No announcement yet.

Barco 32B Error 5020 Read Projector ID Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting - I've swapped out dozens of Barco Series 2 backplanes (once these projectors get to 7-8 years, it's a case of when, not if), and if it's just the backplane I'm replacing (i.e. not any other components with firmware in them along with it), I haven't reflashed anything afterwards, and it's worked fine.

One rookie mistake I once made was to replace a backplane, forgetting to move the SIM card from the old to the new. Very thankfully, I saw the error and acted on it before the NFG backplane went in the trash, but having to disassemble half the card cage again to get at the SIM holder was a bummer.

Comment

Like Leo, merely changing a backplane and moving the SIM over has never resulted in needing to rerun an update. However, if ANY CARD is swapped (or a light engine), it is advisable if not required to re-run the update. This includes, and particularly, an ICP, which only knows what it is in once it talks to its surroundings. Part of the update, even if on the same version, will configure the ICP to work with the light engine it is working with (2K/4K...etc.)

Comment

On a Barco, I've found that if the ICP is moved between projectors with the same LE model and the same software/firmware bundle, then, after restoring the data files from a clone, it'll work. Not the case with Series 2 NECs, though. There have been several times now that we've sold replacement ICPs for installation in early Series 2 NECs in which the certificate battery died (for some reason, this seems to be happening a lot more in early Series 2 NECs than in their equivalent Barcos), only to receive a panic call or email from the person installing it (usually the end user attempting it him- or herself, but sometimes a tech) to the effect that they have a crap ton of error messages, even after clearing the tamper. I've now even done a cheat sheet walking them through the serial number maintenance step, the "full auto update," and then restoring a backup, and have to deploy it three or four times a year, and rising.

Comment

I’ve changed Barco backplanes before that worked without touching the software. I always do it though in the end for good practice plus it’s a good way to make sure you’re running the most up to date version.

I went up today and disconnected everything from the backplane except power, fcb, and ccb. Booted it up and still have the 5020 error. Tried a working fcb out of the other Barco and no difference. I even took the cinema controller from the other Barco and put it in the machine. The known working ccb still can’t read the sim and believes it’s in a 20C.

No matter what I do and what I have connected or disconnected I cannot get the keypad to see the Dallas key. I even tried the on-site marriage in communicator thinking maybe the keypad was just not changing color when the Dallas key was applied and that it could actually see it, but no. Plus the imb won’t boot properly to save its life. It’s obviously in some form of zombie mode. You cannot vnc into it at all, but when you go in the Web UI you get the GDC screen of system starting up but it will sit there until the cows come home. I believe there is some horrible communication issue inside of this thing that I need to dig deep to find. Might snag an oscope and go back up soon.

If I haven’t pulled all my hair out by the time I finally get this thing figured out I’ll be pretty proud.

Comment

Have you attempted to swap each board over to the good Barco from the bad Barco, one board at a time, in order to rule all those boards out as the culprit? Starting with the IMB, then ICP, then CCB, then SMPS, lastly the FCB. If all of those boards function correctly on the good Barco, then at least you can check off which of the boards are functioning properly on the other good Barco.

I once had an IMB failure notification on a Barco that didn't clear up with a swapped IMB. Barco then suggested that I swap the CCB board, no go. Then I swapped the ICP board, still no go. The issue ended up being caused by a bad SMPS, even though the notifications all pointed toward the IMB.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."​ -- Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Since you say you've changed the signal backplane and just have the CCB, FCB in and it still can't tell who it is. I'm now down to thinking about the power supplies (and, by the way, have you unplugged the cables to the signal backplane? You don't want any devices chattering on it.

I'd measure to ensure your 208 is real phase-to-phase (200-240) and swap SMPS, in case its power is bad.

Comment

Steve and Rick,

im heading up there now. I believe that’s about the only option I’m down to as well. Will report back.

Comment

Working...
                X