MI7 loud intro warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MI7 loud intro warning

Just a heads up that the 7.1 version at least has a 15 second introduction from Tom Cruise and Chris McQuarrie that is, much like the Top Gun Maverick intro, quite loud and shrill sounding. Not nearly as bad as TG:M but still louder than the dialog in the film proper.

Now there's a useful piece of information!

It sounds like I'll be well advised to put my "feature start" cue fifteen seconds past the start of the movie.

Thanks for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
      Now there's a useful piece of information!

It sounds like I'll be well advised to put my "feature start" cue fifteen seconds past the start of the movie.

Thanks for that!
      I'm hoping you don't mean cutting out the intro and instead are talking about a volume cue. The intro thanks customers for watching the movie on the big screen like top gun. Any time a big actor can talk directly to moviegoers and thank them for being at your theater, it's a good thing.

Keep the intro but use volume cues if you want to turn it down a little. I didn't find it too loud that I wanted to lower the volume but I do agree it's louder than dialog in the movie. No one's going to care or get mad about it. I'd leave it as-is.

Comment

My "feature start" just turns the lights down another notch and cranks the volume up to "feature level".

I never liked that Top Gun intro blasting everyone out of their seat at the start either but somehow never remembered to move that cue so everyone got blasted all week.

Now I'll try to remember to move it next week for this one.

I really don't get it. They spend untold millions on the movie and then can't afford to hire a sound guy to spend ten minutes matching the volume of the intro to the rest of the movie?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the intro was done by a small PR firm very recently with no connection to the film audio. Then they just dropped it in as a separate reel.

Comment

Agreed. But that's still not an excuse for not normalizing the volume.

Did nobody anywhere watch this before sending it out and say, "That's too GD loud!"

Comment

If it was the same people that didn't notice the rainbow halos on certain projector/server combos, then it's doubtful.

Comment

I just got MI7 here and it looks like the greeting we're discussing is actually a separate thing from the feature.

MI7-GREETING_TLR_S_EN-XX_US_51_2K_PC_20230624_DLX_SMPTE_OV

17 seconds, apparently.

On Top Gun that greeting was built-in at the start of the feature and I had assumed we were talking about the same thing here but now I see that it's actually a separate file altogether, at least for me.

Is it built-in on the version(s) you guys got?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox;n31016 (edited)
                  I just got MI7 here and it looks like the greeting we're discussing is actually
                  a separate thing from the feature. Is it built-in on the version(s) you guys got?
                  We got our MI7 content via satellite, and it was part of the feature file, and not a seperate CPL

Comment

Same. Didn't even know it was there until it fired up and I said "Damn that's loud". And it went directly into the feature without any pause and barely a fade out.

Comment

I'll be well advised to put my "feature start" cue fifteen seconds past the start of the movie.
                      I put the feature-level-sound-cue at the 17 second mark. I had it at 20, but that's a little into the intro music (which is very soft). I think at 15 seconds you might still be in the "talking" part. The intro sounds fine at the same level as the trailers.
                      Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 07-17-2023, 10:19 PM.

Comment

For us it ended abruptly at fifteen seconds and the feature immediately started. 16 seconds for the sound cue worked for us.

Comment

Working...
                        X