Cat.862 connection error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat.862 connection error

Cat.862 connection error (DSS200 server)

There has been a problem with the media block for a very long time, over two years.
    If server off at a few hours, then I turn on server have error MediaBlock Cat.862 connection error.
    In this time into System>Devices>Screen Server line with Cat.No 862 appears and disappears.
    Error disappears after 30-60 minutes. Then it work normally, hours, days, weeks,
    until the power goes out again for a few hours.
    I measured the voltages at 4 battery mediablock - is normal.
    I measured the voltages at all points of the medblock, but I didn't find a problem.
    I was able to connect the terminal program to the port RS232 Cat862.
    I see log uboot startup.
    And I see that the media block is loaded in a loop.
    I attached uBoot log 862.txt part of the log, it shows that the download is happening again and again.
    The problem appeared after a long downtime of the server, the cinema did not work for several months.

Maybe someone met such a problem?

UPD.
    In the last line of the log, I see that the media block receives the exact time from the DSS200 server.
    1681188270 INFO Dmtp.DmtpTask : DmtpTask Started, this unix time format 1681188270 = Tue, 11 Apr 2023 04:44:30 GMT
    and further, after a few seconds, the media block starts the download cycle from the very beginning

Comment

I would start by eliminating the two CAT5e cables (typically blue) that connect the CAT862 to the server's motherboard and use a single cable directly from the CAT862 to the motherboard NIC. Remove one of the slot covers so you can route the cable directly and skip the relay board it normally goes though. Also, don't zip-tie the cable like Dolby does (they kink it). You'll find that this does wonders for improving CAT862 connectivity. It is also possible for X7 and X8 motherboards to have flaky NICs (and VGA ports) so don't rule them out. I've never had a CAT862 NIC fail. I've had CAT862s fail, for sure (that is the death of the DSS200) but then the USB port also will not allow connectivity either. Another thing that one can do is obtain the KDM and reinstall the CAT862 firmware and be sure to tick the "reinstall all components" so it gets a good flush.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
        /
        Mediablock and motherboard dss200 direct connected lan-lan without subpcb.

UPD

Next week we plan to replace the hard drives in the server and reinstall the Dolby software. But in fact, we were already reinstalling the software when this error appeared. This didn't solve the problem. Our software 4.9.5.2
        Last edited by Igor Kukuliev; 04-11-2023, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Agreed completely with Steve. The fact that the loss of connection is only intermittent is good news: it means that the cat862 isn't fundamentally borked and NFG. Ever since Steve gave this advice here a few years ago, I've replaced that internal cable, using a shielded one and more gentle turns, three or four times, and it's always fixed the fault. No harm in replacing the external loop jumper cable as well, though, IMHO, it's less likely to be the cause of the trouble.
          Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 04-11-2023, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
            Perhaps I've described the situation too confusingly.
            The problem does not appear during operation.
            A connection error occurs only if the DSS200 has been disconnected from the mains for several hours.
            The cat5e cable was replaced as soon as this problem appeared.
            And it was connected directly from cat.862 to the DSS200 network card, the passive adapter on the rear panel of the DSS200 is not used
            Replacing the sat5e cable didn't fix the problem.

Comment

If you don't have the Mediablock software, obtain it. Use the dedicated software update program and be sure to tick the "reinstall all components"

I'm more inclined to believe that you may have a bad NIC on the motherboard since it has to boot up after a power cycle. If the CAT862 is discoverable via the software update program, then, likely it isn't the CAT862 that is at issue. Again, I've never had one of their NICs go bad...I have had motherboard NICs go bad. Also note, you can't power cycle the server if there is a USB cable plugged into the CAT862...it will never connect to the motherboard. It goes into update mode.

Comment

What makes me thing that the re-installation that Steve is suggesting may bear fruits, is those errors on the log:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k cmdlinepart, errno = 2
                cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
                kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k RedBoot, errno = 2
                RedBoot partition parsing not available​

I google that and I read:
                "error 2 means that the file doesn't exist. See if you actually have a "modprobe" in /sbin"
                I don't know if that /sbin folder was meant to be mounted remotely or locally, nor if that is an error that is usual on all boot sequences. (May be.)
                I don't know a lot, as it seems...
                Even more, if that has anything to do with the delay you experience.
                Yet, if that is abnormal and something is missing there, a re-installation would probably do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                  If the CAT862 is discoverable via the software update program, then, likely it isn't the CAT862 that is at issue.
                  If you're connecting to it via the USB jack, that doesn't rule out the NIC on the cat862 itself being the problem.

Comment

It does not but I've yet to have a CAT862 NIC be an issue. Supermicro MB NICs...yes, I've had those and VGA outputs be problems. I've also had the standalone NICs on a card on the X7 DSS200 systems be problematic. That is why I will not suspect the CAT862 NIC is the issue...it doesn't have the history the other things have.

Of course, since this is a repeatable thing (power down and then power up)...when it is in failure mode, disconnect the Ethernet cable where it attaches to the MB and ping both sides and see who isn't responding.

Comment

The 862 seems to reboot exactly in the same boot phase so I doubt it could be a NIC issue. I'd go with the full reinstall as usual and move from there.

What would normally happen after on a healthy 862 after those logs? I need to dig out some old logs!

Code:
                      Using /lib/modulSystem Started
                      es/2.4.20_mvl31-440gp_eval/secureproc.o
                      insmod: a module named secureproc already exists
                      Using /lib/modules/2.4.20_mvl31-440gp_eval/spg.o
                      insmod: a module named spg already exists
                      1681188143 INFO Dmtp.DmtpTask : DmtpTask Started​

Comment

Working...
                      X