No announcement yet.

Playlist Software for Drive-In Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mpv solution for Linux is totally free. Needs a bit of figuring stuff out though... It's not a click-and-run setup, but what do you expect from a special situation?
    Also: MPC-HC is still available and supports "dual screen" operations, although with some nagging bugs.

Comment

I don't run Linux.

Comment

MPC-HC is easier to configure than VLC. We used it a lot some time ago before we went DCI. I know one Drive-In close by using it for their huge LED screen.

I don't think there are many video players with playlist functionality available for the Mac, there are much more for windows. Playback pro is used a lot for professional applications, but, it may be too expensive for you.

But, VLC, once properly configured, should be okay. I use it occasionally for small festivals on my Mac.

Comment

Carsten, thank you.

I can run on Windows if needed... and also looking for free software.

As for VLC, could you send screenshots of the specific settings you have set? I was having some problems...

EDIT: Most likely using VLC, unless anyone has other suggestions for MAC. If you have any suggestions on how to run the show on VLC, please comment.
          Last edited by Jake Sinn; 05-20-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

There are MacOS X builds for "mpv", but since you're probably looking for a "point & click" solution that's free, you should focus on VLC.

For Mac, I'm really a fan of PlaybackPro, the product Jim mentioned earlier, but yeah, it will set you back a few bucks, though it comes with a free trial... I'd wish they would come out with a version for Windows or Linux too, it would simplify the deployment of their product.

Comment

I tried to download the free trial of PlaybackPro on my Mac but when I try to open it it says that the developer needs to update it...

EDIT: Just saw that it's not compatible with Catalina OSX. Could I run it in VirtualBox?

EDIT 2: Seems like VirtualBox isn't working for me... so nevermind.
              Last edited by Jake Sinn; 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Does anyone have suggestions as to how to set up a playlist in VLC?

EDIT: We are looking to start MONDAY, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
                Last edited by Jake Sinn; 05-21-2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Jake, this is a cinema projectionist forum.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=vlc+playlist

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=VLC+playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Sinn View Post
                    I tried to download the free trial of PlaybackPro on my Mac but when I try to open it it says that the developer needs to update it...

EDIT: Just saw that it's not compatible with Catalina OSX. Could I run it in VirtualBox?

EDIT 2: Seems like VirtualBox isn't working for me... so nevermind.
                    There is a 64-bit Beta which you can request here.
                    There's quite a lot of stuff that doesn't run on Catalina yet, as they killed 32-bit support in that release. I've got a Mac that I keep back on "Mojave" for exactly that reason.

Running something like this in a VM isn't something I would advice anybody to do. The reasons why are a bit out of the scope of this forum.

Also, like Carsten pointed out, there are quite a few tutorials, one click away, of how to create a playlist in VLC. Hint: There is a "Toggle Playlist" button in VLC.

Comment

I know how to make a playlist. Guess I worded it wrong .

Since I would be connecting my laptop to the projector via HDMI, is it fine to connect it directly, or should I hook up a monitor to my computer as well?

Edit: And from what this thread was originally started, we are no longer using the DVD Player. I have a program on my Mac that I can get movies for free and download as an MP4 file. Then I am putting that into VLC. Does anyone see an issue with that?

Edit: I already submitted that Beta Form .
                      Last edited by Jake Sinn; 05-22-2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Edit: And from what this thread was originally started, we are no longer using the DVD Player. I have a program on my Mac that I can get movies for free and download as an MP4 file. Then I am putting that into VLC. Does anyone see an issue with that?
                        Ah... A program that downloads movies for free... I'm certain nobody sees any issues with that. I bet the studios will be totally A-OK with it too.

We don't know your setup. If you're using your laptop to control the show, I don't know why you would want to hook-up another monitor to your laptop. The built-in monitor is just that: a monitor. You want to make sure the VLC playback window is on the HDMI port your projector-thingamabob is connected to and you disable the "Embed video in interface" option.

Comment

I edited the settings in VLC.

Considering that the studios don't ask where you got the movie from, I didn't see why that would be a problem. If they're getting their money they should be happy...

And I know this is a cinema projectionist forum, but I'm looking for specific settings I would need to change for a drive-in theater in VLC. I looked at other places, but there's nothing specific to my situation. I wouldn't have known to disable that setting, So any other settings changes, please let me know.

Comment

Considering that the studios don't ask where you got the movie from, I didn't see why that would be a problem. If they're getting their money they should be happy...
                            I can tell you they won't be happy with you, knowing you pirated it via e.g. some torrent site or news service. Also, come on man, what kind of douche are you when you gonna rip movies from the Internet when you're in the exhibition business? Sorry, really no words for something as lame as this.

Besides that, it's a pretty crappy way of getting movies for public display as many of those movies are of questionable quality. If you care one iota about showmanship, you should at least try to get hold of a proper Blu-Ray and make a high-quality (1:1) RIP from there, but I guess we know by now how much you care about showmanship...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

I can tell you they won't be happy with you, knowing you pirated it via e.g. some torrent site or news service. Also, come on man, what kind of douche are you when you gonna rip movies from the Internet when you're in the exhibition business? Sorry, really no words for something as lame as this.

Besides that, it's a pretty crappy way of getting movies for public display as many of those movies are of questionable quality. If you care one iota about showmanship, you should at least try to get hold of a proper Blu-Ray and make a high-quality (1:1) RIP from there, but I guess we know by now how much you care about showmanship...
                              It does not make a difference whether I'm ripping it from DVD, or getting it from online. As long as the quality is the same, I don't see the issue. Of course I care about showmanship. I wouldn't show a 2020 feature in crappy 720p quality. (When it's available in a higher quality.)

Enough about the source of the movie. I just figured I'd ask, and get a respectful response.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is the settings in VLC...

Comment

Come on man, you expect a respectful response if you're going to present people movies you downloaded from a pirate site?

Is there a difference? First of all, there is a moral difference. By downloading those movies from those sources, you actively sustain those activities.

Also, how do you know if the quality is the same without a proper reference? Lame shit dude.

Comment

Working...
                                X