available. Continue that to this day. If they want to release an S-276...fine...just release a standard S version too for the rest of the cinemas (you know, the 99.99% club).

Comment

Working...
                          X